🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 118.5 - MINISODE 118.5

Just out of my own curiosity (potential spoilers for those that have not seen this film yet) did anybody here actually have an electric carver? My family never had one nor did anybody else I knew growing up. After seeing this movie I remember asking my father why don't we have one, and he told me it was because a real man knows how to use a knife.

Maybe it was a regional or generational thing but I was always fascinated by it.

• Like 3

Oh, inanimate objects that are killing things because of demon possession? What a refreshingly original idea that you've totally not overused, Mr King!

• Like 1

Oh, inanimate objects that are killing things because of demon possession? What a refreshingly original idea that you've totally not overused, Mr King!

But this time it was aliens and not supernatural forces!

• Like 2

Did he scare the Hell out of you?

93504cc4e838a328039671787bd4567c.gif

I think I just loaded my pants.......

- Curtis

• Like 2

King✔️

Estevez✔️

Lisa Simpson✔️

AC/DC✔️

FUCK YEAH!

• Like 5

But this time it was aliens and not supernatural forces!

Sorry. I always get it mixed up with Carrie/From a Buick 8/The Mangler/half of the rest of his "horror" stuff.

E: I meant Christine, but I'm going to keep my mistake up there and wear it like badge of honor.

• Like 2

From a Buick 8 though wasn't really about a killer car, it was more of a portal between dimension. If you're looking to hate on authors that go to the same well over and over, look at James Patterson and Dean Koontz. King was always pretty good about diversifying his resume, especially as of late with his crime series trilogy that started with Mr. Mercedes.

Paul listed his favorite scary movies as Jaws, The Babadook, The Others and then something about kids hanging and Connecticut. I thought he might mean The Haunting in Connecticut but no kids were hanged in that movie. Does anybody know which movie(s) Paul was talking about?

Let's list our favorite scary movies too. That's fun, yes? Here are mine.

My absolute absolute favorites are:

Aliens

The Silence of the Lamb

The Shining

Seven

I've watched these movies countless times.

The rest of my favorites are:

It Follows

The Babadook

The Descent

Lake Mungo

Event Horizon

The Strangers

30 Days of Night

A Tale of Two Sisters

ETA: Frailty. h/t Cam Bert.

From a Buick 8 though wasn't really about a killer car, it was more of a portal between dimension. If you're looking to hate on authors that go to the same well over and over, look at James Patterson and Dean Koontz. King was always pretty good about diversifying his resume, especially as of late with his crime series trilogy that started with Mr. Mercedes.

I'm not trying to hate on anyone. I'm actually a Stephen King fan; there's just a common through line that I was pointing out. Just because others do it more often doesn't invalidate that point.

That said, I'm more of a fan of King's non-horror work. He's an excellent writer, but I prefer when he either explores outside of that genre or combines it with other genres (e.g., The Stand, The Dark Tower series, and the Mr Mercedes series).

Paul listed his favorite scary movies as Jaws, The Babadook, The Others and then something about kids hanging and Connecticut. I thought he might mean The Haunting in Connecticut but no kids were hanged in that movie. Does anybody know which movie(s) Paul was talking about?

My absolute absolute favorites are:

Aliens

The Silence of the Lamb

The Shining

Seven

I've watched these movies countless times.

I'll go with Alien over Aliens. I think the latter is a great sci-fi/horror movie, but Alien is one of those movies that still creeps me out even though I've seen it dozens of times.

Here are my top five:

The Thing (the 1982 one)

Alien

Halloween

The Babadook

A Nightmare on Elm Street

I'm a big pre-1990 John Carpenter fan, so I love the rest of the Apocalypse Trilogy, too.

• Like 2

Does anybody know which movie(s) Paul was talking about?

might be The Conjuring directed by show favourite james wan. thats where we got our first glimpse of annabelle

the trouble with alot of horror movies is they dont know how to end them. the conjuring suffered from that. so did the babadook. even all the way back to rosemarys baby. you have 80 mins of extreme tension and the last 10 completely fall flat.

they also date very fast. kinda like technology movies. so if i was picking 5 standout horrors it would be looking back on how i felt while watching them at that time (age), so bare with me:

- the exorcist - creeped the shite out me

- ringu / ju - un / audition - i went thru a j-horror phase. i watched ringu late at night and in an empty house. a fun experience. i had never seen anything like it before. then hollywood ruined them

- texas chainsaw massacre - the noises in this film are incredible ... they just bury into your brain and raise the tension to almost unbearable levels .. a trick missed by all the remakes/sequels

- saw - they became an annual event for me but more just for a laugh. the first one is still a classic though.

- halloween - nuff said

- evil dead 1 + 2 - a joy to watch even now

other notables:

- paranormal activity 1

- hellraiser

- candyman

- misery

- the alien movies

- v/h/s

- let me in

i could go on ... horror is definitely my favourite genre. but, again, if i rewatched alot of these today id probably laugh at them

• Like 1

2cgfzar.jpg

been waiting for this one for a long time.

Fullsized version of that madness

Please note this is my last poster I am posting, I made it months ago and so I posted here for you all to enjoy.

I hope these have made your day and given you a good laugh. that's all I ever wanted out of them. Respect.

• Like 5

I'm not trying to hate on anyone. I'm actually a Stephen King fan; there's just a common through line that I was pointing out. Just because others do it more often doesn't invalidate that point.

That said, I'm more of a fan of King's non-horror work. He's an excellent writer, but I prefer when he either explores outside of that genre or combines it with other genres (e.g., The Stand, The Dark Tower series, and the Mr Mercedes series).

I've loved King's work for years but his success rate with film adaptations have been pretty bad. There is a great book out from the FAQ series that covers all of King's books up to the most recent Carrie I believe. In it, it describes how Dino de Laurentiis basically bought all the rights to King's books, some even before they were published, in the late 70s into the 80s. He then fired them out as quickly as he could to cash in on King's booming popularity. King would eventually talk him into letting him direct this movie after getting fed up with the low quality of the other films. I'm actually excited/worried about how they are going to handle this slew of remakes that are coming out for The Stand and It as those are massive pieces of work to fit into a 2 1/2 hr movie, the recent shitfest that was Under the Dome has only made me more worried as that was related to the source material for about two episodes. Then it's been announced that the first Dark Tower movie will be coming out in early 2017 and I have no idea how they are going to transfer that epic into a film.

As far as favorite horror movies goes:

John Carpenter's The Thing

Cabin In the Woods

Friday the 13th Part 4

A Nightmare On Elm Street

Trick 'R' Treat

• Like 2

Holy shit, you guys are about to watch my FAVORITE. MOVIE. EVER.

Seriously, my father (Whom passed away 4 years ago) was a horror fanatic, showed me films like Carpenter's The Thing, Clive Barker's Rawhead Rex, and Romero's Day of the Dead when i was 5 or 6 years old. Maximum Overdrive kicks ass!! It's like Transformers, but instead of cool sexy cars transforming into robots, Turkey Cutters and Lawnmowers are possessed by demons and cut you. Yes, a Turkey Cutter becomes posessed and kills people. Also, Emilio Estevez pulls an RPG out of his ass at some point. Ohh man, you guys are going to LOVE how horrible this film is, its so bad that its amazing.

Oh my god, that trailer is 100% completely Garth Marenghi's Darkplace. That is amazing.

"Smooth, like ice! Cold to the touch but it wasnt very nice!"

I fucking miss Garth Marenghi's Darkplace!

• Like 2

I am 2 minutes in and already on board. Was a title card of info one of Paul's signs of a bad movie?

• Like 1

This god damn movie was garbage.

Why do the trucks keep "roaring"?

Why does the film treat their windscreens like "eyes"?

How weird is it to hear Liza Simpson every couple minutes?

ACDC suck

This movie is fucking boring

Whoever said this is good; defend yourself.

also ... how long before paul or jason bring up stephen kings accident?

Also how long before Jason goes into comic book talk about the Green Goblin?

Well most of the ones I would say have already been mentioned (John Carpenter's The Thing is easy one of my all time favourite movies) but here are a few maybe under the radar films that are scary but maybe not traditionally scary.

Frailty - The story of a father who goes a little crazy and takes his two young children with him and involves them on his quest to kill people who are really demons in disguise. This movie works for me because it could very easily be a true story.

May - A shy girl develops a crush and falls in love with not so positive results.

Pontypool - A small Canadian city is overrun by zombies but rather than see it we hear about it via the people trapped at the local radio station. Stephen McHatty makes up for Theodore Rex is this great example of creating tension and fear without really showing anything.

End of the Line - People on a subway car clash with a doomsday cult. Not really all that scary, but just a good little Canadian horror film that I think more people should see.

• Like 1

Just out of my own curiosity (potential spoilers for those that have not seen this film yet) did anybody here actually have an electric carver? My family never had one nor did anybody else I knew growing up. After seeing this movie I remember asking my father why don't we have one, and he told me it was because a real man knows how to use a knife.

Maybe it was a regional or generational thing but I was always fascinated by it.

My mid western family was the same way, so I had never used one. But I dated a girl whose father used one and I was quite impressed with how easy and quick it was!

I have never used ones though.

• Like 2

I can understand how some of this movie happened because of the rampant cocaine use on-set, but that is only part of the insanity of this movie. From the Totally Rockin' music choices that seem pulled from the soundtrack to a never-produced Roadhouse sequel to the goofy special effects to the cartoon-toned ADR lines, it's clear the drug use (or their effects) lasted long into post-production.

Also, I don't know if I've ever been as viscerally repulsed by a cast's physical appearance in a movie since I first watched Pink Flamingos.

Guys, everything about this movie is fucking bonkers. I can't imagine boiling it all down to a 90ish minute episode.

• Like 1