Episode 31 — Dragon Boy Suede and Oates

27 replies to this topic

#1 Frank Cappello

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 11:40 PM

We’re back for another week on Who Charted? and this week we have a guest who has just recently topped the charts as one half of Garfunkel & Oates: Kate Micucci! Kate tries her hand at Chart Roulette and discusses the movie chart in addition to helping us through our first ever college radio chart. What more could you want from the sweetest girl in all of comedy? Maybe a bonus cable television ratings chart? Well, since you asked so nicely, you can find that online at Earwolf.com where you can also submit your entries in the I Heal With My Steel video contest!

#2 Julia Hays

Earwolf Friend

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey native. New to Los Angeles.

Posted 06 July 2011 - 01:21 AM

FYI: It's not possible to stream the episode on the Earwolf page. The 'Download mp3' link is working though.

#3 jughead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 04:40 AM

I was able to stream it, but it took a minute or so to start up.

#4 Caroline Anderson

Earwolf Incarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 04:59 AM

I'm streaming it just fine. I think you might have just hit it during a glitchy time.

#5 Caroline Anderson

Earwolf Incarnate

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 05:28 AM

Okay, the episode is streaming but not the bonus charts. I'll look into this!

#6 Michael Wo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 06:17 AM

You guys really don't know about Sonic Youth?

#7 Andres Lucero

Stupid dumb-dumb

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:25 AM

Thanks y'all - the links & streams should all be working now!

#8 marcin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:26 AM

Just like Howard didn't get "my coochie" Micucci, I just got that "Who Charted" was a play on "who farted," after 30 episodes. It never occurred to me that a comedy show about charts would have a pun in the title. It also helps that Howard never talks about farts. I honestly would not have figured it out on my own.

#9 Gym Sockerman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:01 AM

It makes me angry how attractive Kate Micucci.
Another fantastic episode!

#10 MattMan

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationRiver Grove, IL

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:38 AM

Love Kate, can't wait to listen!

#11 Kulap

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:20 AM

Michael, I know Sonic Youth! I got caught up in playing with Howard per usual.

#12 Michael Wo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:34 AM

Old people be confused about old college rock bands...

#13 Phil

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:51 AM

I met Kate MIccuci once a few years ago. It was maybe a day or two after seeing her at the Tomorrow show and I told her how great she was, and then let her go about her business at WaMu because I was almost certain I frightened her. It was like approaching an adorable woodland creature who plays catchy ukulele songs about other woodland creatures.

#14 Jeff1326657679

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 11:59 AM

Commenting to show my appreciation of the chai tea song.

#15 Ben1326657701

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:20 PM

Kate Miccuci is utterly adorable. There just has to be some horrible dark side she keeps hidden from the public right? Maybe it'll come out some day in Garfunkel and Oates behind the music.

#16 Nick Scholer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 02:56 PM

Howard - "What can be said about you, Kate?"

Made me laugh more than anything else in the podcast. I don't know why...

#17 Todd Mason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 03:29 PM

Imagine my delight...I just bought tickets to Tig Notaro's show at Helium 20 minutes before starting up this WC?, and Helium has yet to acknowledge Micucci as the opening act. (Sorry, Howard...it seems that your show's title encourages intestinal humor no matter how sliced.) So, I hope that's all squared away. Helps make up for the newly-announced Raincoats tour skipping over us from NYC to DC (to play a pizza joint, but what punk band can not play DC) (and what DC pizzaria can get by on just their pizza?).

I think Nellie McKay (no, not Ian nor Alec MacKaye, though surely Ukegazi/Ukebrace is on the horizon) has the intermittently angsty uke role all locked up, though some of the G&O songs do indeed Hint at Darker Things. Albeit charmingly and disarmingly cheerfully. (Uku Threat.) Maybe Zee Avi (aka KokoKaina), she of "Bitter Heart," holds the middle ground.

For the ukulele virtuoso, I think you were thinking of Jake Shimabukuro...fwiw a Japanese rather than Hawaiian surname. But it's been a while since anyone has come to everyday-reference (at least in the contiguous 48) ukulele-playing in the manner of Tiny Tim or Arthur Godfrey. Israel Kamakawiwo'ole or some years back Moe Keale might occur to some Mainlanders. (Young people like Ms. Micucci be messing up the old college-rockers/pop-punks, Michael...the bearded old [enough] folks are counting the ukulele players.)

#18 Todd Mason

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 95 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 03:40 PM

Or, even, pizzeria.

#19 Good

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:11 PM

Great episode. Can't wait for Have A Summah Fest. I sure hope Kulap gets in that bouncy house.

#20 rodney1326657703

• Members
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:59 PM

clicked on play, still waiting for some Summa Cum Laude... it's still not streaming... maybe earwolf can post to soundcloud maybe?