🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
agata

Episode 61 — Pauly Shore, Our Close Friend

Lots of good stuff there. I see a bunch of british comedies but no Look Around You or Garth Marenghi, check those out if you haven't! Garth Marenghi is probably in my top 5 tv shows of all time.

Oh I love those two shows!! I am sure I forgot a ton in my lists. Speaking of Garth Marenghi, I also love Man to Man with Dean Learner. I will watch anything that Matthew Holness and Richard Ayoade do. They are hilarious!

Any other suggestions though? I am always looking for another show to watch. I'm pretty much like Mike Teavee

• Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hki4bpY-nOs

Yikes there's a bunch of British shows I left out of my lists. I also like Spaced and Black Books. I watched a lot of Ab Fab and French and Saunders in my youth. I also like I'm Alan Partridge, lots of Steve Coogan stuff actually, and anything Armando Iannucci does.

• Like 3

Wow. All of a sudden I am feeling very pathetic. I watch too much tv. I need to turn my life around.

• Like 2

Noooo tv is the greatest thing ever, you need to watch more not less!

I'm trying to think of some more, it seems like you've got basically all my favorites listed except for maybe Burning Love, Flight of the Conchords, and Hot Package (although the Totally 4 Teens pilot was so much better and it really should have been picked up by AS).

Seriously people, if you haven't seen Totally 4 Teens.

• Like 5

Lots of good stuff there. I see a bunch of british comedies but no Look Around You or Garth Marenghi, check those out if you haven't! Garth Marenghi is probably in my top 5 tv shows of all time.

For other good british stuff I recommend that you should go back in time a little and look at "A Bit of Fry and Laurie," and "Not Only But Also." If you haven't already. For me, my favorite music that not a ton of people already know about is Jim White (his first album is "Wrong Eyed Jesus") and I also super love Grant Lee Buffalo.

• Like 2

Dog Bites Man!!!! Dog Bites Man is one of the funniest shows ever made. It's a part sketch, part improv, part hidden camera show about a shitty news crew. Matt Walsh, Zach Galifianakis, AD Miles, and Andrea Savage. Annnddd the whole series is only $10 on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007CU8P8K/ref=pd_luc_rh_sim_02_04_t_lh?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Buy it now! Buy it now!

• Like 10

You like good TV, AV. Garth Marenghi and Dean Lerner are two of my favourite characters. Alan Partridge is one of my faves as well. I like the UK Office as well, and Extras (not as much), but I don't like Gervais anymore, so I don't go yelling about them. I also liked the US Office, in its prime. I liked the first 2 seasons of Community. MST3K. Comedy Bang Bang. Spaced. Party Down. Larry Sanders. Review. Seinfeld. Most of these are pretty obvious.

I've never heard of that, VB. This looks really good.

• Like 3

I can't watch Nathan for You because I wish he'd just go away and not bother these poor hard-working small business owners.

I get what you mean. But the Claw of Shame and the last bit of the Gas Station Rebate episode are two of the best things I've ever seen.

• Like 2

For all those three other people who care about this:

CT from The Real World & The Challenge is on the "The In Addition Tos" episode of Kroll Show, which is interesting.

• Like 4

First, I haven't seen Hot Package and will check it out. T4T was dope! (It seemed appropriate to use the word dope after watching that.)

I've seen some Fry and Laurie but will definitely check out more. I love QI and Stephen Fry is amazing!

Valerie, I remember when Dog Bites Man was about to come out on Comedy Central but I never watched it for some reason. Past Anastasia was an idiot to pass it up because it looks amazing!!! I will watch it asap.

Yay! New shows! My sad life continues!!!

• Like 2

You like good TV, AV. Garth Marenghi and Dean Lerner are two of my favourite characters. Alan Partridge is one of my faves as well. I like the UK Office as well, and Extras (not as much), but I don't like Gervais anymore, so I don't go yelling about them. I also liked the US Office, in its prime. I liked the first 2 seasons of Community. MST3K. Comedy Bang Bang. Spaced. Party Down. Larry Sanders. Review. Seinfeld. Most of these are pretty obvious.

I've never heard of that, VB. This looks really good.

Oh I loooove Party Down. Such a good show. And I heartily agree about all of the other shows you listed. I just rewatched the first season of Seinfeld over the Thanksgiving weekend and even the early awkward episodes are so good.

Concerning Ricky Gervais, I completely agree with you. The Office was great. Extras was also really good, at least the first season. I also liked his animated show on HBO. But his later stuff was no good. He just kept the meanness and lost the funny. There was no more heart to his shows. It was just cheap laughs at someone's expense.

• Like 2

I see a lot of British comedies but no Snuff Box, with Matt Berry and Rich Fulcher. Seconding Man to Man and Darkplace.

• Like 1

Chanson's dissertation made me think of how weird we all are, and I'm curious to what kind of weird movies/musics/tvs you guys enjoy? Eric Andre Show is hilarious, probs my favorite show on tv right now. Wet Hot American Summer be my all time movie of the lifetime. Anddddd the new Panda Bear album leaked and it is glorious, album of the next year for sure..

I am with you on all of that 100%. Now here's the clincher. Is Stella one of your favorite TV shows? It died way too soon.

• Like 2

Did you guys see Derek? What the fuck was that? If not for K Pilks it would probably be the worst show of all time.

Oh and VB I completely forgot about Dog Bites Man, those bastards took it off netflix! Definitely buying that dvd for an xmas gift thanks!

edit: Velvet Revolver, do I like Stella? No.

Do I love it?

Yes! The Stella Shorts are my most prized possession.

oh oh final edit: The Inbetweeners is another funny fuckin show.

• Like 2

I watched a good chunk of seasons of the UK show Misfits (troubled Brits with superpowers). This crazy guy Rudy just walked around playing ukulele so I got me one and now I know like 5 songs, poorly. TV is GOOD. It seems like adult swim and other strangeness can serve as identifiers to see how deep some body is into "IT." I don't have a water cooler at work but if I did it'd suck if it was all Madmens and Survivors. Note: I hope H & S were only doing ironical Art when they tried to talk about that one thing. But I am relatively new and possibly still somewhat of a threat to homeostasis. I only just got Netflix and have never owned a mack produck. No laptop, just a knapsack and sackcloth.

For me, HH is like punk rock. Someone comes at you polite and friendly and part of you kind of wants to mispronounce their name and be 27% rude because to just play nice and get along 100% is usually boring and no fun. A big part of the guys' style is like a middle finger up in the air aimed at convention and the norm (which is sketchy because of how beloved Cheers is). This is where the popcorn ends. Screw those communist sidewalks.

KROLL SHOW!! If i had a water cooler that would be the discussion. With a little bit of Squidbillies & ATHF

• Like 3

I see a lot of British comedies but no Snuff Box, with Matt Berry and Rich Fulcher. Seconding Man to Man and Darkplace.

Andrew, yes! Talk to me about British TV! Snuff Box is great and so weird. Matt Berry is incredible. He kills me just with the rhythm of his speech. What other gems are there?

Also, has anyone seen The Modest Adventures of David O'Doherty or Fancy Vittles with Maeve Higgins? Two Irish shows that are super funny.

When I saw this week's guest I was like whoa more like Pauly Score! But then I read the comments I was like oh no I hope this interview isn't more like a Pauly Chore, or worse yet, a Pauly Snore! When it started was like uh oh, maybe I should show myself to the Pauly Door, but then everybody jumped on Engineer Cody's mistake and I was all ROPFLMAO (rolling on the pauly floor laughing my a** off). In my opinion, when it was all said and done, what you've got are the two graham cracker hosts, a sweet soft marshmallow called Cody and bitter chunk'a chocolate of a guest, baby that's what I call a Pauly S'more. Deeelish..

• Like 11

Hey just a heads up to everyone that thinks Pauly Shore is not funny and didn't do a good job on the show: Turns out you are EHHH, wrong and he actually LIKES to be not very successful and have not many people like him. He thinks it's funny to fly in coach. But he still gets to have tons of sex all the time so turns out everything is pretty nice for the ol' Baby Weaz and actually YOU are the one with the bad life

http://www.latimes.c...1204-story.html

• Like 10

I've been bad at posting lately, but I was wondering if any of the Bay Area people on here might want to get a drink or something over the holidays?? It could be fun, we can gossip about which host is cuter and who we dislike on the forums in person. I saw a show with Andy Kneis recently, so I don't know if that proves I'm not a crazy person or a murderer. Hit me up on fb if you're interested!

• Like 6

I've been bad at posting lately, but I was wondering if any of the Bay Area people on here might want to get a drink or something over the holidays?? It could be fun, we can gossip about which host is cuter and who we dislike on the forums in person. I saw a show with Andy Kneis recently, so I don't know if that proves I'm not a crazy person or a murderer. Hit me up on fb if you're interested!

I'm not on fb but I would be into a meet up.

• Like 3

Andrew, yes! Talk to me about British TV! Snuff Box is great and so weird. Matt Berry is incredible. He kills me just with the rhythm of his speech. What other gems are there?

Matt Berry is currently in the second(?) series ofToast of London - it's alright, nothing special.

Green Wing is very good, haven't seen many others like it (it had a less funny follow up called Campus). Sort of sketch-y sitcom with some interesting camera stuff going on.

The Thick of It (and the spin-off movie In The Loop) - British Veep.

Twenty Twelve and W1A - mockumentaries (familiarity with the London Olympics and the BBC respectively will help).

Fresh Meat - comedy about uni freshers in a shared house. Has some very accurate jokes about British student life.

Peep Show - sitcom shot POV-style about a pair of odd couple housemates. Absolutely brilliant.

The League of Gentlemen - black comedy sketch show, grotesque characters. Starting to feel a little outdated but still good; see also Psychoville and Inside No. 9 from the same writers.

Limmy's Show - Scottish sketch show. Warning: thick Glaswegian accent.

8 Out Of 10 Cats Does Countdown - a mash-up between a panel show and a quiz show that becomes better than the sum of it's parts.

15 Storeys High - bleak but fantastic sitcom that literally no one else I know has seen.

The Day Today and Brass Eye - pitch perfect spoofs of British news and current affairs shows by Chris Morris and others. Source of the Alan Partridge character.

Stewart Lee's Comedy Vehicle - a stand up set with some satirical interview segments cut in. Left-leaning and middle class if that's a problem, but probably the best British stand-up at the moment. His book How I Escaped My Certain Fate is annotated transcripts of a few of his shows, it's so interesting.

Nathan Barley - very cult sitcom by Chris Morris and Charlie Brooker. Another gem that hardly anyone has seen.

Shooting Stars - absurdist panel show, hit and miss but if you like that style it can be hilarious.

Getting On - sitcom set on an NHS ward, dark and not really laugh out loud but I like it.

The Royle Family - sitcom based around a 'normal' family. I've never actually seen a full episode of this, but I know it's got a lot of praise and Bob Odenkirk said it was his favourite show.

Phoenix Nights - sitcom set in a working men's club in the North.

• Like 5

I'm not on fb but I would be into a meet up.

I'm going to be in the East Bay for a few days during around Christmastime with my family. I might not be able to make it out but I will be in town so who knows!!

Also just a warning to anyone who might want to meet with Asteck AKA ADAM in real life: he is a hardcore chiller and will start chilling out with little to no prior warning

• Like 5

Thank you, Andrew! This list is amazing!

I have seen The Thick of It, Fresh Meat, Peep Show, The League of Gentlemen, and Nathan Barley. All of which are very good. I especially like Nathan Barley. Poor Pingu, although he did go on to have quite a successful career in films. B)

But I have not seen the rest and will definitely check them out. There is a new American version of Getting On with Alex Borstein that I heard is good, but I haven't watched it yet.

• Like 1

I'm going to be in the East Bay for a few days during around Christmastime with my family. I might not be able to make it out but I will be in town so who knows!!

Also just a warning to anyone who might want to meet with Asteck AKA ADAM in real life: he is a hardcore chiller and will start chilling out with little to no prior warning

I'm in the East Bay and I go on furlough between 12/24 and 1/1 so I will be cold hard chillin' that whole time. If anyone wants to meet up, let me know. Let's make this happen, Andy. Are you doing any stand up while you're here? If not, do you want to?

• Like 2

BRASS EYE. One of the greatest shows ever.

Father Ted is an Irish comedy that's very broad and silly, but I like it. Maybe just because I'm Irish. Father Ted is like part of our culture. It's a Graham Linehan show. The guy behind Black Books and the IT Crowd.

If anyone finds themselves wandering around the south-east of Ireland for some reason, look me up.

• Like 2