🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
waxpop

Great episodes to introduce someone to CBB?

Apologies if this topic has already been discussed, but I'm looking to introduce a friend who is a casual comedy fan (she likes Who Charted? and has recently gotten into Spontaneanation) to CBB.

Despite the fact that I've been listening to CBB since the beginning I'm having trouble coming up with some good introductory episodes for her to try. She loves PFT, but I'm looking for episodes that hopefully don't build too much on previous episodes she hasn't listened to yet. I was scrolling through the list of episodes he's been on but it's been a while (been a while) since I listened to some of the older ones and just staring at the list is not reminding me of which ones are especially wonderful. I have a feeling she would like Mantzoukas, too, but there's no need to stick to just those two people.

Any ideas?

My first CBB episode was actually PFT as Werner with Benny Swas. I think that's a good starter episode re: the gist of how CBB episodes work. It's got a celebrity impression, they play Would You Rather, etc

• Like 1

My first ep was 148 Wipeout; Dalton Wilcox and Zouks. I think it's a good intro to the format of the show (there are many) and of course hilarious.

• Like 2

These are all GREAT suggestions! You guys reminded me of some of my faves. Thank you!

Can't go wrong with Time Bobby. Mayor of Hollywood, Farts & Procreation, I like the episode where Andy Daly introduces Byron Denniston but the first twenty minutes is basically an ad for a comedy show from two years ago. If you want to really test her patience throw Grounded Me@ at her.

• Like 1

My way into CBB was a 2011 live ep of WTF #201 that featured Bob Ducca. That led me to YouTube clips of CBB(CDR) #51.5 which features an amazing exchange between Tig and Bob. It's part 2 of the One Year Anniversary shows. Both are amazing, high-energy, filled with hilarious songs and riffs and a killer rotating line-up of all the favorites.

148 definitely. Dalton Wilcox. J-Man. Scotty Anchorman. Beachfront propertyyyyyyy.... I've brought many friends to the light with this one

About a year ago, I went on a road trip with some friends and played episode 305 (Kulap & Howard plus Gino) just because it was the ep that was up that week. For the rest of the week, we were yelling "Summah!" all over Montana.

It may seem like a bit of a darkhorse, but I can report from personal experience that ep 305 has created CBB and Whooch fans.

The one that really got me into it was #44 - the interplay between ALW and El Chupacabra is/was gold.

If your friend has gotten into Spontaneanation, it's probably not a bad idea to have some PFT in there.

Agree, my top two recs are Time Bobby and August Lindt.

I will say this:

MY first episode was Tom Leykis and Amy Poehler. I had no clue what was happening, was mildly terrified, but laughed so hard there was no turning back. On the other hand, I introduced my girl to CBB through the Tom Leykis Amy Poehler ep, and she was COMPLETELY terrified by Leykis, and never listened again. Oops.

So yeah. Probably August Lindt or Time Bobby. Maybe, if you're going on a road trip, the Gillian Jacobs/Garry Marshall series.

The whole Daly-Mantzoukas saga is pretty awesome, but the earlier Daly ones (70 something/80 something/90 something) might be better for newcomers. I remember the first ep that got me laughing like a maniac was the one of Nick Kroll and Paul Scheer doing Sly and Frank. Anything with Benny Schwa is valid, too.

That Adomian Poehler show mentioned by Mr. Reeses Pieces was one of my first shows as well, and I heard it recently and it's still fucking awesome.

I would recommend that you directed any newcomer to the Brett Gelman episodes, too, ep. 36 where he's first banned for iBrain, and ep. 66b with "

".

A Peanut in the Rain. Oddly, for once, the Gilly/Garry backstory explanation helps. And you quickly get lost in the Garry magic.

I second iBrain. It was my first episode and it was a great intro. I've been listening the second they release ever since.

FnP is also a pretty good intro point, as it would probably help you get used to characters. I didn't get or like hearing them until I heard about 10 eps, and FnPs characters are so lax that it would ease you into the idea of them quickly. Although you did say she listens to Spontaneanation, so that work is probably done already. So, iBrain!

One I've tried with people is the Patton Oswalt/Andy Daly show where we learn about Don Dimello's upbringing and stage productions. Patton is a perfect "real" guest because he gets it and sets up Andy so perfectly. I still love the punchline after Patton talks about the first memory he has is of seeing beautiful snowfall in the winter and asks what Don's first memory is.

• Like 1

My first was the solo bolo, but that was as I was an established benny schwah fan, I think out of no where it's not necessarily indicative of the show in general.

As something that will make someone go " I have to hear more of this madness" I'm going to second (third? Fourth?) Time Bobby.

(Good work on introducing someone to CBB btw, I had such a crush on the dude who introduced me to it just cos it made such an impact on me, introducing someone to something amazing is just the best personality traitna person can have...everyone should make people in their lives listen/watch cool shit!)

• Like 1