🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 137.5 - Minisode 137.5

Hear which Sean Connery film will be next on today's minisode! Paul admits he was wrong, we figure out what is the proper use of Shakespeare, and June shares her take on big belts. Send your own voicemail explanation hopes for Paul to answer by calling 619-PAUL ASK. Later, we hear Blake Harris interview director of The Avengers Jeremiah S. Chechik. Read the full interview over at www.slashfilm.com! Plus, Corrections and Omissions for The Avengers!

This episode is sponsored by Squarespace.

WATCH Filthy Preppy Teen$ on the FullScreen App today! Get yourself a BB-8 “What Is Its Mission?” T-shirt or Tote Bag over at http://howdidthisgetmade.bigcartel.com/ Set your DVRs for Party Over Here, a new FOX sketch comedy show from The Lonely Island and Paul starring Nicole Byer, Jessica McKenna, and Alison Rich. It airs Saturdays at 11 pm. People of the internet: Watch Paul in Fresh off the Boat on ABC. Awhile ago, Paul and Rob Huebel did a comedy special on a 60 foot glass bus that traveled around LA. Now you’ll be able to see it. Go to https://itun.es/us/3M4J9 now to buy it! You can also see Jason in Transparent on Amazon! Also, check out June in Grace and Frankie available on Netflix, and in all the episodes of NTSF:SD:SUV:: on HULU for free, and Jason in The Dictator (he’s still in it!).

Okay, firstly, I would like to extend a heartfelt "Bless you" to June for when she sneezed in the background during Paul's ad read.

Secondly; Big Belts are great, Exhibit A

2462de1dd3145640c92480933c2c6206_crop_north.jpg?w=630&h=420&q=75

Finally; Dammit Paul, it's almost as if you want me to Powerbomb you at this point!

tumblr_o7lzq6j7KY1sj4xr4o1_400.gif

• Like 2

DRAGONHEART!! I saw this when I was young. I am excited to rewatch.

I did notice Uma Thurman's big, big belt and thought it was odd. (If it's a one piece, why do you need a belt?) But I think it covered her stomach some so that would make me feel a bit better if I were wearing it.

Taylor Anne, congrats on new fave status.

• Like 5

No, no -- Go ahead and buy Dragonheart: It's a pretty good film. Really no reason to do this movie.

• Like 5

No, no -- Go ahead and buy Dragonheart: It's a pretty good film. Really no reason to do this movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pUbYKd8TVU

this is a film i remember never seeing but i did watch the trailer for and thinking at the time i wish there was a commentary track with this. because I have a vision of sean connery in a taping room, saying " what the fuck am I a talking dragon!!!"

Has anyone read the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik? (http://www.naominovik.com/temeraire/) It's about dragons fighting Napoleon. And their training grounds are in Scotland, so I kind of think the Sean Connery voice might be historically accurate.

/confuses fiction with reality

• Like 2

Just started listening. So far two things.

1. Ain't nothing wrong with Aha! I only just got sick of "Take on me" and when that happens, I listen to genre bending covers... Like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJuwdcQlT1g

2. I Unironically love "Drgonheart" ... Dammit! haha! It's part of my childhood. It was also around the same time I started having crushes on villains in movies, and I had such a huge crush on David Thewlis. ^.^ His character is such a little shit.

edit: I hope my bringing up the DragonHeart soundtrack during the "The Quest" episode wasn't what inspired this.

• Like 4

Maybe it's just nostalgia talking, but I don't think DragonHeart is a bad movie at all. Sure, a film about a talking dragon is silly, but I think they pulled it off quiet well. Plus the score is one of my all time favorites.

• Like 1

Started Dragonheart just now. I think they took the same approach to accents as DungeonSiege.

Update: ... I think I kind of liked this one, guys. I mean I have notes but it's only like half a page.

• Like 2

Yeah, its a pretty decent entertaining well made film. A bit of a bizarre choice so I hope they have some weird off the wall plan of approaching it.

What good Connery flick next? The Man Who Would Be King? Awesome movie!

manking4.jpg

Has anyone read the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik? (http://www.naominovik.com/temeraire/) It's about dragons fighting Napoleon. And their training grounds are in Scotland, so I kind of think the Sean Connery voice might be historically accurate.

/confuses fiction with reality

I love those books. The new, I think final one, is due out soon.

I had to wipe a solitary manly tear away* when I read the part about that heartless bastard Rankin being forced to console poor dying wee Levitas.

* By 'wipe a solitary manly tear away' I actually mean blubbed like a well skelped kid.

• Like 1

i watched the hitcher last. its nuts. the phase "well that escalated quickly" came to mind. but on the dvd there is a very interesting extra with a title that caught my eye ... but its well worth a watch if you can find it

9awz8o.jpg

and just on a fun note ... how did this get left in the movie .. had to rewind a few times

hitcherkick.gif

• Like 2

This is clearly one of director Rob Cohen's better films next to Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story and the original Fast and the Furious. It was even nominated for an Academy Award for Best Visual Effects, making it one of the few Oscar-nominated films (Toys, Junior, Con Air, Face/Off) to ever be covered on this show!

• Like 1

we are not really going to get into a philosophical discussion if dragons could talk here are we?

eqqjy1.jpg

• Like 1

Um...I'm with you guys. Why this movie? There are far worse Sean Connery movies. I just finished watching it, and, no, it's not the greatest movie ever, but I found it to be pretty good. I guess, like a solid C+--neither crazy, nor bad enough to really have much to say about it. I just don't see enough meat on the bones on this one.

I think it works as a kids' movie and it works as a fairy tale. I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to looking for here...David Thewlis' acting and making fun of his hair? I mean, is that, like, it? Yeah, kind of crazy, I guess...

I guess I just have to wait and see what they have to say. I'm just sort of perplexed is all...

post-11357-I-don-t-get-it-At-all-5dWP.gif

• Like 2

Um...I'm with you guys. Why this movie? There are far worse Sean Connery movies. I just finished watching it, and, no, it's not the greatest movie ever, but I found it to be pretty good. I guess, like a solid C+--neither crazy, nor bad enough to really have much to say about it. I just don't see enough meat on the bones on this one.

why is it that when ever anyone talks about Sean Connery i quickly think about this scene from trainspotting.

• Like 4

i watched the hitcher last. its nuts. the phase "well that escalated quickly" came to mind. but on the dvd there is a very interesting extra with a title that caught my eye ... but its well worth a watch if you can find it

9awz8o.jpg

and just on a fun note ... how did this get left in the movie .. had to rewind a few times

hitcherkick.gif

OMG. So, weirdly enough, I've never seen the original Hitcher movie (Or the weird remake) but I HAVE seen the hilariously awful straight to DVD sequel "Hitcher 2" starring C. Thomas Howell

for like the first 10 minutes

and Jake Busey. It's wonderfully terrible. and I can't help but talk about the Asylum's "H.G. Wells War of the Worlds" along with it because it also has C. Thoms Howell and Jake Busey and is outstandingly dreadful in all the best worst ways. (I haven't seen the sequel to that though. I'm not brave enough)

I love those books. The new, I think final one, is due out soon.

I had to wipe a solitary manly tear away* when I read the part about that heartless bastard Rankin being forced to console poor dying wee Levitas.

Levitas!

* By 'wipe a solitary manly tear away' I actually mean blubbed like a well skelped kid.

Fuck Rankin he's my list favorite character in the history of fiction and they gave him another goddamn dragon too! I deserve a dragon more!

I think it works as a kids' movie and it works as a fairy tale. I'm not really sure what I'm supposed to looking for here...David Thewlis' acting and making fun of his hair? I mean, is that, like, it? Yeah, kind of crazy, I guess...

I guess I just have to wait and see what they have to say. I'm just sort of perplexed is all...

To be fair, there is A LOT of issues with the consistency and the special effects. Some of that is because it's the 90s and they just can't do good special effects. But I don't think they had a script supervisor at all. Because there is a lot of people looking different in each take or like you can see stuntmen hiding when you're not supposed to be able to see them.

I think the young kid has braces at one point.

I mean, is it? I haven't seen this one, but Sean Connery as a talking dragon seems like a pretty good premise for a terrible movie.

2. I Unironically love "Drgonheart" ... Dammit! haha! It's part of my childhood. It was also around the same time I started having crushes on villains in movies, and I had such a huge crush on David Thewlis. ^.^ His character is such a little shit.

Started watching it again. ACK! I totally forgot that Jason Isaacs was in this!

XsXy63A.png

I believe I've stated my opinion on that man at least once before. Also I just remembered at some point in this movie he drops his pants. (kind of)

axKk_f-maxage-0.gif

• Like 1

To be fair, there is A LOT of issues with the consistency and the special effects. Some of that is because it's the 90s and they just can't do good special effects. But I don't think they had a script supervisor at all. Because there is a lot of people looking different in each take or like you can see stuntmen hiding when you're not supposed to be able to see them.

I think the young kid has braces at one point.

I'm sure that is all in there. I'm just saying if you want to do a bad Sean Connery movie, dumb David Thewlis movie, or dragon movie--talking or otherwise--there are probably better options.

• Like 1