🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 142.5 - Minisode 142.5

The average of a phantom, the origin of "bobo," and Gerard Butler in Egypt are all covered in today’s minisode. We also hear about behind the scenes deets from Blake Harris’ interview with The Phantom director Simon Wincer. Plus, Corrections and Omissions for The Phantom! Send your own voicemail explanation hopes for Paul to answer by calling 619-PAUL ASK. If you want to check out the full Blake Harris’ interview with director Simon Wincer go over to www.slashfilm.com.

Come see How Did This Get Made LIVE in Anaheim as part of the Now Hear This Podcast Festival. Get tickets here: http://nowhearthisfest.com/

Get yourself a BB-8 “What Is Its Mission?” T-shirt or Tote Bag over at http://howdidthisgetmade.bigcartel.com

Where to Find Jason, June & Paul:

Paul, Jason and June appear in a new animated pilot BAD GUYS on Adult Swim watch and vote here http://adultswim.com/misc/pilots/

Paul's new comedy Filthy Preppy Teen$ is now avail on the FullScreen and you can see June and Paul in their old show NTSF:SD:SUV:: on HULU. Paul also appears on Fresh off the Boat on ABC.

June stars in Grace and Frankie on Netflix, as well as Lady Dynamite alongside with Jason.

Jason can be seen in How to Be Single, Sleeping with Other People, and is still indeed in The Dictator.

They changed Jason's Earwolf photo!

Also, Party Over Here was cancelled, so you can probably delete that from the plugs paragraph. :(

the first 2016 movie ... i've been waiting for this since the movie bitches reviewed it ... sounded perfect for HDTGM ... heres the link but its full of spoilers so ...

and it hasn't been released on any format here yet ... time for the movie club .. thanks again who ever you are

• Like 2

Gods of Egypt?!?

downton-abbey-lord-crawley-ulcer.gif

I rented this as soon as it was released, fully aware of the controversy, but felt it could still be a dumb, fun movie--it was not. I got as far as Geoffrey Rush on his space, sailboat and had to turn it off. It was the cinematic equivalent of a migraine. Now, I'm not sure if I really want to put myself through that again. On the one hand, I've already paid money to give up on this turd and I don't want them to have any more, but on the other, it's a Jason pick. I'm kind of curious what he may have seen in it that I missed...

• Like 4

They changed Jason's Earwolf photo!

And his profile is now just "Heynongman".

The first episode of The Room Where It's Happening is up. The guest is Adam Savage. At first when I saw the show's name I thought it's a podcast about the movie The Room.

ETA: Haha. Paul said his baby boy's name is Zardoz.

• Like 4

I think at one point I knew that Gods of Egypt was directed by Alex Proyas, but tried to suppress that knowledge from my head. What happened to that guy? He started off really well with The Crow (which does not hold up, but at least at the time it had a strong cult following), Dark City (which I still love) and I Robot, but then he did Knowing and now Gods of Egypt. It's like he's following the M. Night Shyamalan career plan.

• Like 2

How do I get my podcast app to stop bein a lil bitch and update so I can listen to the dang episode!

• Like 1

How do I get my podcast app to stop bein a lil bitch and update so I can listen to the dang episode!

The miniep didn't show up on itunes. So I listened to it on earwolf's page. Like an animal.

• Like 4

He started off really well with The Crow (which does not hold up, but at least at the time it had a strong cult following), Dark City (which I still love)

i havent seen the crow in a long time ... i'm afraid to watch it again. i don't want to ruin the memory of it being amazing .... but i really want to see dark city again .. loved that. i saw it after the matrix and thought ... hold on a second. a massively influential movie. even buffy paid homage .... no doubt it was influenced by countless movies before that itself but ...

• Like 1

On Overcast.fm it looked as though every episode of HDTGM premiered today so the unplayed tab had dozens of episodes and you have to manually delete them or unsubscribe and re-subscribe. In the absence of any actual information, I blame the intern.

Paul, do I smell a future Halloween costume for your baby? If a 1-year-old in The Phantom costume makes you laugh so hard then I think that's an obvious choice come October 31st!

• Like 3

i havent seen the crow in a long time ... i'm afraid to watch it again. i don't want to ruin the memory of it being amazing .... but i really want to see dark city again .. loved that. i saw it after the matrix and thought ... hold on a second. a massively influential movie. even buffy paid homage .... no doubt it was influenced by countless movies before that itself but ...

While the effects don't really hold up and much of the acting is absurd, Brandon Lee and Ernie Hudson' still give decent performances despite the source material being kind of a goth kid's uber fantasy. What's worse is that on the DVD they interview James O'Barr who created the comic and since it was the 90s the fashion really doesn't age well at all and he comes off looking like a guy who would be on To Catch a Predator. Even worse is that they are talking of doing a remake to the film, which really doesn't make too much since as it was a cult film even when it came out, and they are having Jack Huston play the lead, which just makes me feel bad for him as I loved him on Boardwalk Empire and now it seems like he's just getting put into bad remake after bad remake, as the new Ben-Hur looks atrocious.

This has nothing to do with anything but I just found out The Nightly Show (which Paul has been a guest on) has been cancelled and it just makes me really sad. I loved Larry Wilmore's commentary on the fucked up shit that's going on in our country and his correspondents were all extremely smart and well spoken.

It also just makes me sad that I've already seen some horrible things said about him (and Trevor cause they clearly want him gone too) in the wake of the announcement. I hate people.

• Like 3

I'm glad it got cancelled from Comedy Central, it's not right for the channel, it would be MUCH better suited as a counter point to Fox News' "Red Eye", which is basically a more light hearted/comedic panel show which would feature comedians like Jim Norton, Rich Vos, Bonnie McFarlane (among others).

It pretty much became victim of the influx of the satirical news show, because now you have The Daily Show, The Nightly Show, Last Week Tonight, Full Frontal, which all seem to be very similar. It became like Guitar Hero, the first couple were successful and then the market was flooded with them. So you had the Daily Show, and then the Nightly Show right after, they were too similar on the surface, and it ended up losing nearly 1,000,000 viewers from the time slot.

Personally, I can see an iteration of it showing up on MTV, it's also owned by Viacom, and probably has a much more suitable audience.

Oooooh shit I just realized this is my 1,000th post!

giphy.gif

For my 500th post I recommended The Day After Tomorrow for the podcast because it's my favorite bad movie of all time. This go around I'm going with something that I just recently rewatched and still have an amazing time laughing at all the ridiculous parts.

MOV_a14678cd_b.jpg

Notable for being Aaliyah's last movie which was released after her death. In all honesty I still think she's the best part of the whole thing and wish she had more screen time than Marguerite Moreau.

This would be an excellent addition to the HDTGM filmography and hope someday I can discuss the lore of Anne Rice's novels and how they compare to this shitty movie.

• Like 10

This has nothing to do with anything but I just found out The Nightly Show (which Paul has been a guest on) has been cancelled and it just makes me really sad. I loved Larry Wilmore's commentary on the fucked up shit that's going on in our country and his correspondents were all extremely smart and well spoken.

It also just makes me sad that I've already seen some horrible things said about him (and Trevor cause they clearly want him gone too) in the wake of the announcement. I hate people.

Yeah, I just read about this too. It's a real bummer. However, as much as I like Larry Wilmore (which is a lot), I never really got into The Nightly Show. It was just never as funny as I wanted it to be, which is a shame, because Wilmore is hilarious. After a couple of episodes, I kind of gave up on it. The same goes for Trevor Noah. I was a huge defender of his when he first took over for Stewart. I think he oozes charm and is insanely funny, and although I stuck with it for 6 or 7 months, I became disillusioned with it. Ultimately, I ended up having a couple of problems with Noah.

First of all, and this may be conjecture, but because Noah isn't American, it felt like his comedy was kind of toothless. Like, either he wasn't into it, or he didn't feel like he had the right to critique it. With Stewart, you could feel his barely contained rage bubbling just below the surface as he skewered the shitty politicians and news outlets, and I feel like a lot of that is due to the fact that he is an American. And while you can have someone who is not native born do the same thing (John Oliver is a great example of this), I feel like, especially after the early controversies that surrounded him when he took over, Noah ended up playing it a little bit too safe. I feel like he felt like he was an outsider, or at least felt like he'd be perceived as an outsider, and tried not to rock the boat too much. Stewart had passion, whereas Noah comes off as aloof. Stewart was such a force, "people" like Fox News started treating him like a real news person and a real threat to their philosophies and agenda. I don't think Noah has ever created quite this kind of stir, and I'm not sure that he ever will.

Secondly, and perhaps more importantly, I found that Noah took a lot longer to get to the stories. I remember a big thing would happen, and my wife and I--even though we already weren't daily watchers of The Daily Show near the end of Stewart's tenure--would be like, "We have to watch The Daily Show tomorrow and hear what John has to say about this." With Noah, he would report on something and I would be like, "Yeah, that happened last week and has already been reported to death..." As it became less and less topical, I became less and less engaged. By the time he mentioned it, I had already heard about it, made fun of it, and had moved on.

Of course, it's been a couple of months since I've watched an episode and maybe things have gotten better... And I do wish The Nightly Show hadn't been cancelled, because even if I wasn't in to it, I feel like it was still an important show to be on the air. I love them both and I wish them both well.

• Like 4

I am so excited they are doing Gods of Egypt! When I first saw the trailer I thought it looked worthy of a future episode. I previewed some of the 5-star reviews on Amazon. They are amazing.

• Like 2