🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Off-Week 5 (Cam Bert's Pick)

That's interesting, because my wife's super religious parents insisted they all watch this (and Godspell) because it was a good pop-culture way in to the gospels. We had a long discussion this morning about whether we should sit our five and seven year olds down to watch this. We haven't settled on an answer yet - she seems to think it won't hold their attention and it's confusing. I think they'll be fine (aside from the crucifixion, although it's not as scary in this film as in the still-with-me trauma of the 'Godspell' crucifixion.)

What was the decision? Kids or no kids? And if they watched it, what was their reaction?

• Like 2

What was the decision? Kids or no kids? And if they watched it, what was their reaction?

Nope, kids didn't get to see it - I started watching today when i should have been prepping for a job interview (chill dude it's in like five days I have forever get off my back) and I realised she's probably right in some ways. I think they'd like it to an extent but it's a lot to sit through until you get to Simon Zealotes (which I know they'd dig). Maybe I'll try it with them: they go to Catholic school, it's all going to be familiar (except for Jesus's gammy eye)

• Like 2

Nope, kids didn't get to see it - I started watching today when i should have been prepping for a job interview (chill dude it's in like five days I have forever get off my back) and I realised she's probably right in some ways. I think they'd like it to an extent but it's a lot to sit through until you get to Simon Zealotes (which I know they'd dig). Maybe I'll try it with them: they go to Catholic school, it's all going to be familiar (except for Jesus's gammy eye)

Hey man, at least you know when you go into that interview Jesus H. Superstar will be right there next to you :)

(Good luck in five days, btw)

• Like 2

Hey man, at least you know when you go into that interview Jesus H. Superstar will be right there next to you :)

(Good luck in five days, btw)

Thanks! As tomspanks has informed me, it's in the Finger Lakes! That sounds interesting to me. We'll see.

• Like 3

Firstly, good luck with the interview.

Secondly, what non-animated musicals have you shown them or taken them to? If so which ones did they enjoy and which ones not?

• Like 2

Secondly, what non-animated musicals have you shown them or taken them to? If so which ones did they enjoy and which ones not?

Thanks to you too - not certain I really want to teach at this particular university but the job market is so grim right now that I'm even considering moving to the Land of the Benevolent Dictator. ;)

The kids love musicals but we haven't taken them to many big ones yet. They saw 'Seussical' last year which they loved, and 'A Year With Frog and Toad' was a hit too. Now that you mention it, I'm not sure they've seen as many musicals as they have Shakespeares... I'll have to correct that.

• Like 4

I know this question really wasn't for me, but I had my four year old watch Singin' in the Rain a few months back and he really liked it.

He also just told me that his favorite superhero is Storm, so...good taste all around I guess ;)

• Like 5

I know this question really wasn't for me, but I had my four year old watch Singin' in the Rain a few months back and he really liked it.

He also just told me that his favorite superhero is Storm, so...good taste all around I guess ;)

Questions are for all! Actually I was going to ask you but couldn't remember how old your oldest was so erred on the side of caution. Actually question for you, CakeBug and anyone else with kids that wants to chime in. How do you choose what to show the kids or not? I'm curious because I teach similar aged children and have to decide on movies to show them sometimes. (I realise this is probably boring to most, sorry)

Also Storm? She's no Beast but a pretty solid choice.

• Like 2

Questions are for all! Actually I was going to ask you but couldn't remember how old your oldest was so erred on the side of caution. Actually question for you, CakeBug and anyone else with kids that wants to chime in. How do you choose what to show the kids or not? I'm curious because I teach similar aged children and have to decide on movies to show them sometimes. (I realise this is probably boring to most, sorry)

It really depends for me. My youngest is 5 but she's a bit of a fraidycat when it comes to scary things (scary includes anything that's not in full glorious sunshine), and she also gets really embarrassed when characters on screen do something embarrassing, so she's a bit tricky to cater to. Her brother is 7 and likes everything. I try to watch everything before they see it unless I'm sure there won't be too much bad language - we watched 'Sing' the other day sight unseen but that was always going to be pretty benign. My eldest loves superhero movies but some of those can be pretty intense in terms of violence so we try to err on the side of less is more for those. For some superhero movies (like the Avengers) there's so much exposition that they get bored. Generally, as long as it's not filled with F-bombs, I am happy to let my kids decide. And sometimes I decide for them - that's why they both love The Blues Brothers and Baz Luhrmann's Romeo and Juliet. #fatheroftheyear

• Like 4

*ahem*

Oh, and the correct answer for best X-Person...

91a76e8e87aa204ea4e460c12852dd3c.jpg

Orora fuckin' Monroe, bitches.

Watch out, or I'm what your kid is going to turn into.

• Like 7

Watch out, or I'm what your kid is going to turn into.

panic.gif

• Like 6

My youngest is 6 months, so he barely counts as a people yet. He can watch whatever.

As for my 4 year old, I more or less let him guide me. We don't really have any hard and fast rules, and it's really difficult to guess what he'll be into sometimes. For example, I couldn't get him to pay even a little bit of attention to the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie, but he (surprisingly) really liked Doctor Strange. I think if I were to define it, I'd probably say, "Nudity, but no sex; Violence, but no blood." I'm not really too concerned about language. We probably cuss too often, but he's never really mimicked it. I'm more concerned about him getting in trouble at school for cussing than him using any "bad" words.

Although, funny story. My son was throwing a fit at school a couple of weeks ago, which was really, really weird. He is like the sweetest kid you'll ever meet and everyone there loves him, but for whatever reason, he just wasn't having it that day. So I put on my stern Dad voice and gave him the whole "I'm disappointed" spiel. And, you have to understand, I'm literally his favorite person in the world, so now he's really upset. As we're leaving, he's still apologizing, and he suddenly says, "I'm sorry I was being a little bitch"--right in front of a teacher! I don't even really say that! Me and the teacher ask, "What did you say?" (Small voice) "I didn't mean to be a little bitch." I'm like , "Great. Everyone just saw me pull him aside and give him a talking to and now they're all going to think I was calling my toddler a 'bitch.' Fantastic..."

Anyway, this is a real roundabout way of saying I don't have an answer for you. As a parent , you have a little more freedom to figure out what works on an individual level. When you're talking about a classroom of other people's kids, that's a whole different story.

• Like 10

Laughed my ass off at 'sorry i was being a little bitch' to such an extent that I made a genuine scene over here. Oh ye gods...

• Like 5

Although, funny story. My son was throwing a fit at school a couple of weeks ago, which was really, really weird. He is like the sweetest kid you'll ever meet and everyone there loves him, but for whatever reason, he just wasn't having it that day. So I put on my stern Dad voice and gave him the whole "I'm disappointed" spiel. And, you have to understand, I'm literally his favorite person in the world, so now he's really upset. As we're leaving, he's still apologizing, and he suddenly says, "I'm sorry I was being a little bitch"--right in front of a teacher! I don't even really say that! Me and the teacher ask, "What did you say?" (Small voice) "I didn't mean to be a little bitch." I'm like , "Great. Everyone just saw me pull him aside and give him a talking to and now they're all going to think I was calling my toddler a 'bitch.' Fantastic..."

This is the best story I have ever read.

When I was in my early 20s, someone actually hired me to work in a day care. I have some pretty funny kids swearing stories (e.g., the time one three-year-old called another a "fucking idiot" because he didn't know that the baby ducks that had been born in a nest in the bushes in front of the day care were called ducklings).

But this is so much better than any story I experienced.

• Like 6

I used to teach CanSkate and because I was the oldest (20), they put me with the beginners (4-6 y.o.)

I didn't realize how much I casually swore AND forgot what words are considered swears by little ones. It was a difficult 4 months.

• Like 7

"I'm sorry I was being a little bitch"

I have been laughing for 5 straight minutes no joke omg

ETA: I grew up around my WWII vet grandfather who literally had no filter what so fuckin' ever and also did not gage what I should and should not watch lol. So basically my whole family has a horrible filter and once my mom was taking my cousins and me out to eat and she had got caught at a red light and just went, "Oh God dammit," and my little baby cousin from her car seat just in the squeakiest voice said, "God dammit!" and I am still laughing about it 15 years later tbh.

• Like 7

Thanks! As tomspanks has informed me, it's in the Finger Lakes! That sounds interesting to me. We'll see.

Near the Finger Lakes. Don't show up and be all "the Finger Lakes were beautiful this morning, I say Riesling, you say wine. Riesling! Riesling?" I think you should open with "what a charming river town, the top 7 in the state, I'd say!"

• Like 4

Y'all omg speaking of Peaches Christ they are doing another Peaches Christ Experience with SF Sketchfest of Grease 2 WITH MAXWELL CAULFIELD

• Like 3

"I'm sorry I was being a little bitch"

That is simply amazing. I love.

I grew up in a family that never swore when I was a kid (and still rarely does). But I had some neighborhood friends who'd come over to play and if they swore, my mom would kick them out. She ended up training them well enough that when they swore, they would kick themselves out.

• Like 4

Watching now...

Loving it so far.

I think Superstar Jesus may be second only to Christopher Moore's Lamb Jesus.

• Like 2

Near the Finger Lakes. Don't show up and be all "the Finger Lakes were beautiful this morning, I say Riesling, you say wine. Riesling! Riesling?" I think you should open with "what a charming river town, the top 7 in the state, I'd say!"

Ah, phew, thanks. Really don't want to get into one of those Upstate New York Geographical Faux Pas situations I'm always reading about.

• Like 4

The most remarkable aspect of that story, Cameron, is that your son would apologize for throwing a tantrum.

My eldest is uncommonly well-behaved. Always has been. I think the fact that he was throwing a fit was as much a shock to him as it was to me. I had to actually stop and think, "What do I do here?" But you'll all be happy to know that he has not been a "little bitch" since.

His brother on the other hand...;)

• Like 5