🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Off-Week 5 (Cam Bert's Pick)

I just discovered gifs of Sir Dame Andrew Lloyd Webber, doing an updated rap version of JCS and I need to find the video.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

• Like 7

So while I was watching JCS this morning, I got really hung up on the "The Last Supper." There was something really familiar about it, like, beyond just "Oh, I think I've seen this part before." I was just re-listening to it and realized I played it at least once a month for a few years when I played guitar in my church's band. I don't think they used the same lyrics though...weird.

For the record, my church band also did, quite frequently, "All For the Best." (Which I fucking hated playing)

Also, I played one gig as Moses' Message Machine--a one and done attempt for my church to create their own Christian Rock Band. I was...not into it.

• Like 4

I freaking LOVE 'All for the Best'! I sang it in a Musical Theatre class once back as an undergrad!

PS - If we have enough rounds of MM I am totally picking 'Godspell' at some point.

I mean, after I pick two or three things you're all guaranteed to hate.

• Like 4

Also, I played one gig as Moses' Message Machine--a one and done attempt for my church to create their own Christian Rock Band. I was...not into it.

Wait wait wait...was that the name of the band?

That's amazing.

• Like 3

Wait wait wait...was that the name of the band?

That's amazing.

Yup!

Guess who came up with that name?

This-Guy-Jim-Halpert-The-Office.gif

• Like 4

I freaking LOVE 'All for the Best'! I sang it in a Musical Theatre class once back as an undergrad!

PS - If we have enough rounds of MM I am totally picking 'Godspell' at some point.

I mean, after I pick two or three things you're all guaranteed to hate.

Yeah, I'm not sure why I hated playing it. I thought it was because of the chord changes, but I just looked them up and they aren't really all that difficult. Maybe it was just all the moving pieces of a ragtime number. Also, I was REALLY into punk rock at the time, so by virtue of how obviously kewl and rebellious I was, I'm sure I just thought it was lame.

However, I kind of enjoyed watching young Victor Garber at work up there. I wouldn't mind if you or someone else picked it. I already have the soundtrack (two copies, actually) so it saves me a couple of bucks :)

• Like 2

However, I kind of enjoyed watching young Victor Garber at work up there. I wouldn't mind if you or someone else picked it. I already have the soundtrack (two copies, actually) so it saves me a couple of bucks :)

That was Victor Garber? Mind = blown.

• Like 5

That was Victor Garber? Mind = blown.

If it makes you feel any better, that blew my wife's mind too (plus she thought it was stupid). My son, on the other hand, LOVED it.

"That's Superman. A weird Superman..."

• Like 3

What the actual fuck is this

It made me less attracted to Victor Garber, something that I never thought possible

Something we obviously need to cover--just not right after JCS.

• Like 3

Important cultural touchstone in 'Godspell' - the original Toronto production is somewhat legendary. To whit:

The Toronto production provided the first regular acting jobs for several notable performers, including Victor Garber, Eugene Levy, Andrea Martin, Gilda Radner, Dave Thomas, and Martin Short, and the show's musical director Paul Shaffer.

More: http://www.godspell.ca/bnp.htm

• Like 4

Important cultural touchstone in 'Godspell' - the original Toronto production is somewhat legendary. To whit:

The Toronto production provided the first regular acting jobs for several notable performers, including Victor Garber, Eugene Levy, Andrea Martin, Gilda Radner, Dave Thomas, and Martin Short, and the show's musical director Paul Shaffer.

More: http://www.godspell.ca/bnp.htm

Confirmed: everybody falls in love with Gilda Radner.

• Like 5

Started watching JCS (from that crappy youtube vid lol), but I need to stop to work on some stuff. About 20 mins in; it's interesting so far!

Paused too because I remembered I needed to put in time off requests from work, but it's not letting me request days off the Austin show. Too early still...

• Like 3

I watched JCS last night and really enjoyed :) I also listened to it at work today

I came across this Mr. Show sketch / 90s parody of JCS.

There are lots of familiar faces (besides Odenkirk & Cross, since it was their show).. Jack Black, Scott Aukerman, Brian Posehn, Sarah Silverman, think I saw Doug Benson?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jrGwjgK2jrM

check this shit ooouuuuuuuuut

• Like 5

Okay I just read the wiki synopsis for Godspell and I feel even more confused.

Edit: And I just realized Godspell=Gospel

Edited by EllenMc
  • Like 4

Okay I just read the wiki synopsis for Godspell and I feel even more confused.

Edit: And I just realized Godspell=Gospel

It's a doozie all right.

I love your signature btw :)

• Like 3

I watched JCS last night and really enjoyed :)/> I also listened to it at work today

There are lots of familiar faces (besides Odenkirk & Cross, since it was their show).. Jack Black, Scott Aukerman, Brian Posehn, Sarah Silverman, think I saw Doug Benson?

We're getting some quality clips lately! Thank you!

Also, I've been listening to the soundtrack all day too! Including cruising down the street listening to "Heaven on Their Minds" with the windows rolled down.

#judasgotpipes, #hiphophooraysanna, #doesntgiveafuck

• Like 5

I love your signature btw :)

Thanks :D it's a running joke with a friend that we come up with titles to our autobiographies, based on poor decisions or funny occurrences. My latest working title:

Is He Hot or Just Tall?: The EllenMc Story

• Like 5

Also, I've been listening to the soundtrack all day too! Including cruising down the street listening to "Heaven on Their Minds" with the windows rolled down.

#judasgotpipes, #hiphophooraysanna, #doesntgiveafuck

200.gif#132

YES! "Heaven on their minds" may be one of my favs. Don't want to get too into it since it's not Monday yet..

But do want to say --I thought Carl Anderson killed it!

• Like 4

I watched JCS last night and really enjoyed :) I also listened to it at work today

Yeah, definitely Doug Benson. And not to mention...

Jeanne Tripplehorn, David "Gruber" Allen, Blaine Capatch, and Mary-Lynn Rajskub. Rajskub was a cast member of the show at the time (as were Posehn and Aukerman) but I only mention her because on the commentary of that episode, David talks about how she was the only one with any kind of musical theater experience, and she has the absolute most over-the-top ridiculous dancing in the sketch.

OH NOOOOOO! I WAS ON THE 18TH HOOOOOOLE!

This and "The Joke: The Musical" are two of my favorite Mr Show sketches. They're just downright brilliant.

• Like 6

I was telling my roommate about JCS and she wanted to see it too, so she uh... found a better copy for us to watch, which was good since the crappy youtube vid cut out the whole opening bus scene. But yeah! We watched it! I can finally participate in MM!!

• Like 4

I was telling my roommate about JCS and she wanted to see it too, so she uh... found a better copy for us to watch, which was good since the crappy youtube vid cut out the whole opening bus scene. But yeah! We watched it! I can finally participate in MM!!

Bradd-Pitt-Drink-Aproves.gif

Welcome and great to have you finally join us. I'm also happy that you and most everybody else is seemingly loving it.

• Like 4

Also fellow Cameron awesome and cute story!

I'm a bit late but just want to quickly add my two-cents to stories of naughty children. First when I was a wee lad apparently I picked up calling seagulls "shitty birds" from my father and had to be broken of it from my mom. I have no memory of this but apparently my mom and sister do. Also back in Canada, my friend and I were once walking past an elementary school and one of the kids on the playground yelled at my friend asking him for a blow job. I have no idea if they knew what it was or were put up to it or what.

Sadly in Japanese there isn't really the seem concept of curse words as there is in English. There are very few words that are considered truly bad and shouldn't be said and I've never heard a kid say them. So I don't have any cute work stories about kids cursing unfortunately. I do have plenty of just funny cute stories but for another time.

• Like 5

There's a robust discussion happening over at letterboxd on JCS right now - come join us, it's in the comments thread below my JCS review - but I wanted to post here about a weird thing.

As you know, I grew up in Australia, and in 1992, an all-star production of JCS was convened starring all the biggest superheroes of Australian pop music.

Johnny Farnham as Jesus!

Kate Ceberano as Mary Magdalene!

Jon Stevens as Judas!

Angry Anderson as Herod!

John Waters as Pilate!

Okay, so it sounds like I just made up all those names, but they're real people who everyone in Australia went mental over seeing in this nationwide arena rock tour. The BEST part? A megamix of JCS songs went to the top of the Australian pop charts for MONTHS. In 1992. 'Everything's Alright' was a major radio hit. In Australia. In 1992.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esRVLCaDRbs

Oof, Jon Stevens as Judas is even more cringey than I remember. There's so many awful Australian things in this video I can't quite bear it.

Johnny Farnham as Jesus is BY FAR the biggest star in Australian music history. That's his real hair.

I repeat, this was a major radio hit.

• Like 3