🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Off-Week 6 (Quasar Sniffer's Pick)

That's maybe - no joke - one of the few movies I've rewatched more than 10 times.

I've never seen it. Is it really good or bad good? I like Emmerich from 'Independence Day' but he lost me with 'Anonymous' and 'Independence Day 2'. And all the other ones.

• Like 4

I've never seen it. Is it really good or bad good? I like Emmerich from 'Independence Day' but he lost me with 'Anonymous' and 'Independence Day 2'. And all the other ones.

I think it's bad good. For a long time I refused to even acknowledge that it was bad at all but that was young Taylor and current Taylor can recognize how dumb this movie is and why that makes it so great.

• Like 5

Edgar Wright is on Maltin On Movies today! Thought it was very appropriate considering our recent talk about the Cornetto Trilogy!

Leonard Maltin likes World's End more than Hot Fuzz

• Like 7

Sorry I clicked quote instead of edit and ended up with a double post. Have a gif instead!

shiba-inus-are-weird-dogs-of-course-they-come-from-japan-23.gif?w=360&h=270

• Like 4

HA! So according to Letterboxd three of us watched this movie at the same time!*

Cabaret-gif-cabaret-film-21199095-500-244.gif

*well at least recorded watching it

• Like 4

HA! So according to Letterboxd three of us watched this movie at the same time!*

*well at least recorded watching it

Well...I started 3 days ago...

• Like 3

Well...I started 3 days ago...

And with that I think I know what side of the fence you fall onto. I shall play my cards closer to the vest...

• Like 2

And with that I think I know what side of the fence you fall onto. I shall play my cards closer to the vest...

OR DO YOU

• Like 4

Edgar Wright is on Maltin On Movies today! Thought it was very appropriate considering our recent talk about the Cornetto Trilogy!

Leonard Maltin likes World's End more than Hot Fuzz

I love Leonard Maltin. He's a genuinely schmaltzy old sentimentalist... while being a film critic and he LOVES movies more than I love anything and I fucking post on a message board for people who LOVE movies. I love movies, you guys.

Also, CakeBug, seriously...

giphy.gif

• Like 7

Guys. I fucking love this movie.

Seriously. I can't wait til Monday. Thanks for the pick Quasar. I can't believe I haven't seen it before tonight.

• Like 5

Seriously. I can't wait til Monday. Thanks for the pick Quasar. I can't believe I haven't seen it before tonight.

Same. I think I'm going to watch it again tomorrow. I'm happy with my blind purchase from a few months ago. Thanks, Quasar, for getting me to finally sit down and watch it.

• Like 3

It's fun, dumb-bad. Climate Change literally chases down and murders people in it.

• Like 4

What can I say except I am glad you enjoyed it! I too was watching it for the first time so I was pleased to like it myself!

giphy.gif

• Like 7

I love Leonard Maltin. He a genuinely schmaltzy old sentimentalist... while being a film critic and he LOVES movies more than I love anything and I fucking post on a message board for people who LOVE movies. I love movies, you guys.

He comes to Fantastic Fest every year and is just the sweetest little old man in the world. He's one of those people that's so nice that you'd probably let him get away with just about anything.

Anyway, reviving the World's End discussion a couple days later: after rewatching, I disagree about the message of the film. I still stand by what I said earlier about friendship changing people, but ultimately, the film isn't about getting so caught up in ephemera that you lose sight of who you really are. It's actually about not progressing as a person because you're so busy clinging to the past.

For the whole movie, Pegg wants to be the leader of his group of high school buddies and is developmentally stunted because he's trying to relive their "glory days." He sees that as his pinnacle, so he tries to prove that he's still that same person. Of course, that doesn't work as an adult, especially when your friends have all moved on and grown up.

In the penultimate scene, he talks to the alien leader, who offers to put his consciousness in his younger body where he can relive his high school days with his friends for the rest of his life. But he refuses, and this is the moment where he actually becomes the leader that he has been trying to be for the rest of the movie. He's spent the whole movie trying to lead his friends by clinging onto the past. But when he instead looks to the future, he becomes a real leader.

So I don't see the ending scene with him and his posse of blanks as a reward for Pegg's shitty behavior. I see it as him having finally earned what he's been claiming he was for the whole movie.

• Like 5

All the Leonard Maltin talk is making me miss the Leonard Maltin Game from Doug Loves Movies. That podcast just hasn't been the same since they stopped playing that as the centerpiece.

• Like 2