🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Off-Week 6 (Quasar Sniffer's Pick)

Yes, but Frost still manages to be likable. I feel like they reversed types in Paul as well and I found i liked that one more.

The thing is, the movies in the Cornetto Trilogy are not what they actually are. Shaun is about putting behind your childhood and becoming an adult and accepting responsibility; Fuzz is about not getting so wrapped up in being a responsible adult that you forget to have fun; World's End is about being so wrapped up in the ephemera in life that we lose sight of who we truly are. I'm on board for the first two, but I'm not sure that I buy the third.

I think I like it because it cuts both ways in The World's End. Both Frost and Pegg have a character arc and have to change as a result of what's going on around them, whereas Frost has a pretty flat arc in both of the first two movies. He just kind of stays the lovable manchild in both of them, and while that's fun to watch, I find letting them both have a character arc to be enjoyable.

Because that's what I feel like adult friendships are. It's rare that one person changes into a whole different person and is suddenly responsible or suddenly learns how to appreciate the fun in life. Instead it's often a meeting somewhere in the middle between the two personalities. Our friendships change us, although usually in far more subtle ways. All of my adult friendships (especially the ones I cherish most) have challenged me in ways I couldn't expect. Sometimes it's learning not to just say the first asshole thing that pops into my head. Sometimes it's hearing another person's perspective on things and putting myself in their shoes. And sometimes, it's just that being around a person that isn't you and doesn't have your same history, thoughts, and feelings makes your life different. And other times, it's just arguing with your friends about stupid shit like movies. :)

And that's my biggest takeaway from The World's End. I don't take as being about losing sight of who you are as much as I see it being about two people whose friendship changes them.

• Like 4

I think I like it because it cuts both ways in The World's End. Both Frost and Pegg have a character arc and have to change as a result of what's going on around them, whereas Frost has a pretty flat arc in both of the first two movies. He just kind of stays the lovable manchild in both of them, and while that's fun to watch, I find letting them both have a character arc to be enjoyable.

Because that's what I feel like adult friendships are. It's rare that one person changes into a whole different person and is suddenly responsible or suddenly learns how to appreciate the fun in life. Instead it's often a meeting somewhere in the middle between the two personalities. Our friendships change us, although usually in far more subtle ways. All of my adult friendships (especially the ones I cherish most) have challenged me in ways I couldn't expect. Sometimes it's learning not to just say the first asshole thing that pops into my head. Sometimes it's hearing another person's perspective on things and putting myself in their shoes. And sometimes, it's just that being around a person that isn't you and doesn't have your same history, thoughts, and feelings makes your life different. And other times, it's just arguing with your friends about stupid shit like movies. :)

And that's my biggest takeaway from The World's End. I don't take as being about losing sight of who you are as much as I see it being about two people whose friendship changes them.

Of course I haven't watched it in awhile, so if I'm mixing things up feel free to correct me, but doesn't WE literally just end with Pegg's character becoming the leader of his old gang again? That's not evolution. He gets to be the leader of his group of friend's (dominating them really, as he's "The King" after all), which is exactly what he's wanted the entire movie. His reward isn't to move forward and cultivate mature relationships with his REAL non-robot alien friends, but to split from them forever so he can relive his glory days with ersatz robot dildoes. If I'm not wrong about the details, that's a bullshit message and not much of an "arc."

• Like 1

Of course I haven't watched it in awhile, so if I'm mixing things up feel free to correct me, but doesn't WE literally just end with Pegg's character becoming the leader of his old gang again? That's not evolution. He gets to be the leader of his group of friend's (dominating them really, as he's "The King" after all), which is exactly what he's wanted the entire movie. His reward isn't to move forward and cultivate mature relationships with his REAL non-robot alien friends, but to split from them forever so he can relive his glory days with ersatz robot dildoes. If I'm not wrong about the details, that's a bullshit message and not much of an "arc."

Hold on, y'all. I remember the ending having a different meaning for me, but I'm going to rewatch it to be sure my theory holds water. See y'all on the other side...

• Like 5

Hold on, y'all. I remember the ending having a different meaning for me, but I'm going to rewatch it to be sure my theory holds water. See y'all on the other side...

You probably should as I am 100% talking out of my ass. :)

• Like 5

You probably should as I am 100% talking out of my ass. :)

Well, that's certainly a thing that NEVER happens around here...

• Like 7

Ya'll

1oniag.jpg

Ha! No, we're good. Although between our opposing views on this, Colin Farrell, and coconuts, I sometimes wonder how Fister and I get along at all...

It's the main reason I've never asked the group for your opinions on licorice.

Which, as we all know, tastes like the bastard child of cruddy motor oil and rancid despair.

• Like 4

Ha! No, we're good. Although between our opposing views on this, Colin Farrell, and coconuts, I sometimes wonder how Fister and I get along at all...

Which, as we all know, tastes like the bastard child of cruddy motor oil and rancid despair.

Coconuts? Story time!

Guys, this movie won't end. It's so different from the stage version too.

• Like 6

What kind of licorice we talking? Red or black? Or do you mean both?

• Like 3

Coconuts? Story time!

Guys, this movie won't end. It's so different from the stage version too.

Oh good, maybe I'm not alone... Thought I'd be in the minority on my opinion of the movie.

And yes, Id like to know about the coconuts too...

and also what kind of migration we talking? were they carried by African or European swallows?

• Like 4

What kind of licorice we talking? Red or black? Or do you mean both?

Well, neither are ideal--but, specifically, I'm convinced black licorice is the end result of the Faustian pact that granted Willy Wonka the ability to enslave an entire race of benevolent, mandarin-faced, candy makers.

• Like 4

If it was spelled with the other variant, liquorice, maybe we'd all like it better.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquorice

• Like 4

Well, neither are ideal--but, specifically, I'm convinced black licorice is the end result of a the Faustian pact that granted Willy Wonka the ability to enslave an entire race of benevolent, jaded mandarin-faced, candy makers.

FTFY

• Like 6

I love licorice

Zoidberg-Is-So-Ashamed-He-Goes-Hiding-In-a-Dumpster-On-Futurama.gif

I will say I do like red licorice. but black licorice I'd say:

200.gif#154

& if we are debating the spelling... you see how I stand.

• Like 6

As an Aussie, my love for licorice is in my genes. Can't beat Darrell Lea!

We take our licorice SERIOUS, yo.

(including baffling flavours)

cc961414-6248-425e-8488-31f58f8d8bb6_1.a761c58c638d99a14015249af2805f68.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

• Like 5

cc961414-6248-425e-8488-31f58f8d8bb6_1.a761c58c638d99a14015249af2805f68.jpeg?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF

tumblr_md4vstPmBJ1qgumxh.gif

(I chose this gif as it's more aggressive.)

• Like 2

tumblr_md4vstPmBJ1qgumxh.gif

(I chose this gif as it's more aggressive.)

At least now I know what to bring you when I meet you next month!

giphy.gif

That's right guys, Cameron and I might be in the SAME ROOM next month.

giphy.gif

• Like 6

Licorice is awesome. Get your life together, Cameron.

(BTW, I'm still only halfway through The World's End. Work apparently decided I needed to do stuff on my work from home day and not just fuck around watching movies.)

• Like 5

I will say I do like red licorice. but black licorice I'd say:

& if we are debating the spelling... you see how I stand.

Same. I like the candy, hate the black licorice flavor

We have that brand here. My coworker gets the strawberry ones all the time. They're so good.

And an update: I found a copy of Time Out magazine (for this week) on the street today.

• Like 5

A Finnish girl we used to know once sent us salmiakki for Christmas.

That was my first and last time trying any sort of licorice lol

Since it was sort of mentioned I'm gonna throw in that I never liked Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory.

• Like 7

At least now I know what to bring you when I meet you next month!

That's right guys, Cameron and I might be in the SAME ROOM next month.

giphy.gif

How? Why?

• Like 3

A Finnish girl we used to know once sent us salmiakki for Christmas.

That was my first and last time trying any sort of licorice lol

Since it was sort of mentioned I'm gonna throw in that I never liked Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory.

There's an amazing Swedish bakery around the corner from us that does a licorice cake that I dream about.

Loving black licorice means you get more jelly beans than anyone else. Pays to enjoy aniseed...

• Like 2