🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 31 Preview (Grudlian’s 1st Pick)

I know I suggested that my pick was going probably going to be from television but I decided on something more traditional.

The film director Damien Chazelle said of my Musical Monday selection: "At its heart, it's about two young people who love each other but grow apart once their naivety wears off and they realize life requires tradeoffs"

That's what I wanted for for my pick. I wanted, as one of the taglines states, "A film for all the young lovers of the wide, wide world." A movie about love itself and how bittersweet it can be. A movie that is filled to the brim with bright, saturated colors and dream-like cinematography. A movie where the main stars are not even professional singers. A movie that was nominated for a slew of Oscars including Best Song and Best Original Score. It is also a movie with a truly unique Oscar history that I don't think any other film can boast.

As I'm sure you've all guessed, we're watching:

wuudC2O.jpg

Guys, I'm sorry. No, there's a mistake. The Umbrellas Of Cherbourg. This is not a joke. Umbrellas Of Cherbourg is my Musical Monday selection.

n34Pv9t.jpg

gLJmzrz.jpg

The good news is that it looks like its available for free on vimeo. I didn't watch it but it looks complete. I won't post it here but I found it with a quick google search. I can PM people a link if people can't find it.

And, seriously, Umbrellas of Cherbourg really does have an unusual Oscar history. It was nominated for Oscars in two different years. Does anyone know of that ever happening?

• Like 7

This was a movie I heard a lot about last year and look forward to watching it.

• Like 3

I've been avoiding LaLa Land but not for any particular reason. I'm kind of excited to watch it finally.

• Like 3

I actually fell so deep into this joke that I'm genuinely not sure which one we're watching lol

• Like 6

I was worried there might be some confusion. We are watching Umbrellas Of Cherbourg.

• Like 3

Ha! I didn't even notice all the different spoilers! this cracks me up

• Like 2

Ha! I didn't even notice all the different spoilers! this cracks me up

Me either! Now I need to find a different movie. Umbrellas was going to be my next pick.

Good job grudlian! (I mean that. I'm excited to watch it.)

• Like 4

If you do send the Vimeo link please use a different password than "bonkers".

• Like 2

I was worried there might be some confusion. We are watching Umbrellas Of Cherbourg.

I was actually pretty cool with La La Land. It's a good movie folks!

• Like 3

I would have been happy re-watching La La Land, but I’ve been wanting to watch Umbrellas since Tom reviewed it last year. So I’m excited.

• Like 4

Yessssss! I fucking LOVE this movie.

For the overachievers out there, it's generally considered the middle move of an informal Demy trilogy. I don't particularly like the first movie (Lola), but The Young Girls of Rochefort is pretty good, too (even if it has the nerve to dub over Gene Kelly).

• Like 3

I know I suggested that my pick was going probably going to be from television but I decided on something more traditional.

The film director Damien Chazelle said of my Musical Monday selection: "At its heart, it's about two young people who love each other but grow apart once their naivety wears off and they realize life requires tradeoffs"

I knew as soon as I saw Damien Chazelle.

I would have been happy re-watching La La Land, but I’ve been wanting to watch Umbrellas since Tom reviewed it last year. So I’m excited.

I was like, who me? Went to go read the review again and got a lump in my throat after reading the comments, lol.

• Like 5

Yessssss! I fucking LOVE this movie.

For the overachievers out there, it's generally considered the middle move of an informal Demy trilogy. I don't particularly like the first movie (Lola), but The Young Girls of Rochefort is pretty good, too (even if it has the nerve to dub over Gene Kelly).

I thought Demi had a trilogy with Striptease, GI Jane and LOL.

• Like 1

Great pick! I've been meaning to see this for ages. Since Umbrellas Of Cherbourg had such an influence on La La Land and Damien Chazelle as a filmmaker, this would make an interesting double feature with La La Land. Maybe the next Musical Mondays movie could be that recent almost-Best-Picture-winner? Just a suggestion. I don't want to put any untoward pressure on the next Musical Mondays pick-maker.

• Like 1

Great pick! I've been meaning to see this for ages. Since Umbrellas Of Cherbourg had such an influence on La La Land and Damien Chazelle as a filmmaker, this would make an interesting double feature with La La Land. Maybe the next Musical Mondays movie could be that recent almost-Best-Picture-winner? Just a suggestion. I don't want to put any untoward pressure on the next Musical Mondays pick-maker.

Provided I have the time, I might just watch them both anyway.

• Like 2

That's really why I decided to make the La La Land joke. I don't think Chazelle would deny lifting from Umbrellas. The connections between them are pretty strong.

• Like 2

Cool! I've been meaning to watch this. Been on my watchlist for awhile now.. Look forward to it!

• Like 3

Just finished watching Umbrellas for the first time...

tumblr_lzzu1yzvia1qa6lp8.gif

May I suggest a more regionally appropriate foodstuff?

giphy.gif

But even with the melancholy, this movie is still extravagantly delightful. If that dichotomy is not French, I don't know what is.

• Like 5

giphy.gif

But even with the melancholy, this movie is still extravagantly delightful. If that dichotomy is not French, I don't know what is.

I was going more for the Emma Stone/La La Land connection. I like yours better.

• Like 1

giphy.gif

Honestly, while I was watching I said aloud "I wonder if Flight of the Conchords will make a cameo."

• Like 2