Jump to content
Cameron H.

Episode 225.5 - Minisode 225.5

Recommended Posts

The playfulness of serial killers, the director of The Country Bears calls in, and more on this week’s mini-sode! Paul opens up the Explanation Hope Line, goes through Corrections and Omissions for Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives, and shares a deleted scene from the Jason Lives episode. Plus, find out which movie we will be watching next week!
This episode is brought to you by Betterhelp (www.betterhelp.com/bonkers).

Subscribe to Unspooled with Paul Scheer and Amy Nicholson here: http://www.earwolf.com/show/unspooled/
Check out our tour dates over at www.hdtgm.com!
Check out new HDTGM merch over at https://www.teepubli…wdidthisgetmade
Where to Find Jason, June & Paul:
@PaulScheer on Instagram & Twitter
@Junediane on IG and @MsJuneDiane on Twitter

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

"Body of Evidence" for episode 226 is available on the hoopla app for free if your library participates. 

https://www.hoopladigital.com/

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post

First clue that the Lucky Charms box was a Michael Bay trap should have been the claim they picked it up in Ireland. Surprisingly enough we don't do Leprechaun cereals here! The only Lucky Charms you can get here are imported!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

If I’m in the minority, I’ll shut up, but personally, I would prefer the actual episode be left as uncut and whole as possible rather than getting these “deleted scenes” in the minisodes.  I mean, I get cutting dead air during the time when Paul is walking from the balcony (those monsters) back to the stage, but otherwise leave every joke/comment in the actual episode.  Even if it is not fall down hilarious, I would still rather hear it than have an episode hacked all to pieces.  I feel like the StarCrash episode was particularly choppy and difficult to contextualize at times.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, DrGuts1003 said:

If I’m in the minority, I’ll shut up, but personally, I would prefer the actual episode be left as uncut and whole as possible rather than getting these “deleted scenes” in the minisodes.  I mean, I get cutting dead air during the time when Paul is walking from the balcony (those monsters) back to the stage, but otherwise leave every joke/comment in the actual episode.  Even if it is not fall down hilarious, I would still rather hear it than have an episode hacked all to pieces.  I feel like the StarCrash episode was particularly choppy and difficult to contextualize at times.

What I find weird is that we get “deleted scenes” on the Minisode because the “show ran long,” but the episodes lately have been shorter than a lot of live episodes in the past. For example, Star Crash was 1:16 and Jason Lives was 1:19, but just recently, Hobbs and Shaw was 1:34, Drop Dead Fred was 1:40, and I’m sure I could find others.

I guess I don’t really understand the intention. Including an extra 30 seconds isn’t going to make that much of a difference in terms of “running too long.” I also don’t see how leaving it in disrupts the flow of the show more than awkwardly cutting it out. And if it was cut because it wasn’t as strong as maybe some of the other material that made it to episode, then I’m not sure putting it contextless in the middle of a Minisode is better.

I don’t know. I feel almost like I’m complaining that the podcast I enjoy is providing extra content, and that’s a super dumb thing to complain about. But I do agree with you, and I would rather it just be kept in the main episode. If it’s good enough to play here, then it’s good enough to be left in.

If I had to guess, my assumption would be editing them out in the first place is to “add value” to the Minisodes, but personally, I feel like Minisodes are kind of their own thing and don’t need to be propped up with excerpts from the show. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

 

5 hours ago, DrGuts1003 said:

If I’m in the minority, I’ll shut up, but personally, I would prefer the actual episode be left as uncut and whole as possible rather than getting these “deleted scenes” in the minisodes.  I mean, I get cutting dead air during the time when Paul is walking from the balcony (those monsters) back to the stage, but otherwise leave every joke/comment in the actual episode.  Even if it is not fall down hilarious, I would still rather hear it than have an episode hacked all to pieces.  I feel like the StarCrash episode was particularly choppy and difficult to contextualize at times.

The Starcrash was really choppy but I'm fine with them editing them in general. The live shows have more dead space than you might think and they use jokes multiple times.

If I'm listening at home, I don't want to hear the unedited several minute long "Raise your hand if you have a Second Opinions theme. Ok. I'll pick you... you... you... you... you... and you. Here's directions to get to the stage." It's necessary to get that audience participation but it's a long, not particularly funny section. I bet it sounds the exact same every line show.  That would get tiring if you hear a 5-10 minute set of instructions every single live episode.

Plus, a lot of jokes gets reused. While Paul walks around, this clip had "don't look at us." That's made it to an episode before. I attended two live shows in one night and Jason said it at both live shows. So, I assume he does it virtually every show. It lands at the live shows because you haven't heard it 50 times. Imagine hearing that every live episode. I'm sure there are more we don't hear every episode. I'm sure it keeps us sane from not hearing a joke repeatedly and it keeps them sane by having a go to joke that gets a laugh every show instead of filling dead air a new line every show.

There was also that weird run where guests called in to the minisodes about masturbating to stars of the movie. It was really uncomfortable. I know there was someone here who said an audience member had a really long, uncomfortable question about finding an actress hot at a live show. That never made it to air either and I'm thankful for that.

I do think it's kind of weird to cut bits that get turned into shirts. So, maybe leave that stuff in. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, grudlian. said:

I know there was someone here who said an audience member had a really long, uncomfortable question about finding an actress hot at a live show. That never made it to air either and I'm thankful for that.

*raises hand*

It was at Timecop in Austin. He just talked about Mia Sara and the entirety of the Paramount was uncomfortable. Really happy they cut that one out to save everyone lol.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Not to speak for @DrGuts1003, but I think he gets that edits need to happen - whether for uncomfortable audience questions or whatever. He admits in his post to lulls needing to be cut as Paul gets to places and what not. I think the issue is more, you cut this segment out , but not for any of those reasons, just kind of...because? Like, why make an edit if you’re just going to end up releasing it anyway? It just feels needless, not to mention noticeable. Guts isn’t asking for the audio to be pristine, just not chopped up for no reason.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

Not to speak for @DrGuts1003, but I think he gets that edits need to happen - whether for uncomfortable audience questions or whatever. He admits in his post to lulls needing to be cut as Paul gets to places and what not. I think the issue is more, you cut this segment out , but not for any of those reasons, just kind of...because? Like, why make an edit if you’re just going to end up releasing it anyway? It just feels needless, not to mention noticeable. Guts isn’t asking for the audio to be pristine, just not chopped up for no reason.

I look at it the same way I look at deleted scenes in a movie. Sometimes it just flows better without a scene even if that scene is fine.

This is pure speculation but ehile podcasts don't have run time limitations, I bet longer episodes get listened less which means less likely to get ads revenue. For some podcasts, I've definitely thought "ugh...I don't have time for this right now." My completionist mentality forces me to listen to every episode but not everyone does. I'm sure someone has done some study that's concluded "If a podcast is 90+ minutes, X% compared to three average don't listen. If it's 89 minutes or less, X% or more will listen."  Obviously, I'm making up the run time and there are plenty of other variables. I could speculate on several similar reasons but I figure the editor of these normally has some basic guidelines they follow to keep the show good.

I agree that I'd like to keep the episodes as uncut as possible but I also get why they cut stuff.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, grudlian. said:

I look at it the same way I look at deleted scenes in a movie. Sometimes it just flows better without a scene even if that scene is fine.

This is pure speculation but ehile podcasts don't have run time limitations, I bet longer episodes get listened less which means less likely to get ads revenue. For some podcasts, I've definitely thought "ugh...I don't have time for this right now." My completionist mentality forces me to listen to every episode but not everyone does. I'm sure someone has done some study that's concluded "If a podcast is 90+ minutes, X% compared to three average don't listen. If it's 89 minutes or less, X% or more will listen."  Obviously, I'm making up the run time and there are plenty of other variables. I could speculate on several similar reasons but I figure the editor of these normally has some basic guidelines they follow to keep the show good.

I agree that I'd like to keep the episodes as uncut as possible but I also get why they cut stuff.

Maybe, but that’s why I brought up Drop Dead Fred and Hobbs and Shaw as examples of recent episodes that were 20 minutes longer - extremely popular episodes, too, considering people still identify themselves as Team Fred or not. Paul presents it in the episode as if they were “cut for time,” but that doesn’t really make sense to me. Unless, in just the last month they started using the metric you’re proposing.

Honestly, I don’t care if there are edits, but they should be as subtle as possible. That’s all I’m saying. 

Paul is always trying to add value to the Minisodes and that’s awesome. They went from basically ten minute trailers to the Help Line, C&O, Mail bag, Paul’s Pick, Movie Bitches, Would Nic Cage Make it Better, Facebook Q&A thing it’s evolved into. Personally, I love the minis, but since Minisodes probably aren’t listened to as religiously by casual listeners as main episodes, I think he’s trying to provide content that encourages them to check the minis out and not just skip over them (we can perhaps talk about as revenue here, too). And, of course, that’s a good thing. I’m glad he’s always looking for ways to make things feel fresh. That being said, we can’t expect every experiment to work.

Of course, I’m just speculating here, but if this is the case, I would prefer they keep the episodes more intact and let the minis be their own thing. Or, if they really want to keep putting in deleted scenes, which is fine too, make sure it’s not at the expense of jagged edits in the main episode.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

Maybe, but that’s why I brought up Drop Dead Fred and Hobbs and Shaw as examples of recent episodes that were 20 minutes longer - extremely popular episodes, too, considering people still identify themselves as Team Fred or not. Paul presents it in the episode as if they were “cut for time,” but that doesn’t really make sense to me. Unless, in just the last month they started using the metric you’re proposing.

Honestly, I don’t care if there are edits, but they should be as subtle as possible. That’s all I’m saying. 

Paul is always trying to add value to the Minisodes and that’s awesome. They went from basically ten minute trailers to the Help Line, C&O, Mail bag, Paul’s Pick, Movie Bitches, Would Nic Cage Make it Better, Facebook Q&A thing it’s evolved into. Personally, I love the minis, but since Minisodes probably aren’t listened to as religiously by casual listeners as main episodes, I think he’s trying to provide content that encourages them to check the minis out and not just skip over them (we can perhaps talk about as revenue here, too). And, of course, that’s a good thing. I’m glad he’s always looking for ways to make things feel fresh. That being said, we can’t expect every experiment to work.

Of course, I’m just speculating here, but if this is the case, I would prefer they keep the episodes more intact and let the minis be their own thing. Or, if they really want to keep putting in deleted scenes, which is fine too, make sure it’s not at the expense of jagged edits in the main episode.

I admit I did misread the original post that episodes should be uncut versus as uncut as possible.

I agree with you. I'm really just trying to offer an explanation that I think editing is good for the episodes and speculating why certain things probably get cut (or relegated to a mini). Getting people to listen to minis is probably part of it.

The runtime is purely guesswork on my part but I'd be surprised if a network as big as Earwolf doesn't take that into consideration For episodes you mentioned specifically, I'll speculate. Hobbs and Shaw is part of a series that HDTGM has done regularly and maybe they expect a bigger built in audience no matter what. For Drop Dead Fred, that was a very unusual episode and maybe they wanted as few cuts as possible to allow both sides time to speak. Or maybe they were experimenting with the idea "Does episode runtime really affect one of our biggest podcasts?" Or maybe the editor thought this episode wasn't as funny as Drop Dead Fred and cut it short then Paul said "you cut my favorite bit... put it in the minisode". Again, just throwing out ideas that may hold no water. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I'm a bit worried about the director of Country Bears. There was sadness in his voice even though he was trying to mask it. It's okay, man. We all do jobs we don't love.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

Body of Evidence is an awful 90s sex thriller...who has sex on broken light bulbs! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, LTL said:

Body of Evidence is an awful 90s sex thriller...who has sex on broken light bulbs! 

Madonna, apparently?

It’s been a long time since I’ve seen this one, but I remember it as being a hilarious attempt to cash in on and top the outrageousness of Basic instinct. It pretty much plays as a parody of that movie because of it’s willingness to play up the “kinky” sex scenes.

What’s weird is how many genuinely great actors (except for Madonna) are in this piece of shit. Everyone’s gotta eat, I guess.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Just kidding about Madonna and glass! Her real kinky perversion was getting Guy Ritchie to direct Swept Away. Has HDTGM done that movie yet? Because they should if they haven’t.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×