🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 79 The Rocky Horror Picture Show

We watched:

Rocky-Horror-Facebook-Event-Photo-1024x5

I’m eagerly awaiting all of your comments with antici...

source.gif

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

I’m eagerly awaiting all of your comments with antici...

Reveal hidden contents

source.gif

giphy.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Who hadn't seen this before? I'm super curious to see if this lands without the shadowcast performance for a first time.

I saw it for the first time at 13 when my best friend's mom offered to take our little group to he performance in Dallas, and I remember seeing the name pop up on TV and asked my mom if we could watch it since I was going that weekend. She basically was like, "Nope you're not allowed to see that!!" I was so confused because I was like well uh I'm seeing it this weekend I don't understand... But I didn't question it cause I didn't want to jinx not being allowed to go see the actual show. Turns out it's because of how purists take watching it at home for the first time. They absolutely find that as "that doesn't count." So I find myself very lucky to have seen it live for the first time because it totally changed my life after that.

• Like 3

I hadn't seen it before. I kind of don't think I would enjoy a shadowcast thing at all, but really enjoyed it watching it myself. Especially for the first time, I want to pay attention to what's going on on screen.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, tay-loe anne photo said:

Who hadn't seen this before? I'm super curious to see if this lands without the shadowcast performance for a first time.

I saw it for the first time at 13 when my best friend's mom offered to take our little group to he performance in Dallas, and I remember seeing the name pop up on TV and asked my mom if we could watch it since I was going that weekend. She basically was like, "Nope you're not allowed to see that!!" I was so confused because I was like well uh I'm seeing it this weekend I don't understand... But I didn't question it cause I didn't want to jinx not being allowed to go see the actual show. Turns out it's because of how purists take watching it at home for the first time. They absolutely find that as "that doesn't count." So I find myself very lucky to have seen it live for the first time because it totally changed my life after that.

I saw this for the first time, in its entirety, maybe two years ago. I watched it by myself and I loved it.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, tay-loe anne photo said:

I saw it live without an official shadow cast but there were people dancing at the front and we just basically all had fun.  Back then it was only midnight showings on weekends at the local theater.  What I loved was there were some trailers beforehand like Die Hard and America 3000.  We yelled back lines at those as well.

• Like 3

I knew the people at the church and in it were Riff Raff, Magenta, and Columbia but I never realized the wedding guests were the guests later doing the Time Warp.  I saw one face in the wedding guests and thought they looked familiar.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, AlmostAGhost said:

I hadn't seen it before. I kind of don't think I would enjoy a shadowcast thing at all, but really enjoyed it watching it myself. Especially for the first time, I want to pay attention to what's going on on screen.

Yeah if you genuinely want to know what's happening then the shadowcast performance is not going to do right by that. The first time I saw it live they had decided the dinner scene was too boring and had the whole audience throw around a beach ball and started making jokes that had nothing to do with the movie lol.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, tay-loe anne photo said:

Yeah if you genuinely want to know what's happening then the shadowcast performance is not going to do right by that. The first time I saw it live they had decided the dinner scene was too boring and had the whole audience throw around a beach ball and started making jokes that had nothing to do with the movie lol.

I did enjoy it enough though that I'm curious to go to one of these sometime! Remind me next year haha

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, tay-loe anne photo said:

I've seen this twice and both at home. Once in middle school by myself and didn't like it. I saw it again in college and, again, didn't like it. I've had people, as you've said, insist you need to see it live with audience participation. I've had big fans this week tell me it's just as good at home.

Personally, I don't think the audience participation or shadowcast sounds like my thing. I've avoided live shows of the The Room for the same reason. So, maybe this just isn't for me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, grudlian. said:

I've seen this twice and both at home. Once in middle school by myself and didn't like it. I saw it again in college and, again, didn't like it. I've had people, as you've said, insist you need to see it live with audience participation. I've had big fans this week tell me it's just as good at home.

Personally, I don't think the audience participation or shadowcast sounds like my thing. I've avoided live shows of the The Room for the same reason. So, maybe this just isn't for me.

I've never been to a live showing of The Room but I can't imagine it's the same thing. I think what makes The Room hilarious is sitting with a small group of friends and you can each laugh together, but for Rocky Horror it's a full on production with call outs and not just throwing spoons. Plus the people that actually act it out in front along with the movie are legit putting their all into the production which makes it a lot of fun.

I have also seen a legit stage production without the movie once and that was also a lot of fun because you get the talent of people actually singing themselves mixed with the ability to call out nonsense at them. That may have been my favorite viewing.

• Like 2

I think I caught some of it as a kid, but I don't think I really got it at the time and kind of wrote it off. Then, I want to say about two years ago, it was on sale on iTunes right before Halloween so I went ahead and bought it. My thinking was, if I still didn't like it, I was only going to be out the cost of a rental. I think it's definitely the type of movie that you have to be in the right mindset for. I read @Quasar Sniffer's Letterboxd review and he isn't wrong. However, I don't think the movie is trying to be malicious and is no more problematic than 95% of movies made before 1999.

It's strange to think that as a society we might actually be more woke than Rocky Horror...

• Like 3

Has anyone seen the stage production?  I saw a revival in the early 2000's and remember thinking I liked it better than watching the movie on its own.  I admit wondering what the filmmakers thought when they were making it.  For me knowing their intentions would help my enjoyment of it.  Like @Cameron H. I bought the Blu-Ray during a Black Friday sale especially because it came with a digital copy.  For me the fun is shouting back at the movie.  I was doing that when I watched it.  Lines came flooding back from my memory.

• Like 3

Continued: I know Tim Curry was all in on this since he starred in the L.A. stage show that gave rise to the movie.  I don't know if anyone else transferred to the screen (other than Richard O'Brien of course).

• Like 1

I’ve seen this a few times and have always wondered why exactly Riffraff and Magenta kill Frank at the end?  

Has anyone seen the remake?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

I think I caught some of it as a kid, but I don't think I really got it at the time and kind of wrote it off. Then, I want to say about two years ago, it was on sale on iTunes right before Halloween so I went ahead and bought it. My thinking was, if I still didn't like it, I was only going to be out the cost of a rental. I think it's definitely the type of movie that you have to be in the right mindset for. I read @Quasar Sniffer's Letterboxd review and he isn't wrong. However, I don't think the movie is trying to be malicious and is no more problematic than 95% of movies made before 1999.

It's strange to think that as a society we might actually be more woke than Rocky Horror...

I haven't read his review yet, but going off of context within this post I assume it's about trans representation? Cause I have a trans friend that fucking HATES this movie because of the problematic parts. I can not speak to that myself but as a little blossoming 13 yo bi girl this kinda opened my eyes to things other than the way they had been fed to us all up until that point. I do have to say that a lot of terms and ideas were more in the lexicon in that era than they obviously are now, but that definitely isn't an excuse for a lot of the call backs being continuously used these days.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, tay-loe anne photo said:

I haven't read his review yet, but going off of context within this post I assume it's about trans representation? Cause I have a trans friend that fucking HATES this movie because of the problematic parts. I can not speak to that myself but as a little blossoming 13 yo bi girl this kinda opened my eyes to things other than the way they had been fed to us all up until that point. I do have to say that a lot of terms and ideas were more in the lexicon in that era than they obviously are now, but that definitely isn't an excuse for a lot of the call backs being continuously used these days.

I think I'll let Quasar make his own points, but I agree with you. I can see how this movie can both be reductive and inspirational. That being said, a lot of things are and I think Rocky Horror may be many people's first experience into a world that's not strictly heteronormative.  So while I don't think it's necessarily perfect, I do think it's important. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cameron H. said:

I think I'll let Quasar make his own points, but I agree with you. I can see how this movie can both be reductive and inspirational. That being said, a lot of things are and I think Rocky Horror may be many people's first experience into a world that's not strictly heteronormative.  So while I don't think it's necessarily perfect, I do think it's important. 

Yeah I feel the same way. I definitely don't want to erase anyone that has any problems with it, cause that's in and of itself reductive.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, tay-loe anne photo said:

I've never been to a live showing of The Room but I can't imagine it's the same thing. I think what makes The Room hilarious is sitting with a small group of friends and you can each laugh together, but for Rocky Horror it's a full on production with call outs and not just throwing spoons. Plus the people that actually act it out in front along with the movie are legit putting their all into the production which makes it a lot of fun.

I have also seen a legit stage production without the movie once and that was also a lot of fun because you get the talent of people actually singing themselves mixed with the ability to call out nonsense at them. That may have been my favorite viewing.

I'm not entirely sure what they do at live Room showings but I'm kind of against those in general. The Room seems more like its just insulting a bad movie and Rocky Horror is about championing something they love.

I'm familiar enough with a lot of the Rocky Horror specific bits from knowing people who like it. It's all just not for me personally.

• Like 2

I have thoughts on the movie but am in the middle of the elementary school day and want to write about it when I have more time (we all watched it together! 😁 JK, obviously). I’m sure you all will be waiting with baited breath. :)

• Like 3

I'm not entirely sure what they do at live Room showings but I'm kind of against those in general. The Room seems more like its just insulting a bad movie and Rocky Horror is about championing something they love.

I'm familiar enough with a lot of the Rocky Horror specific bits from knowing people who like it. It's all just not for me personally.

You are spot on with both impressions.  I've been to a Room live showing and it was exactly that, picking apart the movie.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GrahamS. said:

I have thoughts on the movie but am in the middle of the elementary school day and want to write about it when I have more time (we all watched it together! 😁 JK, obviously). I’m sure you all will be waiting with baited breath. :)

1*fAfQZ5SYU6O3qorjxZSpVw.gif

• Like 1

Has anyone seen the sequel, Shock Treatment, or is that a conversation best left for another week? 🙂

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cameron H. said:

Has anyone seen the sequel, Shock Treatment, or is that a conversation best left for another week? 🙂

I don't think I knew there was a sequel....

• Like 2