🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
admin

Episode 152 — Behind the Irony Curtain

This week we're giving you Comedy Bang Bang listeners a little treat: Two previously unreleased episodes with some behind-the-curtain commentary courtesy of Scott Aukerman. Today's episode features Seth Morris in the role he was born to play: Himself! We also meet a brand new character from first-time guest Ed Helms. If you like learning how the bread is made, come back on Thursday for another look inside the Comedy Bang Bang vault.

• Like 1

This is great!

I'm very excited for the return of How the Bread Is Made. I do hope Scottabot will have the time to write those a little more frequently now that he's done shooting the CBB show.

And while I'm here I should say: Thanks Earwolf! You're the best!

• Like 5

There sure were a lot of unspoken dick jokes in this episode.

Peeking behind the curtain of this amazing show is always a treat!

I loved hearing how they try and figure out everything on the fly with Helms.

I am very much looking forward to Thursday's episode.

• Like 3

I thought you guys were great, even if we hadn't known under the circumstances. Where was the disclaimer for those two idiots last week?

• Like 1

As a big fan of comedy, it was interesting to see how the bread is made. Definitely a great learning experience and you can really see how improv comedy operates.

Also congrats to Julia for her plug.

• Like 2

This was a fine episode... hearing the intro, I was expecting a train wreck, but I wouldn't have felt anything was amiss if I had heard it cold. I can understand why Ed might have felt uncomfortable, going into character with zero preparation while having to yes-and a lot of completely weird suggestions that came out of nowhere - but he was game for it, and the end result was good. When Andy Daly comes in, it seems like there's a challenge to see just how well he can respond to insane premises that steer his characters out of control, and that seemed to be happening to Ed here. I guess some of it was an attempt at discovering what could be written onto a blank slate. Okay, enough of my amateur Monday Mid-Morning Improv Quarterbacking. Also, hearing some insight into the birth and development of Bob Ducca was interesting.

• Like 1

I wish there was more ducca in this ep still great though! those plugs were odd...

Great episode, intro had me nervous but it was unique and interesting.

I liked how Dale kept agreeing with things... always caving instead of arguing or debating any further.

Can anyone in LA confirm the puppet show took place in February? I haven't used my time machine in a few days and I need some good laughs.

I am going to wait patiently for the day someone asks me if I use Bing and I'll say "NO, What am I an idiot? I use Google.com!"

The I'll wait for google to send me some money for advertising for them.

I thought you guys were great, even if we hadn't known under the circumstances. Where was the disclaimer for those two idiots last week?

I agree. Even without it, I would have still laughed my ass off.

p.s. That was an awesome plugs tune Willie J's Hays!

• Like 1

Marin County motherfuckerrrrr!!!!! 415!!! 415!!!!!

Since I'm from there I know exactly the kind of person Seth is basing Bob Ducca on. Holistic individuals. I miss it.

I definitely found the titular peek behind the scenes given in this episode very interesting. Actually being able to feel the improv gears turning in everyone's heads as they scrambled to build something cohesive out of Ed's character was actually kind of fascinating.

Part of me wonders, though, why it was even necessary for him to do a character in the first place. I know that the real person/weirdo dynamic is this show's primary format (especially since becoming CBB), but considering Seth and Ed's work history together I think it could have still been a great episode just to hear Scott interacting with both of these guys as real people. Even if it was just a "Broin' Out" style chat, I'm sure everyone involved here could deliver the funny. There are some episodes from the CDR era that did this really well, like the one with Chris Hardwick and Matthew Braunger or the one with Chelsea Peretti and Nick Thune; I would love to see that kind of thing pop up occasionally at some point in the future.

Just to be clear, I don't mean this as a criticism of the show, because as far as I'm concerned CBB has been consistently hitting it out of the park over the past few weeks. Hearing about how the bread is made just got me thinking about this kind of stuff, I guess. :P

• Like 6

I nominate this podcast for most stressful opening ever in a comedy podcast.

• Like 2

Part of me wonders, though, why it was even necessary for him to do a character in the first place. I know that the real person/weirdo dynamic is this show's primary format (especially since becoming CBB), but considering Seth and Ed's work history together I think it could have still been a great episode just to hear Scott interacting with both of these guys as real people. Even if it was just a "Broin' Out" style chat, I'm sure everyone involved here could deliver the funny. There are some episodes from the CDR era that did this really well, like the one with Chris Hardwick and Matthew Braunger or the one with Chelsea Peretti and Nick Thune; I would love to see that kind of thing pop up occasionally at some point in the future.

Yeah I thought it would have been fine if they'd just had a non-character episode. It worked out great as it was, but there's other ways they could have gone with it and it probably also would have been good.

Basically I just hope Scott doesn't feel obligated to always have the show stick to a certain format. Some of my favorite episodes are where things don't follow the usual format, and end up being a bit unpredictable and random.

• Like 2

Seth's 'Uh-uh' about the weather and the Brett Gelman impression right off the bat were hilarious.

I can't wait for the bonus episode on Thursday. Atypical? Will Forte? AND Leo Allen? I've got a boner already!

• Like 2

Ed's character has serious potential... I'd love to see a vitriolic, O'Reilly type that just instantly caves as soon as anyone presents a counter-argument.

Good episode! (Julia, you got some pipes, girl!)

• Like 3

I will definitely co-sign on the amazingness of Anglo Brett Gelman and the culmination of the talk about Dale's backpack. "I thought they were mustard packets..." is a good candidate for a b-b-b-b-b-b-BONUS clip in next year's best-of show.

• Like 1