Episode 175 - Ultraviolet: LIVE!

97 replies to this topic

#41 SonarJose

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 05:00 PM

re: The final Second Opinion claim that Milla Jovovich does all her own stunts. ...

That is all.

Attached File(s)

#42 Ryan Sz

Technically a scientist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,769 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 05:49 PM

Watching this 30 million dollar budget movie made me realize how much the people making had to have embezzled every single penny of that because I recently rewatched the first ABCs of Death anthology and there is a segment set in a similar dystopian future and has way better CGI and with a fraction of the budget.

2018 DLM Challenge: 19 movies (19 new)
2016 DLM Challenge: 618 movies (478 new)
"I'm gonna fuck the 'Mind of Mencia' out of you!" - Paul Scheer
"Fuck you, I watched this fucking movie bro!" June Diane Raphael
"Everyone in this movie is a fucking idiot!" - Zouks
"How's yo dick?" - Nicole Byer

#43 SeaSkunk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationThe Bunker

Posted 11 November 2017 - 06:14 PM

View PostQuasar Sniffer, on 11 November 2017 - 12:56 PM, said:

I'm assuming it's a play on the variety of viruses known as Bacteriophages.

So the term being derived from "to devour" makes sense, as vampires literally devour blood to survive. I think the name "hemophage" is probably the smartest and most logical part of this fucking movie.

Good call! I think I was confusing it with hemophage with hemophile.

View Posttomspanks, on 11 November 2017 - 02:54 PM, said:

At one point, Daxus says to Violet, "you got hemoblood on me!" The prefix hemo- means blood, so he's basically saying "you got blood blood on me."

Well, if getting blood on you is bad, getting blood blood must be even worse?

#44 Ryan Sz

Technically a scientist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,769 posts

Posted 11 November 2017 - 07:21 PM

View PostSeaSkunk, on 11 November 2017 - 06:14 PM, said:

Well, if getting blood on you is bad, getting blood blood must be even worse?

Sort of like how the Devil is a bad dude, but the Super Devil is REALLY bad.
Posted Image

#45 SweatyPremise

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:46 AM

No one made a single comment about the title of the film. Her name is Violet, and she is certainly ultra-powerful, but it's also a reference to UV wavelengths, which are what vampires (hemophages) are sensitive to. Also, nothing disinfects like UV light, so it also suggests that it's good for humans. I think it's a ham-handed attempt to suggest that exposing secrets is the best way to heal both vampires and humans. But again, what the fuck? Confusing as shit.

Anyway, if you read the novelization of the film, you find out that hemophages have powers, sensitivity to light, and live shorter than regular humans. You also find out that Chicago is the key location in the film. It's the place where the bowling balls attack in the beginning, where V infiltrates shit and runs around, and also where vampires were invented. Btw--I cannot suggest the novel. It's just as stupid and shitty and confusing as the movie.

#46 DownInTheLicoriceMines

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 03:43 PM

This ep has some great laughs. Howdy material. I enjoyed this movie when I first saw it a few years ago, and again when I re-watched it for this episode. Everything everyone mentioned (super bad CG, everything else) made me happy. Milla was great. Would recommend. 5 stars.

#47 Cameron H.

Cookin' With Potatoes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,597 posts
  • LocationWerewolf Warehouse

Posted 12 November 2017 - 03:52 PM

Almost done with the episode, and I’m starting to think they should have done Pixels instead. ;)
Wills: Just eating my beef, babe.
Second Sight (1989)

King Ferdinand: How well he's read, to reason against reading.
Love's Labour's Lost (2000)

#48 Elektra Boogaloo

Mistress of All Agonies

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 12 November 2017 - 04:45 PM

View PostPollyDarton, on 10 November 2017 - 08:00 PM, said:

Charlize Theron, Carrie Anne Moss, Uma Thurman, Maggie Q, Angelina Jolie

View PostThe_Triple_Lindy, on 10 November 2017 - 08:10 PM, said:

Cynthia Rothrock
Ziyi Zhang
Michelle Rodriguez
Grace Jones
Bridgette Nielson

View Posttomspanks, on 10 November 2017 - 08:14 PM, said:

If you go Ziyi Zhang, may I please add Michelle Yeoh?
]

I love all of these additions. I wish you guys had been with me when I confronted this dude bro, who is obviously an idiot.

#49 JoelSchlosberg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:06 PM

View Posttomspanks, on 11 November 2017 - 02:54 PM, said:

Kind of related to the post above. At one point, Daxus says to Violet, "you got hemoblood on me!" The prefix hemo- means blood, so he's basically saying "you got blood blood on me." I bet he's one of those people who say "ATM machine" and "PIN number."

And then there's “Manos” The Hands of Fate:
Posted Image
“Manos” is the Spanish word for "hands"!

#50 JoelSchlosberg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:14 PM

View PostSonarJose, on 11 November 2017 - 05:00 PM, said:

re: The final Second Opinion claim that Milla Jovovich does all her own stunts. ...

[IMDB photo of Milla Jovovich with a stunt double]

That is all.

You don't even have to look it up on IMDB - the end credits in the movie itself list not just 1, not even 2, but 3 stunt doubles for Jovovich:
Posted Image

Three stunt doubles! Ah ah ah!
Posted Image

#51 JoelSchlosberg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:33 PM

While the biohazard symbol-shaped building was mentioned, the podcast didn't really go into just how impractical such a design would be, particularly the sharp corners at the edges of the crescents:
Posted Image
Wouldn't it be super awkward if your cubicle was in the narrow space at the very tip? How far do hallways and stairwells/elevators extend to the end? Don't the sharp curves put unnecessary strain on the structure?

There are real-life buildings in the shape of a sharp wedge, like the Flatiron Building in New York City, but they're usually built at intersections where the angles of intersecting streets is an external constraint.
Posted Image
But the biohazard-symbol building is on a solid foundation with empty space between the buildings that isn't being used for anything! There aren't even skyway bridges connecting the main building with the three smaller buildings inside.

#52 JoelSchlosberg

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 06:44 PM

The impracticality of the villain's nose plugs was discussed, but was I the only one who was getting flashbacks to nasal equipment that adds to the lack of menace in another infamous bad movie?

Posted Image

Posted Image

#53 Ryan Sz

Technically a scientist

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,769 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:00 PM

View PostThe_Triple_Lindy, on 10 November 2017 - 08:10 PM, said:

Cynthia Rothrock
Ziyi Zhang
Michelle Rodriguez
Grace Jones
Bridgette Nielson

Rothrock and Nielson were in a female Expendable type film called Mercenaries with Zoe Bell, Vivica A Fox, and Kristanna Loken.

#54 Cameron H.

Cookin' With Potatoes

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,597 posts
  • LocationWerewolf Warehouse

Posted 12 November 2017 - 07:45 PM

For me, one of the more ridiculous moments was when Violet drives to the ArchMinistry to demand the antidote from Daxus. She drives wildly through the (surprisingly) empty streets of Future City, skids to a dramatic stop about 30 yards from Daxus, opens the door to the car with a dramatic flourish - brandishing her sword and gun - and has a long, low volume conversation with Daxus which ends with him and his soldiers shooting the shit out of her car. It's at this point that we learn (uh-oh!), she was a hologram the whole time! Whoa there, movie. Let's examine this logically.

First of all, sure, I can buy a self-driving car. We already have them. No big deal. However, what I do have a problem with is that there would be a pre-programmed setting that allows for casual stunt driving through city streets.

Next, her goddamn hologram opens the door! Let me just repeat that. Her hologram...opens a door. An intangible image...interacts with a physical object. And, yes, I have considered that, perhaps, the self-driving car might have automatic doors, but that means two things: A) that, again, these cars have a very specific "I'm pissed off and want this door to fling open dramatically" setting, and B ) she would have had to reherse that exit at least a couple of times to make it look believable. This also means, since this is a hologram and not some prerecorded simulation, that when she flourishes that sword and gun as she exits the car, she was across the street acting all this shit out - which is straight up bananas to imagine. Did she really think, "If I don't leap out of this car like a spasmatic psychopath, they're not going to buy my charade?"

Which brings me to the conversation itself. How are they even talking to one another? Daxus is nearly a hundred feet away from her! The phone is in the car. So you're telling me that he can speak at a normal volume, in a windy courtyard, and she's receiving him loud and clear? How is her voice being projected? Certainly not through a fucking hologram. Am I supposed to believe that that stupid, card stock cellphone is capable of cranking out some eardrum decimating decibles? I have a hard time believing any consumer advocacy groups would allow that.

And finally, what's even the fucking point? She goes there, demands the antidote, and...then what? She already knows he's surrounded by guards at the ArchMinistry. She walks away from that conversation having gained absolutely nothing - at least not anything that would help her tactically or strategically. And what if her threats had worked? It's not like the hologram would be able to take the antidote. So dumb.

This movie was the worst!
Wills: Just eating my beef, babe.
Second Sight (1989)

King Ferdinand: How well he's read, to reason against reading.
Love's Labour's Lost (2000)

#55 grudlian.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 08:27 PM

I'm curious if anyone else thinks that the biohazard symbols all over this are an intentional reference to Resident Evil. The Resident Evil games are called Biohazard in Japan. The Resident Evil movies all star Milla Jovovich. The writer/director wrote the movie specifically with Milla Jovovoich in mind.

#56 Shatneriffic

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 09:01 PM

View Postgrudlian., on 11 November 2017 - 12:02 AM, said:

Here's the scene in case anyone missed it.
Posted Image

The "see no evil" one is played by writer/director Kurt Wimer.

#57 Cam Bert

Foreign Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan

Posted 13 November 2017 - 02:34 AM

View Postgrudlian., on 12 November 2017 - 08:27 PM, said:

I'm curious if anyone else thinks that the biohazard symbols all over this are an intentional reference to Resident Evil. The Resident Evil games are called Biohazard in Japan. The Resident Evil movies all star Milla Jovovich. The writer/director wrote the movie specifically with Milla Jovovoich in mind.

A few years I remember going to USJ (Universal Studios Japan) for their Halloween celebrations. They always had a section of the park made into Raccoon city and had Resident Evil/Biohazard characters and monsters about. Then they started doing an attraction there called "Biohazard the Real" in which you were given a laser gun and walked about a haunted house shooting at people dressed as zombies. Unfortunately a lot of people just called it "real biohazard" which made for an awkward moment when I first heard of it and was asked "there is a real biohazard at USJ, do you want to go?"
My Howdy sense is tingling. Break out Google maps and my abacus...there's a C&O to be solved! And this time, it's personal...
(credit to Elektra and Cameron H)

#58 The_Triple_Lindy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • LocationThornton Melon School of Business, Grand Lakes U

Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:42 AM

View Postgrudlian., on 12 November 2017 - 08:27 PM, said:

That's funny, because Resident Evil VII is subtitled "Biohazard" ... wonder if it's called "Biohazard VII: Biohazard" in Japan.

#59 Cam Bert

Foreign Correspondent

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,204 posts
  • LocationOsaka, Japan

Posted 13 November 2017 - 05:48 AM

View PostThe_Triple_Lindy, on 13 November 2017 - 05:42 AM, said:

That's funny, because Resident Evil VII is subtitled "Biohazard" ... wonder if it's called "Biohazard VII: Biohazard" in Japan.

You'll like this, they went super meta it's called "Biohazard 7: Resident Evil"
My Howdy sense is tingling. Break out Google maps and my abacus...there's a C&O to be solved! And this time, it's personal...
(credit to Elektra and Cameron H)

#60 AprilFoolsRebel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • LocationArea Nifty-One

Posted 13 November 2017 - 06:33 AM

Tangent: I legit thought that the whole Q-Bert/Gad Pixels ending was a bit... but they were so serious and it kept going for so long, I had to check. IT'S REAL!? HOW IN THE HELL IS THAT REAL?