🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

EPISODE 112.5 — Minisode 112.5

And of course you have to have all of the choreography worked out with your opponent before that, because you don't want to look like a BITCH to your boys for not holding up your end of the knife dance fight. They'll ride your ass hard at the next rehearsal and you'll never hear the end of it.

Too true. Too true. I mean, look at these jokers:

200.gif

Sloppy. No rhythm. Un-choreographed. And nary a knife to be seen. These fuckers would get owned by those dudes in the "Beat It" video.

*sigh* Life on the streets...People just don't know.

• Like 3

Well you don't necessarily need knives, the epic battle between the Electro Rocks and the TKO crew in Breakin 2: Electric Boogaloo only featured nunchucks, trash can lid shields, leg warmers and guys in copious amounts of studded clothing getting off at each other.

• Like 5

Well you don't necessarily need knives, the epic battle between the Electro Rocks and the TKO crew in Breakin 2: Electric Boogaloo only featured nunchucks, trash can lid shields, leg warmers and guys in copious amounts of studded clothing getting off at each other.

I always wished that the kids from Breakin' and Breakin' 2 were one of the gangs from The Warriors (same universe, basically), but they were too busy breakin' to bother going to the Midnight Summit.

• Like 1

I'm watching TMNT right now. Quick question: is anyone not familiar with the Turtles?

I don't mean, like, you've never heard of them, but more like, you don't know their origin story, who April is, how they ended up in her apartment - that sort of thing?

I'd be really interested to hear anyone's reaction to this movie that knows a lot less about the Turtles than I or most of my friends growing up did. I'm kind of hoping June is in that boat for this ep because I feel like this movie is almost incomprehensible if you don't at least have a baseline knowledge of the Turtles and some of their background.

Anyway, I'm off to go remove all the bells in 15 seconds...while working in concealment.

*raises hand* I remember as a kid seeing the first movie and a bit of the cartoon but I have very vague memories of it and I think that was the last I've ever really paid attention to them. Now I'm wondering if that was even the first movie...

But to your point I don't have a ton of knowledge about them and I was thinking about skipping this movie but maybe I won't just to give y'all some good entertainment lol.

• Like 3

*raises hand* I remember as a kid seeing the first movie and a bit of the cartoon but I have very vague memories of it and I think that was the last I've ever really paid attention to them. Now I'm wondering if that was even the first movie...

But to your point I don't have a ton of knowledge about them and I was thinking about skipping this movie but maybe I won't just to give y'all some good entertainment lol.

Tayloranne, you HAVE to watch it! Fister, myself, and many of the other's here, grew up with this crap, so no matter how terrible it is (and it is truly, truly terrible) we'll always be watching it through rose-colored, nostalgia goggles. Your posts are always so great, please don't deprive us of your pure and objective take on it.

Honestly, after revisiting this movie after so long and knowing the amount of hours I spent in the throes of full blown Turtlemania as a child, I am surprised my parents didn't just leave me on a rocky beach in the middle of nowhere and say, "His fate is up to the Gods now. Hopefully we'll do better with the next one..."

• Like 3

Tayloranne, you HAVE to watch it! Fister, myself, and many of the other's here, grew up with this crap, so no matter how terrible it is (and it is truly, truly terrible) we'll always be watching it through rose-colored, nostalgia goggles. Your posts are always so great, please don't deprive us of your pure and objective take on it.

I totally second this! I want to hear from someone that doesn't know that much about the Turtles. I hadn't seen this movie in years and years, and I was fully expecting to be defending this movie like Nonesuch was with JA last week. The opening scene stripped me of that notion entirely, but I still had a blast watching this movie, largely from the nostalgia factor. I really want to see if it's totally bananas to someone that didn't grow up with a TMNT obsession.

Tayloranne - be our social experiment!

• Like 2

Yeah, I have this weird relationship with certain nostalgic artifacts from my youth. Stuff like the first Turtles movie, the Transformers cartoon, or even legitimate cinematic masterpieces like Raiders of the Lost Ark that I constantly viewed as a kid will always have a soft spot in my heart (obviously, Raiders ranking a bit higher than the other two). But stuff like the Turtles sequels or movies like Surf Ninjas... I fucking despise. It's like, "How dare you have been so STUPID as to like this? What is your problem?!?!" So all of the faults of this movie are magnified, while all the faults of, say, the Transformers animated movie are turned into strengths.

Yeah, I have this weird relationship with certain nostalgic artifacts from my youth. Stuff like the first Turtles movie, the Transformers cartoon, or even legitimate cinematic masterpieces like Raiders of the Lost Ark that I constantly viewed as a kid will always have a soft spot in my heart (obviously, Raiders ranking a bit higher than the other two). But stuff like the Turtles sequels or movies like Surf Ninjas... I fucking despise. It's like, "How dare you have been so STUPID as to like this? What is your problem?!?!" So all of the faults of this movie are magnified, while all the faults of, say, the Transformers animated movie are turned into strengths.

Quick "Surf Ninjas" story: My cousins grew up in Hermosa Beach, California, which was host for all sorts of low budget beach-related movies and TV shows, including "Surf Ninjas". Anyway, Tone Loc shared some Twizzlers with my cousin Christopher and was subsequently chewed out by the director, because the production was THAT CHEAP. No room in the licorice budget for extras, apparently...

• Like 3

Quick "Surf Ninjas" story: My cousins grew up in Hermosa Beach, California, which was host for all sorts of low budget beach-related movies and TV shows, including "Surf Ninjas". Anyway, Tone Loc shared some Twizzlers with my cousin Christopher and was subsequently chewed out by the director, because the production was THAT CHEAP. No room in the licorice budget for extras, apparently...

Surf Ninjas and 3 Ninjas came out a year apart, and I always get them confused because of that. I saw both, but no matter which one is named, I always think of 3 Ninjas. So when I read this, I thought, "Did Tone Loc square off with fuckin' Tum Tum and I just forgot about it?"

• Like 1

90s garbage cinema: The Worst.

Also, I remember as a kid being annoyed at the movie that the Turtles didn't sound like themselves from the cartoon and wondering why they recast them, especially when you couldn't see the actors' faces. Then, being further annoyed that they did more recasting for the Secret of the Ooze, as well as April O'Neil. Anybody else experience this?

• Like 4

On the other hand, the third film looks like it was brought to you by the tech people behind Chuck E. Cheese and the Rock-a-Fire Explosion. In THAT film, every time a Turtle talks, it looks like his head is about to explode.

Was it Chuck E. Cheese or Showbiz pizza when that movie came out?

90s garbage cinema: The Worst.

Also, I remember as a kid being annoyed at the movie that the Turtles didn't sound like themselves from the cartoon and wondering why they recast them, especially when you couldn't see the actors' faces. Then, being further annoyed that they did more recasting for the Secret of the Ooze, as well as April O'Neil. Anybody else experience this?

It definitely annoyed me that April O'Neil was someone else in the 2nd movie. That bothered me more than the voices being different. Paige Turco doesn't even have red hair!!!!!!!!!!

Surf Ninjas and 3 Ninjas came out a year apart, and I always get them confused because of that. I saw both, but no matter which one is named, I always think of 3 Ninjas. So when I read this, I thought, "Did Tone Loc square off with fuckin' Tum Tum and I just forgot about it?"

Me too, I have to stop and think which one had the sequel with Hulk Hogan (which really should be on the HDTGM to do list)

• Like 1

So I know there's no Corrections and Ommissions to Mini Episodes...

But Goofy is not Mickey's dog! Pluto is Mickey's dog, and he's an actual dog. Goofy is an anthropomorphic dog, and while he is indeed a sidekick, he isn't owned by Mickey. In fact he has his own house.

Also funny to be reminded how in the US Mickey is the main guy and Donald the number two, while in most of Europe that's the other way around :-)

Was it Chuck E. Cheese or Showbiz pizza when that movie came out?

Come to think of it, I think they were still separate entities at that point. I remember when I lived in Ohio as a kid, I had my birthday at a Chuck E. Cheese, but then I moved to Illinois that summer where we had a Shobiz, and the places were pretty much identical aside from the characters.

I totally second this! I want to hear from someone that doesn't know that much about the Turtles. I hadn't seen this movie in years and years, and I was fully expecting to be defending this movie like Nonesuch was with JA last week. The opening scene stripped me of that notion entirely, but I still had a blast watching this movie, largely from the nostalgia factor. I really want to see if it's totally bananas to someone that didn't grow up with a TMNT obsession.

Tayloranne - be our social experiment!

Okay y'all have convinced me! I think the way that y'all feel about this is the way I feel about Batman & Robin. I know it's a terrible terrible movie but Batman meant so much to me as a kid that even the terrible movies are near and dear to my heart. (Except I think even as a child I thought Batman Forever was a piece of trash. At least I had fun watching B&R and that sparked my love of Poison Ivy.)

• Like 2

Come to think of it, I think they were still separate entities at that point. I remember when I lived in Ohio as a kid, I had my birthday at a Chuck E. Cheese, but then I moved to Illinois that summer where we had a Shobiz, and the places were pretty much identical aside from the characters.

I grew up in a Showbiz Area. I was kind of sad that it became Chuck E. Cheese. I preferred not eating rat or mouse pizza.... although I can't remember the Showbiz characters.

• Like 1

(Except I think even as a child I thought Batman Forever was a piece of trash. At least I had fun watching B&R and that sparked my love of Poison Ivy.)

Interesting. I had the opposite reaction. I liked Batman Forever when it first came out. I was 13 and didn't know better, but the next year, my sister got a job working at Blockbuster Video, and she shared her free rentals with me. So I started realizing what good movies actually were, and by the time B&R came out, I was like, "Wtf is this trash?"

So happy you're going to watch TMNT2, though! Can't wait to hear your thoughts!

• Like 3

Okay y'all have convinced me! I think the way that y'all feel about this is the way I feel about Batman & Robin. I know it's a terrible terrible movie but Batman meant so much to me as a kid that even the terrible movies are near and dear to my heart. (Except I think even as a child I thought Batman Forever was a piece of trash. At least I had fun watching B&R and that sparked my love of Poison Ivy.)

"Batman & Robin" feels like it's about 7 hours long though, whereas TMNT2 will at least go by quickly.

• Like 2

Interesting. I had the opposite reaction. I liked Batman Forever when it first came out. I was 13 and didn't know better, but the next year, my sister got a job working at Blockbuster Video, and she shared her free rentals with me. So I started realizing what good movies actually were, and by the time B&R came out, I was like, "Wtf is this trash?"

So happy you're going to watch TMNT2, though! Can't wait to hear your thoughts!

I liked "Forever" quite a bit at the time, but I really didn't care for "Returns" at all, so maybe I just liked the change. "Batman & Robin" took the worst parts though and cranked them up to 11.

• Like 2

Lots of people will yell at me, but I maintain that Batman Returns is actually the best of the OG Batman movies.

• Like 2

Nobody else thought this Bart Simpson cameo was... strange?

Cowabunga dude!

It was 1991. Bart Simpson was literally EVERYWHERE.

Also, I don't know if anyone else find this interesting, but I did some research on the history/etymology of the word "Cowabunga" after watching the Turtle Power documentary I mentioned earlier in the thread. There's some dispute about which Native American phrase it comes from initially, but everyone pretty much agrees that it was popularized by the Howdy Doody Show in the early 1950s, which actually pronounced it "Kawabonga" (kah-wah-bone-ga)

In the late 50s/early 60s, surfers picked up the term and changed the pronunciation to the "Cowabunga" we all know today. In 1965, drew a cartoon featuring Snoopy surfing and using the term:

snoopy-cowabunga.jpg

When David Wise was writing the first episode of the 1987 TMNT animated series, he basically shoehorned in a scene for Michelangelo to surf on a piece of office furniture. He put the Turtles in a room that was being flooded, and of course, they all ride out on desks and shout "Cowabunga!" (at about 0:15 in the video below):

[video=youtube;4co-d81mS7k]

In the Turtle Power documentary, Wise talks about how someone (I can't remember who, but probably Fred Wolf) jumped on that term immediately and decided it would be Mikey's catchphrase.

Around the same time, a little family in Springfield was starting to appear as animated shorts on the Tracy Ullman show. Bart Simpson used the phrase a couple of times during the shorts and throughout the first season of their own series. Initially, it was never really his catchphrase (his main ones were "Eat my shorts!" and "Don't have a cow, man"), but the combination of the word re-entering the lexicon in both TMNT and The SImpsons, various merchandise featuring Bart riding a skateboard and saying "Cowabunga, man!" began to appear:

cowabunga-300x267.gif

After that merchandise became popular, the word became yet another catchphrase for the young Simpson boy.

TL;DR - The Simpsons and TMNT both pulled out this random surfer slang from 20 years prior and made it a huge catchphrase of the 80s.

• Like 4

Lots of people will yell at me, but I maintain that Batman Returns is actually the best of the OG Batman movies.

LAST TIME I CHECKED BATMAN RETURNS HAS ZERO SONGS WRITTEN AND PERFORMED BY PRINCE; BATMAN HAS NINE!!!!!

I enjoy both films but the second has some more fun elements and those elements are mostly that I like Michelle Pfeiffer and thought she was pretty hot 25 years ago. Plus Batman Returns had some pretty sweet trading cards and stuff.

• Like 5

I grew up in a Showbiz Area. I was kind of sad that it became Chuck E. Cheese. I preferred not eating rat or mouse pizza.... although I can't remember the Showbiz characters.

I agree, I don't want a rat serving me pizza. I think showbiz was a bear or something? Their characters were cuter.

Tmnt, I definitely watched the cartoon and maybe the first movie but I think I was too old to see this one. So I'll have to watch...

Just FYI, the island of dr Moreau documentary is supposedly showing up on netflix next month.