🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 142.5 - Minisode 142.5

I caught this by accident at like 1 am on a movie channel because I saw Marguerite Moreau and she was my favourite Mighty Duck. To this day, when I see Stuart Townsend's name, I immediately replace it "Uma Thurman's ex". The only other thing I know him from is League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (which I unironically love)

I unironically love QotD and catching it at 1 AM is the best way to watch it. True Story: Aaliyah in this movie is what I point to whenever people ask for that moment when I found out I was attracted to girls. But also I was kinda hella into Stuart Townsend and that stupid goth vampire look. Bisexuality is fun.

• Like 3

I grew up in Pennsylvania in the 80s and 90s, and we said "bobo" all the time! Mostly to describe those bargain canvas sneakers, that were kindof like Converse. Instead of saying, 'bobo Converse', we just said bobos.

• Like 1

Sorry for the double post but we have a new addition to the Skateboard acting dynasty!

Meet Ball Skateboard

pennywise-it-full-length.jpg

I'm really bummed about this whole design. My favorite part of Tim Curry's Pennywise was that he seemed so innocuous, until he didnt want to be, and then he was creepy as fuck. The things Curry did with just a change of expression were fucking amazing.

This one they might as well have him wearing a baby skull necklace. His outfit makes him look he's wearing a frilly skirt too. They're trying way too hard to make him look scary whilst forgetting that they don't need to because clowns are just inherently freaky, just ask Jason.

• Like 1

MOV_a14678cd_b.jpg

Notable for being Aaliyah's last movie which was released after her death. In all honesty I still think she's the best part of the whole thing and wish she had more screen time than Marguerite Moreau.

This would be an excellent addition to the HDTGM filmography and hope someday I can discuss the lore of Anne Rice's novels and how they compare to this shitty movie.

you just reminded me of a documentary i saw years ago on one of the BBCs.

there was a guy in scotland said the queen in QoD told him to kill. i can't find the doc but i remember it being one of the scarier ones ive seen (and ive watched way too many over the years). he watched the movie over 100 times, heard her talking to him and ended up slaughthering some poor guy, horrible.

• Like 1

5ed87a8b7c.jpg

And I fucking love Paul for fiercely and publicly declaring his support for a feminist satire website. And more than just support, he signal-boosted an article on sexual assault, which belongs to a series of articles on rape culture that Reductress has written in response to the controversy that has risen after UCB permanently banned improv comic Aaron Glaser amid multiple allegations of rape and sexual harrasement.

5ee4bb3ef5.jpg

• Like 7

They're trying way too hard to make him look scary whilst forgetting that they don't need to because clowns are just inherently freaky, just ask Jason.

I can't find it now but I remember reading an article about how the number of people who are actually afraid of clowns has remained the same versus people who only say clowns scare them because of It exclusively had grown.

I'm legit scared of clowns because of an episode of Power Rangers. The Yellow Ranger had to bring her little sister along to the carnival but then they got lost/separated. Rita Repulsa sent down a minion in the shape of a clown and his power was turning people into cardboard cutouts of themselves. Obviously the Rangers won and the sister was turned back to normal.

Seriously...fuck you, clown.

• Like 4

I don't know how nun-clowns come to be a thing, but they are. (No pics please, for the love of all that's holy.)

• Like 1

Yeah Tim Curry in IT scares me, but clowns on their own don't... I don't think... Actually they might if I were to seriously study this.

Also I'm super duper angry about some shit with some coworkers so if anyone has some funny videos/memes/whatever that can distract me better than my actual work that would be great lol

ETA: Okay maybe actual work does a good job of distracting cause looking up photos of baby pandas can calm anyone.

IkCTwyD.jpg

• Like 4

Re: Clowns -- I believe Stephen King used a clown because that relies on a fundamental horror subversion; taking something intrinsically innocent or harmless and making it evil is an easy way to disarm your audience. It's a classic technique from old fairy tales, a literal wolf in sheep's clothing. The reason the It miniseries worked was of course because of Tim Curry's terrific work (some of the other performances have not aged as well).

Since then, the idea of coulrophobia (fear of clowns!) has permeated pop culture and become a trope itself. I'm not sure I find anything more horrifying than the prospect of being stranded at a Juggalo festival in rural Illinois. But it's important to remember that the clown wasn't the "natural" state of the Pennywise demon, and he appeared in several other forms throughout the novel. The new series (or is it a movie?) will probably fail if it relies solely on a scary clown to generate fear.

That said, the real problem here is the necessity in contemporary film and television for months and years of hype machinery. Characters are slowly teased out, pre-prerelease trailers are shown at ComicCon, on-set photos are leaked to websites, etc. Regardless of what you think about Jared Leto's actual performance in Suicide Squad, everyone had already made up their mind when the first tattooed picture came out last year. I think this kind of overpromotion is bad for the medium, period. It robs the audience of the ability to be suprised, shocked, or horrified -- releasing full page photos of Pennywise in Entertainment Weekly does nobody any favors.

p.s., Taylor Anne, whenever I need to debrief at work, I watch this video. It always works.

• Like 4

tomspanks... Have you seen "The Hunt"? That movie is a great drama! 10/10 for me

I like the Hunt.

On a side note: anyone know a place online that makes great custom t shirts.

p.s., Taylor Anne, whenever I need to debrief at work, I watch this video. It always works.

That made me smile a whole hell of a lot, thank you!

Re: Clowns - All of that was really well said! I also think it has a lot to do with John Wayne Gacy dressing up as a clown and murdering over 30 young boys 8 years before IT was published. Jason really wasn't making that shit up about murderous clowns. I had always thought that Stephen King was using that fear that was sparked within America afterwards as a starting point into the terrifying world of Pennywise. I really think you even got into what made Gacy able to murder so many people in real life.

• Like 2

That made me smile a whole hell of a lot, thank you!

Re: Clowns - All of that was really well said! I also think it has a lot to do with John Wayne Gacy dressing up as a clown and murdering over 30 young boys 8 years before IT was published.

Great point, I totally overlooked that. You are almost certainly correct.

Squarespace? Meundies? Naturebox? I can only navigate the online world through podcast sponsors.

Most online t-shirt places charge way too much and use poor quality shirts. I looked into this a couple of years ago and decided it made more sense to silkscreen my own stuff if I wanted a shirt. That said, Zazzle is a good site with a decent interface, and they let you choose from different fabrics, from cheap scratchy cotton to nice American Apperal tees.

• Like 3

Great point, I totally overlooked that. You are almost certainly correct.

Ultimately I think you have the underlying thing about all of it. Using the wolf in sheep's clothing tactic is probably what any of us would say Gacy was doing to lure his victims and then Stephen King adopted that same concept but just more based on an actual fear sweeping the country.

• Like 1

A few years ago, I did a survey of the big name custom shirt makers and I decided to go with Spreadshirt. They have different printing techniques depending on the design you're using (photographic vs. vector images) and a ton of products/fabrics/colors. You may need to tweak vector images to meet all of their criteria—e.g. minimum line thickness, separation between shapes, maximum of 3 colors—but the end result is super sharp and durable. I haven't tried their digital print (photographic) process because all of my design work is in Adobe Illustrator.

• Like 2

So, this week, we've seen the ends of both Larry Wilmore and Amy Schumer's shows on Comedy Central.

But... NEW METALLICA!

YAAAAAAY!!

So, this week, we've seen the ends of both Larry Wilmore and Amy Schumer's shows on Comedy Central.

But... NEW METALLICA!

YAAAAAAY!!

i wouldn't rule out amy coming back. she reckons they have slated a series 5 .. just no dates yet ... taking a break .. i hope she comes back. i like her show. especially the street chats, she's great at that

• Like 1

i wouldn't rule out amy coming back. she reckons they have slated a series 5 .. just no dates yet ... taking a break .. i hope she comes back. i like her show. especially the street chats, she's great at that

I think the Kurt Metzger thing has really thrown a spanner into the works, that whole thing became a shitstorm, and he was pretty much the lead writer. But I think it needs an extended break, Amy's been involved in some shitstorms of her own, and it's just going through some turbulence, and Comedy Central have the axe sharpened.

If it isn't outright cancelled, it'll probably take some time off for 18 months or so, and come back refreshed. If Open All Hours and Birds of a Feather can come back after nearly 20 years, Inside Amy Schumer can manage 2 or 3.

Personally, if Comedy Central are swinging the axe, and having a reshuffle, I hope they go back to basics, get more stand up going, blatantly rip off BBC's Live At The Apollo, and have a bigger name as the host, introduce a couple of other acts.

Like have one episode with Bill Burr as the host, and he brings on Dan Soder and Joe DeRosa. Kevin Hart has an episode with Keith Robinson and Rich Vos. It was a success on the BBC until they messed with the format, Comedy Central could have a gold mine with it, and with the US, the possibilities are endless.

5ed87a8b7c.jpg

And I fucking love Paul for fiercely and publicly declaring his support for a feminist satire website. And more than just support, he signal-boosted an article on sexual assault, which belongs to a series of articles on rape culture that Reductress has written in response to the controversy that has risen after UCB permanently banned improv comic Aaron Glaser amid multiple allegations of rape and sexual harrasement.

5ee4bb3ef5.jpg

Paul > Kurt Metzger.

• Like 3

Re: Clowns -- I believe Stephen King used a clown because that relies on a fundamental horror subversion; taking something intrinsically innocent or harmless and making it evil is an easy way to disarm your audience. It's a classic technique from old fairy tales, a literal wolf in sheep's clothing. The reason the It miniseries worked was of course because of Tim Curry's terrific work (some of the other performances have not aged as well).

Since then, the idea of coulrophobia (fear of clowns!) has permeated pop culture and become a trope itself. I'm not sure I find anything more horrifying than the prospect of being stranded at a Juggalo festival in rural Illinois. But it's important to remember that the clown wasn't the "natural" state of the Pennywise demon, and he appeared in several other forms throughout the novel. The new series (or is it a movie?) will probably fail if it relies solely on a scary clown to generate fear.

That said, the real problem here is the necessity in contemporary film and television for months and years of hype machinery. Characters are slowly teased out, pre-prerelease trailers are shown at ComicCon, on-set photos are leaked to websites, etc. Regardless of what you think about Jared Leto's actual performance in Suicide Squad, everyone had already made up their mind when the first tattooed picture came out last year. I think this kind of overpromotion is bad for the medium, period. It robs the audience of the ability to be suprised, shocked, or horrified -- releasing full page photos of Pennywise in Entertainment Weekly does nobody any favors.

Yeah that release wasn't a good idea, though how the actor plays him will be the defining mark of the new version. As for clowns being a trope, just google Gags the Clown and other various clown pranks where people dress up at night and scare the bejeesus out of people, by not doing anything but standing still. The show mentioned a documentary on Netflix that covered the "Clown in cars" fear that Jason had, called Killer Legends, where in it, the guy doing the doc if I remember right, dresses up as a clown and drives around a town in the day, and people were terrified.

As a side note here is a piece of art I picked up and hung at my desk to scare the crap out of my coworkers.pwise.jpg

And this one is just awesome.

TheClownsLastSupper.jpg

Are we talking where they make a shirt as you ask for it or where artists create shirts for you to buy? If it's the latter I'd recommend Ript Apparel, Shirt Punch, and Threadless.

• Like 2

Also I'm super duper angry about some shit with some coworkers so if anyone has some funny videos/memes/whatever that can distract me better than my actual work that would be great lol

panda_bear_hug.gif?bd03d3

• Like 3

I'm not scared of clowns, but when I have insomnia, I say "can't sleep, clown will eat me."

Nobody understands it though.

simpsons-clown-will-eat-me.jpg

• Like 3

I'm not scared of clowns, but when I have insomnia, I say "can't sleep, clown will eat me."

Nobody understands it though.

simpsons-clown-will-eat-me.jpg

Let's not forgot the Soft Room in South Park to help kids get ready for foster care.

south-park-season-15-14-the-poor-kid-kenny-soft-room-clowns.jpg

• Like 1

Guys I'm debating if I should pay $4.99 for "Gods of Egypt". Is it the kind of thing that I NEED to see? I'm so torn! Usually the movies are cheaper.

clown paintings

Ryan, I don't know if you knew but that first painting is a riff on a pretty famous piece by American painter Andrew Wyeth, called "Christina's World".

300px-Christinasworld.jpg

It's actually a favorite of mine, though I've never seen it at MoMA. It creeps me out, it reminds me of a PG-13 horror film called Paper House that gave me nightmares as a kid.

Guys I'm debating if I should pay $4.99 for "Gods of Egypt". Is it the kind of thing that I NEED to see? I'm so torn! Usually the movies are cheaper.

I mean, $5 to me is a drink plus tip, so not too much of a big deal. I thought Gods of Egypt was beyond dumb but fairly entertaining.

• Like 2