๐Ÿ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ร—
JulyDiaz

Episode 162 - My Stepmother Is An Alien: LIVE!

For me, it's hands down...

ย 

waterworld.18838.jpg

ย 

It was widely hated on release but spawned a still-running attraction at Universal Studios. I just have always thought that the idea of exploring what would happen if the ice-caps melted was so badass. The world creation is really fantastic, and I think it ages pretty well.

ย 

I also don't hate the first hour of The Postman, but the rest is grim.

• Like 5

ย 

waterworld.18838.jpg

ย 

It was widely hated on release but spawned a still-running attraction at Universal Studios. I just have always thought that the idea of exploring what would happen if the ice-caps melted was so badass. The world creation is really fantastic, and I think it ages pretty well.

ย 

I also don't hate the first hour of The Postman, but the rest is grim.

ย 

It's been awhile since I watched it, but yeah, Waterworld isn't that bad. And even though I prefer Tombstone, I don't hate Costner's Wyatt Earp.

• Like 3

Mine is another Taylor Kitsch movie, Battleship. While it did ok overseas, it flopped at home ($209 mil budget, $65 mil domestic). I know it's not great, but I don't think it's as bad as the 34% rating on rottentomatoes.

• Like 4

Mine is another Taylor Kitsch movie, Battleship. While it did ok overseas, it flopped at home ($209 mil budget, $65 mil domestic). I know it's not great, but I don't think it's as bad as the 34% rating on rottentomatoes.

ย 

I feel so bad for Kitsch. He was even a pretty decent Gambit. Certainly one of the better things about the first Wolverine movie.

• Like 4

So I was just reading up on this whole King Arthur clusterfuck going on right now, and it got me curious. Just because a movie flops doesn't necessarily mean that it's "bad." So to the group, are there any big, box office flops that you actually enjoy?

ย 

Granted, I'm not saying it's the best movie in the world, but I've seen it twice and enjoyed it both times. Also, I'm not sure if would be considered a "flop" necessarily (certainly a disappointment) but I really like Cowboys and Aliens and I have unironically watched it many times.

ย 

What about everyone else?

First, I checked a Wikipedia article on box office bombs to refresh me on my options and Cowboys and Aliens is on that list. Also I two have seen John Carter twice and enjoyed it.

ย 

Again like John Carter there are some movies that aren't masterpieces but they are enjoyable. Granted I haven't seen my choice in 15 years but I remember really digging:

ย 

titan_ae.jpg

• Like 5

Granted, I'm not saying it's the best movie in the world, but I've seen it twice and enjoyed it both times. Also, I'm not sure if would be considered a "flop" necessarily (certainly a disappointment) but I really like Cowboys and Aliens and I have unironically watched it many times.

ย 

Baron Munchausen is my pick.

ย 

I've never seen John Carter, but I love Chabon as a writer. There's a lot of process between script and screen, though.

• Like 7

ย 

First, I checked a Wikipedia article on box office bombs to refresh me on my options and Cowboys and Aliens is on that list. Also I two have seen John Carter twice and enjoyed it.

ย 

Again like John Carter there are some movies that aren't masterpieces but they are enjoyable. Granted I haven't seen my choice in 15 years but I remember really digging:

ย 

titan_ae.jpg

ย 

I own Titan A.E. :)

• Like 4

ย 

Your image isn't working for me.

ย 

I agree about Cowboys and Aliens, though. I think it's a largely underrated gem (note: I have only seen it the one time in the theater, but I had a great time).

ย 

There are some obvious box office flops that went on to greatness (e.g., The Wizard of Oz, which barely made back its budget, or Blade Runner, which fell a bit short of that).

ย 

But most of my favorite movies from the last year or so have been "flops":

ย 

Green Room - budget: $5M; BO: $3.8M

Midnight Special - budget: $18M; BO: $6.2M

The Nice Guys - budget: $50M; BO: $57.3M

Colossal - budget: $15M; BO: $3.2M

ย 

(I just realized how pretentious and indie my list is, but IT'S A GODDAMN CRIME THESE MOVIES WEREN'T MORE WIDELY SEEN)

• Like 6

Baron Munchausen is my pick.

ย 

Do you know I never even thought of that as being a flop? Good pick!

• Like 2

ย 

waterworld.18838.jpg

ย 

So, I've never seen Waterworld, but is Kevin Costner wearing an armband watch? Why?

• Like 5

ย 

Your image isn't working for me.

ย 

I agree about Cowboys and Aliens, though. I think it's a largely underrated gem (note: I have only seen it the one time in the theater, but I had a great time).

ย 

There are some obvious box office flops that went on to greatness (e.g., The Wizard of Oz, which barely made back its budget, or Blade Runner, which fell a bit short of that).

ย 

But most of my favorite movies from the last year or so have been "flops":

ย 

Green Room - budget: $5M; BO: $3.8M

Midnight Special - budget: $18M; BO: $6.2M

The Nice Guys - budget: $50M; BO: $57.3M

Colossal - budget: $15M; BO: $3.2M

ย 

(I just realized how pretentious and indie my list is, but IT'S A GODDAMN CRIME THESE MOVIES WEREN'T MORE WIDELY SEEN)

ย 

That image is being weird. I've had to put three different ones up there. I assume Disney is to blame. The movie was John Carter.

• Like 5

ย 

So, I've never seen Waterworld, but is Kevin Costner wearing an armband watch? Why?

ย 

Guess you'll have to watch it to find out

• Like 5

So I was just reading up on this whole King Arthur clusterfuck going on right now, and it got me curious. Just because a movie flops doesn't necessarily mean that it's "bad." So to the group, are there any big, box office flops that you actually enjoy?

ย 

ย 

speed_racer-995600110-large.jpg

ย 

Saw it twice in the theater... The only 2 things that bugged me was that some content may not be appropriate for (my yet to be born) little children (Bird flipping, Monkey Poop Tossing), and the ending resolve was rushed in a newspaper headline... But other than that I liked it a lot

ย 

I own Titan A.E. :)

ย 

I own the Soundtrack on C.D.

• Like 5

ย 

speed_racer-995600110-large.jpg

ย 

Saw it twice in the theater... The only 2 things that bugged me was that some content may not be appropriate for (my yet to be born) little children (Bird flipping, Monkey Poop Tossing), and the ending resolve was rushed in a newspaper headline... But other than that I liked it a lot

ย 

That movie was so far ahead of its time. I rewatched it a year ago or so, and it's one of those situations where it's like, "Oh, remember that time a decade ago that the Wachowskis were doing stuff everyone does today?"

• Like 2

ย 

I own the Soundtrack on C.D.

ย 

"Cosmic Castaway" ftw!

ย 

• Like 2

"Cosmic Castaway" ftw!

ย 

Yessss!!!

ย 

100% Real Talk that C.D. is one good song after another... When I get home I'm going to listen to it

ย 

P.S.: Titan A.E. was from Don Bluth also and in the end credits they say there will be a videogame that never came out... I wanted to create planet Bob :(

ย 

I have to watch the Titan A.E. again as well... My Don Buth favourite movie of all time is "The Land Before Time" and Then "Fievel Goes West" but... This 2nd spot could change next week when we discuss An American Tail and when I rewatch Titan A.E.

ย 

Stay Tuned...

• Like 3

ย 

A more recent one for me was:

220px-Popstar_Lonely_Island.jpg

Budget: $20mil BO: $9.5mil

ย 

I saw it in the theater & really enjoyed it.

I feel like maybe it was not marketed well?

Cause I didn't hear about it at all, I only saw in theaters because my sister & her boyfriend are huge Lonely Island fans and brought me with to see it.

Or maybe I didn't hear about it since I only watch stuff on Hulu/Netflix/Amazon, etc so I miss a lot of ads?

ย 

Plus, Scheer makes an appearance in it.

• Like 6

ย 

Cause I didn't hear about it at all, I only saw in theaters because my sister & her boyfriend are huge Lonely Island fans and brought me with to see it.

Or maybe I didn't hear about it since I only watch stuff on Hulu/Netflix/Amazon, etc so I miss a lot of ads?

ย 

Omg yessssss! I couldn't believe I didn't make more of an effort to see it in theaters when it came out cause I was rolling the whole time I watched it! As a Lonely Island fan I am disappointed in myself!

• Like 6

ย 

ย 

ย 

It was really funny!

• Like 2

ย 

ย 

YES! I loved this movie! I got to see it at an early screening that was followed by a Live Q&A with Andy, Jorma, and Akiva. (My friend was briefly dating a local morning show dude here in town and even got to go to the studio and meet them when they appeared on the show. I was totally not jealous or anything...)

ย 

The marketing was ubiquitous on YouTube, and Andy appeared on whichever singing show it is that the Maroon 5 dude is on. But otherwise, there was almost nothing for it. The studio is totally at fault for the box office performance.

ย 

Story time: I was rewatching it right after I moved into my new place. My AC broke in my apartment, which is unacceptable in Texas at any time. So the maintenance guy came to fix it right as they were starting the Bin Laden song. He came into the apartment and there was a lull in our conversation right as the line "gotta terrorize that pussy" came on.

ย 

I was mortified.

• Like 6

Do you think that maybe Popstar didn't do as well as they'd hoped because they potentially alienated the teen market by making fun of Bieber? I don't think many Beliebers thought the promo stuff was very funny.

ย 

I really liked the movie, too.

ย 

In case you're curious: the spell-checker on the Earwolf forums does not recognise the following words: Popstar; Earwolf.

It DOES recognise the following words: Bieber; Beliebers.

• Like 6

Re: Popstar

ย 

I like The Lonely Island, but none of the trailers did anything for me. It looked like the type of thing that would be funny for a little while, but would wear out its welcome pretty quickly.

ย 

However, I'm not really a Comedy movie fan for this same reason. Typically, I get more enjoyment from laughing at/with an earnest movie than a straight up Comedy.

• Like 2

Do you think that maybe Popstar didn't do as well as they'd hoped because they potentially alienated the teen market by making fun of Bieber? I don't think many Beliebers thought the promo stuff was very funny.

Could be.. feel like they could be less able to laugh at themselves?

But It wasn't just making fun of Bieber & Beliebers though. So maybe it came across that way in the ads / title of the movie?

ย 

The marketing was ubiquitous on YouTube, and Andy appeared on whichever singing show it is that the Maroon 5 dude is on. But otherwise, there was almost nothing for it. The studio is totally at fault for the box office performance.

Ahhh that's probably why. I do think they're at fault and it should have been promoted more. Feel like it could have and should have done better :/

He came into the apartment and there was a lull in our conversation right as the line "gotta terrorize that pussy" came on.

ย 

I was mortified.

ย 

LOL

• Like 2

Re: Popstar

ย 

I like The Lonely Island, but none of the trailers did anything for me. It looked like the type of thing that would be funny for a little while, but would wear out its welcome pretty quickly.

ย 

However, I'm not really a Comedy movie fan for this same reason. Typically, I get more enjoyment from laughing at/with an earnest movie than a straight up Comedy.

I used to really enjoy comedy movies, but feel like in the last few years the comedy movies coming out don't do it for me at all.

I don't know if my sense of humor has changed as I got older, or that comedy movies are geared more to a younger audience? Or if they really have been crappier lately?

ย 

It's been rare in the last few years where I really liked a straight comedy movie, and this one was an exception for me. So I really did want it to do better.

• Like 5

ย 

They did the Bin Laden song as a Digital Short on SNL too, with Andy and Vanessa Bayer, but without the context of the movie, it just came across as kind of gross. It was better in the movie.

ย 

• Like 5