🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Off-Week 14 (EvRobert's Pick)

I think I prefer Oasis to Blur but Damon to any Oasis member... so I guess my choice is Gorillaz!

+1 on the Dan Van Kirk option. Actually got to meet him after a DLM and he's so damn nice!

• Like 7

I think I prefer Oasis to Blur but Damon to any Oasis member... so I guess my choice is Gorillaz!

+1 on the Dan Van Kirk option. Actually got to meet him after a DLM and he's so damn nice!

Love Gorillaz!

That's good to hear. Was he himself or still in Mark mode? Did you make a sign if so what was it? Who was your shithead?

• Like 4

Since we're asking rhetorical questions about nineties pop stars: which Wahlberg would you least like to be stuck in an elevator with?

I wouldn't want to be stuck with this Wahlberg. Rambling about ghosts, trying to shoot himself AND standing in his underwear? Creepy!

sixthsense-018.jpg

• Like 5

Love Gorillaz!

That's good to hear. Was he himself or still in Mark mode? Did you make a sign if so what was it? Who was your shithead?

Lol! He was himself after the show (almost didn't even recognize him without the wig). I did make a sign that says "Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy" and if you listen to the last Dallas show Doug calls me out and asks if my name is one of the other choices. My shit head was.... I think Ted Cruz. The time before that I fainted while waiting in line cause it was August in Texas lol and I wrote "Fainting while waiting for DLM is a SHITHEAD" lmao. I still have yet to be chosen so I'm not retiring my name tag until that happens. I've had a plethora of guests sign it so it's gonna be covered in autographs by the time this happens lol.

• Like 5

Lol! He was himself after the show (almost didn't even recognize him without the wig). I did make a sign that says "Tinker Taylor Soldier Spy" and if you listen to the last Dallas show Doug calls me out and asks if my name is one of the other choices. My shit head was.... I think Ted Cruz. The time before that I fainted while waiting in line cause it was August in Texas lol and I wrote "Fainting while waiting for DLM is a SHITHEAD" lmao. I still have yet to be chosen so I'm not retiring my name tag until that happens. I've had a plethora of guests sign it so it's gonna be covered in autographs by the time this happens lol.

I do remember that one! It didn't even click in my mind that would have been you.

I think you have to give Dan Van Kirk a lot of credit. He's never breaks character and still rocks the games. It must be hard to do both so well.

• Like 7

I do remember that one! It didn't even click in my mind that would have been you.

I think you have to give Dan Van Kirk a lot of credit. He's never breaks character and still rocks the games. It must be hard to do both so well.

Literally never breaks character! From start to finish he IS Marky Mark and it's incredible to see live!

• Like 5

Girl, You Know It's True...

Shit, that's Milli Vanilli

I bought this song and "Blame it on the Rain" yesterday. The fact that people for one second bought that these two guys were actually the people singing these song speaks less of the people who believed it than it does Rob (RIP) and Fab.

People are fucking dumb...but these songs are pretty great.

• Like 6

I bought this song and "Blame it on the Rain" yesterday. The fact that people for one second bought that these two guys were actually the people singing these song speaks less of the people who believed it than it does Rob (RIP) and Fab.

People are fucking dumb...but these songs are pretty great.

I remember when these guys just vanished from the radio in 1990 after the scandal hit, and then two years later a radio station started playing their songs as a joke. And while I hated MV when they came out (being a 12 year old boy I hated all things that the girls in my class loved - especially NKOTB), I found myself grooving along to them when I heard them years later. Blame it on the Rain is a classic. Too bad the "Real Milli Vanilli" band were such a bust.

• Like 2

Say "Hi" to your mother for me.

I spent much of high school listening to Korn (Uuuuugh), NIN, and Rob Zombie, so I think you can all surmise where my opinion on Spice Girls and the various boy bands are. HOWEVER, when I first saw the BSB video for "Everybody," I just kind of thought, "soooo... pop music is embracing horror movies now? Cool I guess." So I always had sort of a soft spot for them.

Scary stuff, guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6M6samPEMpM

I also thought, being a 14-year-old dumb-dumb, they were yet another band I hadn't heard of and that I was supposed to like them because of the frequent references to how they were "back," even though they were brand new. I WAS A DISAFFECTED YOUTH IS WHAT I AM SAYING. *puts on black t-shirt and listens to The Downward Spiral*

Oh, at the time I wasn't into NSync or BSB. These are all things I've acquired a taste for after the fact. Which actually raises an interesting question: What, if any, are the pop culture things that you used to hate as a kid, but have grown to enjoy as you've gotten older?

• Like 4

Oh, at the time I wasn't into NSync or BSB. These are all things I've acquired a taste for after the fact. Which actually raises an interesting question: What, if any, are the pop culture things that you used to hate as a kid, but have grown to enjoy as you've gotten older?

I used to hate Journey ( I know )...but it was because there was a long period where that's ALL my mom would listen to (in the house, driving, etc) when my siblings and I were kids. So much so that we would get annoyed.

And I did like all the music my parents listened to (still do). It was just Journey..she killed them for me back then..So when I was a kid- early teen and she'd put them on I'd groan.

Love / appreciate them now though.

• Like 4

I'm having a hard time thinking of examples. The kid me must have had flawless taste in pop culture.

• Like 5

This doesn't really answer your question but I pretended I hated all things animation and anime (basically anything not Disney related) from 10-18. It just was verrrryyyyy uncool to be into Pokemon past 1999 so even though I was still playing it and watching the show after school I would act like I hated that and all of the other amazing shows that I had discovered during that time. Part of me regrets this and then again I know how much I was already picked on so I'm kinda glad I didn't add fuel to the fire lmao.

• Like 3

I used to hate Journey ( I know )...but it was because there was a long period where that's ALL my mom would listen to (in the house, driving, etc) when my siblings and I were kids. So much so that we would get annoyed.

And I did like all the music my parents listened to (still do). It was just Journey..she killed them for me back then..So when I was a kid- early teen and she'd put them on I'd groan.

Love / appreciate them now though.

My dad was like this with the Beatles and my mom's entire family is like that with Springsteen. Couldn't stand either of them as a kid.

This isn't so much hate but I missed a lot of 90s tv shows because my parents were anti-tv. In college they played Saved by the Bell and Wonder Years type shows on some late night rerun channels so I grew fond of them then.

• Like 4

This doesn't really answer your question but I pretended I hated all things animation and anime (basically anything not Disney related) from 10-18. It just was verrrryyyyy uncool to be into Pokemon past 1999 so even though I was still playing it and watching the show after school I would act like I hated that and all of the other amazing shows that I had discovered during that time. Part of me regrets this and then again I know how much I was already picked on so I'm kinda glad I didn't add fuel to the fire lmao.

No, I get that. I have a theory that as children all of OUR interests are already firmly entrenched, and most existential crises are the result of suppressing these desires in an attempt to conform. For example, when I was 9 or 10 my older sister and I were sitting around and she asked me who my favorite bands were. Innocently, I listed a few Oldies type groups and (I distinctly remember) The Beach Boys. My sister then told me I shouldn't tell anyone because they would consider me a nerd. Same thing with comic books. I clearly remember being 12 or 13 in an airport desperately wanting to get an X-Men comic off the news rack, but being afraid that the people (I don't know, the businessmen?!?) would judge me reading comics. Also, that no girls would go out with me if anyone ever found out.

As it turns out, funnily enough, is that I was no cooler for surpressing these desires, but I might have been a lot happier - personally - had I just followed my bliss from the start.

Flash forward to the present, in college I started listening to all my "old" bands again and picked up reading comics when I dropped smoking cigarettes.

I think socialization - via schooling and through the various media we ingest (whether through cultural osmosis or not) - is an impediment to individual self-actualization. It is the people who discover who they are and what they want early - and who pursue their interests with dogged determination despite any stigmatization they might face - who are capable of finding true contentment in this life.

• Like 6

SaraK and kateacola's experiences are really interesting to me, because the reason I love some music now is due to my mother playing them when I was young. One memory I have is being surprised that my group of friends in 5th grade didn't know who Joni Mitchell was. Now I'm thinking I should've tried chatting with my teacher instead.

• Like 5

SaraK and kateacola's experiences are really interesting to me, because the reason I love some music now is due to my mother playing them when I was young. One memory I have is being surprised that my group of friends in 5th grade didn't know who Joni Mitchell was. Now I'm thinking I should've tried chatting with my teacher instead.

Idk I am still the same way. Most things my parents watched and listened to when I was a kid I loved...and still do love.

I was always into everything my parents liked music wise and why my music taste is so all over the place.

Same with TV shows and movies. Like The Simpsons. and even though I was born in the 90s I've watched/love a lot of movies in the 70s and 80s that my parents watched as kids/teens, cause they had us watch them.

And I have always been super into crime shows/ documentaries and it was because I'd watch shows like Law and Order, Homicide, Forensic Files, Cold Case files, etc.. with my mom almost every night before I'd go to bed.

I'm not sure what exactly it was with Journey though, only was Journey specifically that annoyed us.

Maybe because she over did it? Kind of like how some pop songs get overplayed and start to get annoying. Too much of Steve Perry's voice? lol, I'm not sure

• Like 4

I think it was the frequency those specific bands played. Because I did learn a lot of other bands that I still really like from them like Queen or Sinatra. I think it was just my parent's palette cleanser when we played too much 'kid' music, so it probably came up after I heard something I really liked and got mad.

• Like 5

I was about 10 when Power Rangers started and I really enjoyed it but at school that was a show for younger kids and I wasn't suppose to like it. I would still watch it on Saturday mornings and pretend that I hated the show or didn't know anything about it to seem cool. I was determined to just like what I liked in private. However when I did turn into a teenager pokemon started and I did listen to everyone at the time and refused to play it or watch it because it was for kids even though it seemed to be something I'd like. It wouldn't be until years later that I actually tried the game and enjoyed it, but now I feel left out when people around my age talk about loving it as a kid. Harry Potter is another one at first I dragged my feet on but came around in a big way on. Ravenclaw represent!

Oddly I missed out on a lot of music culture not because I hated it but because my parents did. They weren't really into music in the 80s so they only listened to classic rock and things like that, and as a result that's all I listened to. So certain songs that I would have been alive for their heyday they were just lost to me and had to be discovered later in life. Most of my 80s/early 90s music comes from my older sister who unlike me couldn't stand my parents taste in music.

• Like 4

Out of curiosity does anybody recall Paul, June or Jason every saying what house they were in?

• Like 1

My parents listened to a variety of music. Like we might listen to the Beach Boys and then old country and then (at the time) contemporary country and then contemporary pop. The one consistency in my life via the radio in my parents house was Kansas City Royals baseball, which I fell in love with and still love.

Maybe it was because there was such a variety of music that I didn't care about finding a band to revolt against. My tastes CHANGED, I listened to a lot of heavy metal and punk back in the early 90s-early 2000s (my teens and twenties) but I can't think of anything I grew up on that I didn't really love.

• Like 5

Out of curiosity does anybody recall Paul, June or Jason every saying what house they were in?

Paul is Slytherin and his patronus is ocicat.

• Like 5

Harry Potter is another one at first I dragged my feet on but came around in a big way on. Ravenclaw represent!

Oh yeah I actually refused to read Harry Potter because my step mom is the one that handed it to me and I hate her :)

No regrets on waiting to have my best friend tell me to read it 5 years later lol.

• Like 4

I was late to the Harry Potter party as well, but I remember watching Chamber of Secrets with my brothers on television. It is a movie that features a giant talking snake whisper dark things about smelling blood while trying to murder children. I thought, "this is a franchise for me!" I have been hooked, for more profound reason than that, ever since. Read all the books, own all he movies, am a sucker for Potter-themed clothing. I am a Nerd Caricature.

• Like 5