🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 171 - Miami Connection: LIVE!

5TMrvBR.jpg

Pro tip: If you are a drug dealing ninja and you are dealing drugs in a club with a martial arts proficient band that sing about stopping the ninjas, maybe don't employ henchmen with shirts that reads "ninja" with a picture of a ninja on them.

• Like 7

This was a movie that would have greatly benefitted from an on-set dentist.

Had a great time with this movie and episode. I'm confused though, were all the Ninjas the rednecks that Yashito was jamming with at that huge barbeque? Because I was really bummed to not see alot more beer bellies underneath those ninja outfits

• Like 1

1) Why did they take Oates' shirt off when they kidnapped him?

That man is clearly so amazing that his body rejects any attempt to cover it more than is legally necessary. I don't know if we should be grateful or disappointed that his pants stayed on.

On the topic of bad brother guy's hair (which the panel described with pure poetry), it may be worth noting that hairier men have more testosterone. Maybe that is why he feels the need to constantly challenge and fight everyone. He's a feisty little guy, like an unneutered chihuahua.

• Like 2

Okay, I know English isn't YK Kim's first language, so it's not fair to complain about his mispronouncing words....

But did NOBODY on the set ever go, "Hey, man, I know English spelling and pronunciation can be reaaaaallllyyyy confusing sometimes. But the word isn't pronounced 'orp-han.'"

I don't blame Kim for this. It's literally everyone else on the set that let him keep saying it like that that's just a real asshole.

• Like 4

Great ep and movie... I want to suggest this quick glimpse of a man with a sign during the beach scene for the omission portion of the next mini-ep...

post-19567-0-39898800-1505541606.jpg

The sign reads...

"NUDIST CHRISTIAN CHURCH:

THE HUMBLE ROAD TO HEA-VEN.

GOD IS NAKED ALSO!

VOTE FOR NUDE BEACHES. PARKS.

REPENT IN THE RAW"

So... Were the topless flashers and that one mooner in the biker bar scene repenting then?

post-19567-0-39898800-1505541606_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

I have a follow up to this. We see that the stupid cocaine is smuggled in ramen boxes, with a few ramen packages thrown on top. Later, during the ninja raid, when the ninjas steal the boxes of the stupid cocaine:

mKPrxQL.png?1

They leave the extra ramen packages behind! I feel like they should've spent the extra 2 seconds and taken the free bags of ramen. They're delicious, man.

Also, I loved the beginning when the drug den scene opens with owl hooting noises. Are there many owls in Miami?

Now I'm just noticing the dual hats. Imagine if this was a real drug deal.

- Would the guy in the back feel proud that he's wearing the same style of hat as his boss?

- Would the rest of the gang resent this kiss-ass henchman for sucking up to the boss?

- Would the boss be embarrassed or even angry that his unique look is being copied by his underlings?

Q5bLxY9.png

• Like 3

Now I'm just noticing the dual hats. Imagine if this was a real drug deal.

- Would the guy in the back feel proud that he's wearing the same style of hat as his boss?

- Would the rest of the gang resent this kiss-ass henchman for sucking up to the boss?

- Would the boss be embarrassed or even angry that his unique look is being copied by his underlings?

Q5bLxY9.png

Maybe the boss requires his second in command to dress like him. Sort of like Saddam Hussein did to help prevent assassination.

• Like 4

WOW WHAT IS THIS MOVIE .....and no way that black guy's mom is Korean. Not buying it.

• Like 1

Another fantastic bit was right after Hairy Jeff decks Giant Michael Phelps for dating his sister. Seeing their precious bassist being assaulted, Dragon Sound leaps to the rescue, when this happens:

Hairy J: When I tell you to leave her alone, leave her alone.

Mark: Whatever you say.

I mean, apart from the fact that Mark is kind of inserting himself into a situation that has nothing to do with him, I just love how quickly they all roll over for fucking Jeff. They obviously don't give a fuck what happens to Jane as long as John's gangly ass is still in a condition provide that sweet bottom for Dragon Sound.

• Like 2

A theory on the "Miami" in Miami Connection, which was originally titled Against The Ninja. When the Bruce Lee film Fist of Fury was released in the US, it's title was changed to The Chinese Connection to capitalize on the popularity of The French Connection (note: they meant to give the name to The Big Boss, but messed up...so that was retitled Fists of Fury, just so everything was nice and confusing. Of further note, it's about a drug smuggling ring and everyone does martial arts). Anyway, I think the title Miami Connection is supposed to draw comparisons to those films, but more specifically, to invoke Bruce Lee himself. Miami Vice could be a contributing factor in Miami over Orlando, but that could be as simple as Orlando Connection not packing the same punch.

21751462_10209440922691075_8252715386460562480_n.jpg?oh=488cab92bdb4818bd6cecedb06026d0e&oe=5A1390A1

• Like 10

"Sound Dragon" lol

Look. They got them mixed up with that other band that does Tae Kwon Do while singing Chris Cornell covers.

• Like 5

Great ep and movie... I want to suggest this quick glimpse of a man with a sign during the beach scene for the omission portion of the next mini-ep...

post-19567-0-39898800-1505541606.jpg

The sign reads...

"NUDIST CHRISTIAN CHURCH:

THE HUMBLE ROAD TO HEA-VEN.

GOD IS NAKED ALSO!

VOTE FOR NUDE BEACHES. PARKS.

REPENT IN THE RAW"

So... Were the topless flashers and that one mooner in the biker bar scene repenting then?

Ha! I saw this but didn't register what the sign was saying.

But wait ... he's advertising a nudist church while wearing more clothes than anyone should at the beach.

[sigh] ...just another holyman not practicing what he preaches.

• Like 7

I can't fault Y.K. Kim for inserting this film trope into his masterpiece, but can we demand that Hollywood no longer have cops or henchman test a bag of cocaine in the dead center with a knife?

u6ncOcG.jpg

I get what they are trying to communicate; they need to test if the product is pure... but does the buyer not have any concern that this bag will leak in transit? Just think of all that wasted nose candy!

In the end, I would totally respect the tester to simply cut the corner of the bag and then break out one of those potato chip clips to seal it up. Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezey

Man... this is one of the things that I love about this movie. This scene is so charmingly boilerplate. What does a cocaine deal look like? The docks at night (Check!) coke in large clear plastic bags (Check!) testing the product with a knife (Check!) white panama hats (Check!)

And for that matter - do they really have to test the cocaine? Is that a real thing if you're doing drugs deals?

Forgive me if this has been said... Michael Scott's Threat Level Midnight on The Office had to take inspiration from Miami Connection (at least I hope). Michael used his movie trope knowledge to make a movie with bizarre cliche after cliche and had his friends (coworkers) star in it. It's terrible, but it is so endearing that everyone loves it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EANilnIGlao

• Like 5

A theory on the "Miami" in Miami Connection, which was originally titled Against The Ninja. When the Bruce Lee film Fist of Fury was released in the US, it's title was changed to The Chinese Connection to capitalize on the popularity of The French Connection (note: they meant to give the name to The Big Boss, but messed up...so that was retitled Fists of Fury, just so everything was nice and confusing. Of further note, it's about a drug smuggling ring and everyone does martial arts). Anyway, I think the title Miami Connection is supposed to draw comparisons to those films, but more specifically, to invoke Bruce Lee himself. Miami Vice could be a contributing factor in Miami over Orlando, but that could be as simple as Orlando Connection not packing the same punch.

21751462_10209440922691075_8252715386460562480_n.jpg?oh=488cab92bdb4818bd6cecedb06026d0e&oe=5A1390A1

Great Post!

Yes... Miami is way sexier than Orlando in pretty much every possible way. Miami is bikinis, tans, Cuban food, beaches, neon, and the spicy nightlife. Orlando is theme parks, chain restaurants, worn out children, and sunburns.

No offense to the folks of Orlando... I'm sure there is some sexiness happening there, too.

• Like 7

Yes... Miami is way sexier than Orlando in pretty much every possible way. Miami is bikinis, tans, Cuban food, beaches, neon, and the spicy nightlife. Orlando is theme parks, chain restaurants, worn out children, and sunburns.

No offense to the folks of Orlando... I'm sure there is some sexiness happening there, too.

Oh yeah ... remember Pleasure Island, the old night club for adults that they had somewhere outside of Epcot, back in the day?

Also, all the Dwarf actors are naked under their costumes, but that's less about sexiness and more about avoiding heat stroke. But still ... sexy.

• Like 5

Also, all the Dwarf actors are naked under their costumes, but that's less about sexiness and more about avoiding heat stroke. But still ... sexy.

I mean... aren't we all naked under our "costumes", man?

1w0vq3.jpg

• Like 5

But seriously... the Seven Dwarfs are naked under there?

disney-world-walt-disney-world-34423074-500-375.jpg

• Like 2

But seriously... the Seven Dwarfs are naked under there?

God, wouldn't you be? I can't imagine how hot those full-body plushie suits must be.

• Like 3

You can download 2 free Dragon Sound songs from the Alamo Drafthouse website. You have to give them your email address though.

• Like 3

At the beginning of Jane's computer programming class, the instructor congratulates the class on finishing third in the international computer programming contest. This is a real thing! The ICPC has existed since at least the seventies (the actual UCF finished in 15th in last year's contest).

Anyways, finishing third at ICPC is a pretty impressive achievement for a class that still needs the directions for starting up BASIC from the MS-DOS shell written on the chalkboard.

Gk65Ib.png

Also, BASIC? Really?

• Like 3

Forgive me if this was mentioned in the episode. I can't tell if I've just been thinking about it or if it was mentioned. Dragon Sound loves their car. I mean who wouldn't. We all know in Orlando in the 80s the height of cool was owning a convertible with leather interior. I mean that's a total chick magnet. What I don't get though is if you own a convertible with leather interior, why you wouldn't be more mindful of the weather? In several scenes throughout the movie the ground is soaked. Clearly it'd been raining yet they always just hop into the car without a car for the soggy interior or damage that would have been done to the leather. Then later in the movie when Only Oats is kidnapped it is clearly raining and the car is abandoned top down in the rain. If you want to maintain your chick magnet car leaving the top down all the time in a particular rainy period in Orlando is just foolish. Also with all their time at the beach the saltwater can't be good for the car or the leather interior either.

• Like 2

They DID have Shaquille O'Neal for a while.

MM7vHFK.gif

• Like 7