🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
Cameron H.

Musical Mondays Week 10 High School Musical 1 & 2...maybe 3

I think 2 is worth a watch (I enjoyed slightly more than the first, even though it's more ridiculous--but that's what I liked).

3 I'd say no.

• Like 4

I think 2 is worth a watch (I enjoyed slightly more than the first, even though it's more ridiculous--but that's what I liked).

3 I'd say no.

Don't get me wrong, I laughed--a lot. I just don't want anyone to feel like they have to watch 2 and 3.

• Like 4

Don't get me wrong, I laughed--a lot. I just don't want anyone to feel like they have to watch 2 and 3.

So what you're saying, Cam, is that we should

Stick to the '1', y'know?

• Like 5

This thread is 180 posts short of the longest-ever HDTGM thread (560 posts, 'You Can't Stop the Music', but most of that thread is OT). Have we really run out of things to say about these movies? Can we break the record?

• Like 4

This thread is 180 posts short of the longest-ever HDTGM thread (560 posts, 'You Can't Stop the Music', but most of that thread is OT). Have we really run out of things to say about these movies? Can we break the record?

I've got quite a bit left to say about 2. Now that I think about it, I probably have more to say about 1, as well...

Like this moment, when things went from "innocent fun" to "fucking weird."

giphy.gif

• Like 5

In one month from yesterday we get to see Zac's abs and guns in Baywatch.

• Like 4

So not only do you want the longest thread but also the most on topic one as well? I can't help much today because notes are at home and I didn't see the sequels yet, but if we do go OT no doubt we will surpass it.

• Like 4

I've got quite a bit left to say about 2. Now that I think about it, I probably have more to say about 1, as well...

Like this moment, when things went from "innocent fun" to "fucking weird."

giphy.gif

Oh! I love that bit! I was looking for that gif earlier.

• Like 4

I'm still catching up on this thread (which means there's NO WAY I'd be able to be on letterboxd) but has no one commented on the name Sharpay? I get that it's supposed to be a pretentious, frou-frou name but she looks nothing like a Shar Pei dog. Are they saying she's supposed to be a dog (ugly)? Was there a different name they could have selected? I might not be saying it right so I'll ask if there was a specific connotation they were going for with that name?

• Like 6

I'm still catching up on this thread (which means there's NO WAY I'd be able to be on letterboxd) but has no one commented on the name Sharpay? I get that it's supposed to be a pretentious, frou-frou name but she looks nothing like a Shar Pei dog. Are they saying she's supposed to be a dog (ugly)? Was there a different name they could have selected? I might not be saying it right so I'll ask if there was a specific connotation they were going for with that name?

My guess is that it's a word that sounds fancy, but isn't necessarily flattering. It's a way of showing how superficial she is. Why Ryan doesn't have an equally insane name, I guess we'll never know...

• Like 6

43.jpg

Lol this is when they're in the locker room in the beginning of HSM 3 right?

At that scene I thought at first they lost the game. But no, they had a whole quarter left (or half? Idk basketball that well).

Their faces and the way they were acting, it seemed like it was all over.

When I realized they did have another quarter I was like...calm down dudes. They weren't too terribly behind where it was impossible to catch up.

And while they're sing-playing the last bit of the game, I was laughing when Gabriella popped up to give him some final inspiration

(at the 2 min mark)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbK6w14OxAI&list=RDtbK6w14OxAI#t=106

• Like 5

Whoa! Guys, I just came across this.

Sharpay%27s_Fabulous_Adventure_%28Soundtrack%29.png

Now granted I haven't seen the later movies but does she redeem herself that much to be the breakout star? Or was it the case that she was the only actress still under contract with Disney?

• Like 5

Whoa! Guys, I just came across this.

Sharpay%27s_Fabulous_Adventure_%28Soundtrack%29.png

Now granted I haven't seen the later movies but does she redeem herself that much to be the breakout star? Or was it the case that she was the only actress still under contract with Disney?

I have that movie, all queued up, to show my daughter this weekend. I'll report back...

• Like 4

My guess is that it's a word that sounds fancy, but isn't necessarily flattering. It's a way of showing how superficial she is. Why Ryan doesn't have an equally insane name, I guess we'll never know...

Yeah, my theory (from 17 pages ago) was that Ryan was the afterthought twin, which is why it's a big deal in HSM2 when he is given the Sparkle Prize (or whatever it's called) for his choreography, and then in HSM3 he gets into Julliard while his sister has to go to Haunted University. In both cases they cut away to his parents who look amazed that their loser, forgotten son actually did something better than Sharpay. Poor Ryan. I'm glad he gets some props, since he spends most of the first movie as a glorified handbag.

• Like 6

Yeah, my theory (from 17 pages ago) was that Ryan was the afterthought twin, which is why it's a big deal in HSM2 when he is given the Sparkle Prize (or whatever it's called) for his choreography, and then in HSM3 he gets into Julliard while his sister has to go to Haunted University. In both cases they cut away to his parents who look amazed that their loser, forgotten son actually did something better than Sharpay. Poor Ryan. I'm glad he gets some props, since he spends most of the first movie as a glorified handbag.

Let's talk about their parents in HSM 3. They're the worst kind of rich white people...

tumblr_inline_niwxf2OxRU1qmf3bx.jpg

Look at this cultural appropriation bullshit. Now, they DID just come back from India. BUT WHY THE FUCK ARE THEY STILL WEARING THIS? First off, most people that go to India just wear their normal clothes. But even if, for some reason, you decided to slap on a bindi, some gaudy-ass bracelets, and whatever the fuck kind of sash their dad is wearing (they couldn't at least find a kurta?), surely you wouldn't still be wearing that shit for a seventeen-goddamn-hour flight.

• Like 6

Jeez, I take a break to focus on a writing project and this thread keeps blowing up and blowing up.

a) I have a musical in mind that may win for worst ever...or at least weirdest ever. I can't wait.

B) in 2006 I went to the Philippines. When I came back, the day I landed, that night I went to a high school football game my brother was playing in. This is middle September in Kansas, it wasn't cold, but it was cool. What was I wearing, a thin button up shirt I had bought and a scarf thing. So I COULD see some people with no sense of decorum and too much money wearing something like that to graduation.

• Like 4

Okay. I've brought this up before in one way or another, but we need to discuss it.

WAS there an East Side musical?

In HSM2 and 3, both drive towards a culminating performance, which we see and are satisfied by. HSM1 is all about the auditions to get to the callback that would precede rehearsal which would lead to a performance, but the movie ends after the callback.

There is, of course, a reference in HSM2 to how Sharpay was Gabriella's understudy in the musical etc, but the actual existence of Kelsey's show is swept under the rug. When Gabriella is listed on the Stanford smart people website, she does not list high school musicals as a thing she does. And that's the odd thing.

I'm well aware that the title 'High School Musical' was a placeholder title until they came up with something better, and then they never did. But if we look at the title for what it is, it could just as easily be 'A Musical ABOUT high school' and we'd totally buy that. But by doubling down and saying it's about a musical put on at a high school without actually showing us that musical? Super lame. Why not show us snippets of the final musical over the credits?

TOO MUCH HIGH SCHOOL

TOO MUCH MUSICAL

NOT ENOUGH HIGH SCHOOL MUSICAL

• Like 5

Also, speaking of musicals, guys, I finally finished season 2 of 'Crazy Ex-Girlfriend' last night. Annnnnd... I'm out. Oof, how toxic is EVERYONE on that show?

• Like 1

I know this issue has been talked about a bit but I have some additional thoughts on the matter of the target audience.

So Disney animated films for the large part are musicals or very musically heavy. However, in the early 2000s their animated films were moving a bit away from this. Also with the rise of Pixar and other computer animated movies, usually movies were down to one song or just using a pop song. This movie, in a certain sense, seems to be calling back to those days of the Disney musical. Is this do to the change in the animated movies at the time? Or perhaps it was made for the kids who grew up on Disney animated musicals but wouldn't be as inclined to watch an animated movie in their teens and would rather see and hear about kids there own age.

• Like 6

I haven't seen HSM2 but Sharpay, who was arguably your second best performer, was Gabriela's understudy? Why? In a school full of people who suck (based solely off the audition scene) why wouldn't you cast your secind best performers in secondary roles?

As for the target audience, I assumed Disney was trying to cash in on the popularity of Glee. What year did this come out again? Maybe Glee was greenlighted because of this.

• Like 6

As for the target audience, I assumed Disney was trying to cash in on the popularity of Glee. What year did this come out again? Maybe Glee was greenlighted because of this.

Glee didn't come out until 2009 and assuming the pilot was made in advance that still wouldn't have been shot until at least 2008. Ryan Murphy has said on numerous occasions that he has never seen or thought about High School Musical when it came to Glee. Given the other creators backgrounds, it could be the case that their intent was not to ape HSM but create a show around their personal experiences. That doesn't rule out the possibility that the success of HSM helped in getting it the greenlight.

Why do I know this? Because I just can't seem to quit Ryan Murphy.

• Like 7

Also, speaking of musicals, guys, I finally finished season 2 of 'Crazy Ex-Girlfriend' last night. Annnnnd... I'm out. Oof, how toxic is EVERYONE on that show?

YOU'RE OUT!? NO YOU CAN'T BE

To me it shows how toxic everyone in life can actually be even on a micro level but just turned up to 11 for the purpose of the show. Those last few episodes dealing with the dad shit and realizing how that sparked a lot of her craziness really hit too fuckin close to home lol.

• Like 4

There is, of course, a reference in HSM2 to how Sharpay was Gabriella's understudy in the musical etc, but the actual existence of Kelsey's show is swept under the rug. When Gabriella is listed on the Stanford smart people website, she does not list high school musicals as a thing she does. And that's the odd thing.

How about the fact that in HSM 3, a couple of randos are just "understudies." They're never "Troy's understudy." Darbus just announces, "You are understudies." Do they have to learn EVERYONE's parts just in case someone can't perform?

Also, HSM 4 is apparently in the works (although this article is over a year old):

http://www.mtv.com/news/2748210/high-school-musical-4-officially-happening/

• Like 4

Do they have to learn EVERYONE's parts just in case someone can't perform?

Yep, that happens. I was the understudy for the entire male company for a production of 'Twelfth Night' with the Australian Shakespeare Company years ago. It meant learning every role from T to B, and only getting to go on for a week at the end of the run.

• Like 4