🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
SlidePocket

Episode 221.5 - Minisode 221.5

The social consciousness of The Hottie and the Nottie, libraries being a new place to commit crime, and more on this week's mini-sode! Paul opens up the Explanation Hope Line, goes through Corrections and Omissions for The Hottie and the Nottie, and gives his Pick of the Week. Plus, find out which movie we will be watching next week!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Congratulations @PollyDarton.

June was on Jimmy Kimmel and shared some details on the book and also Paul loving rides.

I might be interested in the how to do Disney book, because I might be taking my nephews in November and they are little.

• Like 6

As I've mentioned before, my wife is a librarian - the average public library is certainly NOT a new place for people to commit crimes. But pretty much 100% of librarians will do whatever they can to keep patrons' information private, as long as it doesn't compromise the safety of other patrons or the public.

• Like 3

I think the library keeping records is entirely dependent on the library or library system. My library switched to some new thing in the last year and I can now keep track of everything I've borrowed since the switch. I don't know what the librarians would do with the information but they certainly have access to it.

I will say the librarians probably have a vague knowledge of the kind of stuff people borrow if they come in all the time. They have definitely commented on my borrowing. I try to at least throw in a "good" movie if I'm also borrowing a particularly terrible HDTGM movie (and I chose to not get Striptease from the library at all).

• Like 3

8 hours ago, TomPretty said:

Which “Unforgettable” are they doing?  The one from two years ago?

Yes, it's the Rosario Dawson, Katherine Heigl one.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, grudlian. said:

Ironically, with that cast it sounds VERY forgettable.

15 hours ago, TomPretty said:

Which “Unforgettable” are they doing?  The one from two years ago?

6 hours ago, grudlian. said:

I WISH they would do the Ray Liotta/Linda Fiorentino one. It is righteous trash that deserves to be celebrated.

Finally catching up on some ‘casts and just wanted to congratulate @PollyDarton for her win! 

Also, I tried watching Netflix’s The Dark Crystal show and I’m really not into it. Artistically, I appreciate it a whole lot, but I really can’t get into it. Anyone else feel that way?

• Like 4

I'm kind of sad there was no mailbag this week I love listening to tall john getting tricked by Micheal Bay 

• Haha 1

Don't worry about the Oregon thing... IMHO, you never listen to people who live in a place on  how to pronounce the name of it. They have said it a million times, and have bastardized it over time. When people ask what state I'm from I say "S'consin". It's because I have said Wisconsin like a billion times, and I'm too lazy to say it right. :)

23 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

Finally catching up on some ‘casts and just wanted to congratulate @PollyDarton for her win! 

Also, I tried watching Netflix’s The Dark Crystal show and I’m really not into it. Artistically, I appreciate it a whole lot, but I really can’t get into it. Anyone else feel that way?

I haven't watched this yet, but that's exactly how I felt about Dark Crystal as a kid. I eventually got into it watching it in high school but that's a long gestation. I'm very behind on Netflix shows but I'm wary about Dark Crystal.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, grudlian. said:

I haven't watched this yet, but that's exactly how I felt about Dark Crystal as a kid. I eventually got into it watching it in high school but that's a long gestation. I'm very behind on Netflix shows but I'm wary about Dark Crystal.

Yeah, on paper, I should be very much into it. I’m just not. 

• Like 1

On 9/8/2019 at 7:48 AM, Cameron H. said:

Yes. Granted I only watched the first episode but I wasn't feeling it. I did love the puppetry and playing guess that voice but the story and pacing off it all were just not compelling me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cam Bert said:

Yes. Granted I only watched the first episode but I wasn't feeling it. I did love the puppetry and playing guess that voice but the story and pacing off it all were just not compelling me.

The pacing is my biggest issue with the original, as well. I’m not saying I only like frenetically paced movies, but TDC feels glacial.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Cameron H. said:

The pacing is my biggest issue with the original, as well. I’m not saying I only like frenetically paced movies, but TDC feels glacial.

Yes. Compare it to other children's fantasy films of the time it is slow compared to them. I wonder if that is just a story thing or because of the puppetry.

• Like 2

It might be a little of both, but I’d lean heavily toward story. At that point, Henson had already proved he could do feature length movies using puppetry and none of those feel like a drag. The story is both plodding and inscrutable at the same time. It takes an extremely simple premise, but in my opinion, loses itself up its own butt with lore. 

• Like 2

On 9/8/2019 at 8:19 PM, Cameron H. said:

Yeah, on paper, I should be very much into it. I’m just not. 

I can't think of a single thing that Henson made that I enjoyed that wasn't The Muppets. Some Star Wars stuff I guess.

34 minutes ago, theworstbuddhist said:

I can't think of a single thing that Henson made that I enjoyed that wasn't The Muppets. Some Star Wars stuff I guess.

Sesame Street?

On 9/7/2019 at 3:48 PM, Cameron H. said:

Echoing the same sentiments. Though my weird issue is, while the puppets are beautiful, I've only ever seen bits of the movie because I have a negative visceral reaction to it. Still images from it, I'm fine, but in motion, it bothers me so much I turn it off. This doesn't happen for other puppet movies/shows of the time, or past or present, I can't explain it. Still, I appreciate its existence and I'm glad new audiences are being turned onto it via the series.

• Like 2

I... I love the new Dark Crystal. Loooove it. Honestly, I'm not the biggest fan of the original movie. I feel it's a compromised film, one in which the technical and narrative challenges of doing a full-length feature in the Henson puppetry style were worked out, which resulted in the far superior and magnificent Labyrinth. The Netflix show, however, feels like all the potential of the original is finally realized. As a huge Henson fan, it's a beautiful thing to see 

• Like 3