πŸ”’ The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... Γ—
JulyDiaz

Episode 166 - Timecop: LIVE!

The logic of this movie is an impregnable fortress, but here's another issue. When taser thug is planning to kill Max, he brags about its "fifty thousand volts, motherfucker" before preparing to shoot. Well, sure, a taser does have 50kV of electrical potential but only a few milliamps of current. That's why a taser is a non-lethal weapon. Shooting the taser into a puddle of water is just going to reduce the net potential of the electrical charge since the current has so many more places to go. In other words, it won't do a damn thing.

Β 

Maybe the movie is positing lethal tasers in 2004, but why bother? Those lasers seem to be way more effective. That thug is a goddamn idiot.

• Like 4

Well Rae Dawn Chong is from Colorado, right? She says she was in a different state in 1994 at least.

Β 

What I want to know is there a hierarchy or some sort of division to who gets to go to what period of time? Like instead of having a vice squad and a homicide department they have a "1920s division" and "hippie squad" of agents that are highly trained on a specific time period and its mannerisms and way of speaking. Alternatively maybe you have to run X number of missions in the recent past before you get to do something as big as jump back to the civil war.

Β 

The answer to the question is 'No, they don't have time-period squads', as evidenced by JCVD sauntering into the stock broker's office in his 1994 TEC costume......

Β 

BUT....

Β 

They should definitely have done your idea - the spin-off potential is incredible just look at all the frickin' CSIs there are!!!

Β 

You should immediately start writing TimeCop 1920s, TimeCop WW1, TimeCop WW2, TimeCop Summer of Love etc etc etc etc etc and send them ALL to JCVD

Β 

GENIUS!!

• Like 2

I don't know if anyone's talked about it, but has anyone seen the pilot for this upcoming show? (It's on Prime Video)

jean-claude-van-johnson-600x410.jpg

Edit: Upcoming show that was first released August 18, 2016 .......

I think it looks like a stone cold smash!

• Like 1

I think it's actually worse than that. A law that says "The same matter cannot occupy the same place at the same time" is just another way of saying, "The same matter has to be somewhere else at any given time because it can't be occupying the space where it is." This is a supremely nihilist law of physics that requires that the only space matter cannot occupy is the space the matter is occupying at that moment.

Β 

I get that all science fiction has to invent new physical laws or imagine that today's technological hurdles have been surmounted (Star Wars has The Force, Star Trek has Warp Drive...) but it seems pretty glaring to me that Time Cop's contribution to physics is to forbid existence.

Β 

This has been twisting my mind to such an extent that I couldn't ever quite keep the thread of my thoughts going but you have unravelled my confusion.

Β 

I knew it didn't really make sense and was trying to come up with a more accurate sensible way they could have phrased it:

Β 

Two versions of the same matter can't occupy the same space? That doesn't work becasue if there are two versions, then it is by definition NOT the 'same' matter.

Β 

Matter can't be doubled in the same space? No that's just a terrible line for a movie....although too terrible for this movie??

Β 

Matter that is....?

Β 

If there are two versions of.....? ah Fuck it....then I drifted into a trance.

Β 

So thanks!

• Like 3

The Movie Timecop also bears a slight resemblance to the 1993-1994 TV series Time Trax, in which a cop from the future comes back in time to catch fugitives.

Β 

Although with all this jumping around in time it's hard to say who was first

Doesn't it seem like very little actually happens? The action scenes seem to last forever, especially the climactic battle, which feels like one third of the friggin' movie.

Β 

Also, this movie would have been awesome with Kurt Russel. But how about:

Β 

Bruce Willis?

Mickey Rourke?

Nic Cage??

How about the fact JCVD of the future gives his wife shit for not telling his past self that she's pregnant? When he asks her if she told him (and why should he have to ask? Shouldn't that memory just appear in his brain like a scar on actor/activist Ron Silva's cheek?), she says that his past self wouldn't give her a chance. He then tells her to "try harder." Hey, bro, it's not her fault that you're an inattentive, self-centered, douchebag.

• Like 5

How about the fact JCVD of the future gives his wife shit for not telling his past self that she's pregnant? When he asks her if she told him (and why should he have to ask? Shouldn't that memory just appear in his brain like a scar on actor/activist Ron Silva's cheek?), she says that his past self wouldn't give her a chance. He then tells her to "try harder." Hey, bro, it's not her fault that you're an inattentive, self-centered, douchebag.

Β 

He also tells Fielding that she should give Bobby Morgan a second change, when Fielding clearly said that Bobby was a disappointment. Why the hell does he deserve a second chance? It's not like he knows Bobby personally.

• Like 6

Β 

Β 

He also tells Fielding that she should give Bobby Morgan a second change, when Fielding clearly said that Bobby was a disappointment. Why the hell does he deserve a second chance? It's not like he knows Bobby personally.

Β 

So he treats his wife like a moron when she tries to build a birdhouse, gives her crap for not being assertive enough when dealing with his pig-headed past self, and feels like a man he's never met deserves a "second chance" despite Fielding's obvious distaste for him. Jesus, can you imagine what his reaction might have been had a ten year old girl run out to greet him at the end?

Β 

Β 

nooooooo_elf.gif

Β 

• Like 4

Β 

I took that to mean that if it's gonna happen anyway, why not make it a better experience? To the 16-year-old Fielding, it would still be a "first" chance.

• Like 2

Β 

I took that to mean that if it's gonna happen anyway, why not make it a better experience? To the 16-year-old Fielding, it would still be a "first" chance.

Β 

Nooo, this was at the end of the movie, when non-Silva timeline Fielding walks past JCVD for the "first" time in 2004 and has no clue who he is. So she's already had her encounter with Bobby. God this movie is confusing...

• Like 4

Nooo, this was at the end of the movie, when non-Silva timeline Fielding walks past JCVD for the "first" time in 2004 and has no clue who he is. So she's already had her encounter with Bobby. God this movie is confusing...

Β 

Gotcha. Maybe JCVD will go back in time and give Bobby some pointers. You know, more candles in the afternoon, kissing at impossible angles, etc.

• Like 3

I knew it didn't really make sense and was trying to come up with a more accurate sensible way they could have phrased it:

Β 

Two versions of the same matter can't occupy the same space? That doesn't work becasue if there are two versions, then it is by definition NOT the 'same' matter.

Β 

Matter can't be doubled in the same space? No that's just a terrible line for a movie....although too terrible for this movie??

Β 

Matter that is....?

Β 

If there are two versions of.....? ah Fuck it....then I drifted into a trance.

No matter where you go, there you are.

• Like 1

No matter where you go, there you are.

Β 

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Β 

What a tagline.....

Β 

''No matter where you go, there you are....but if you touch yourself you'll turn into a tomato sauce beast''

• Like 1

So he treats his wife like a moron when she tries to build a birdhouse, gives her crap for not being assertive enough when dealing with his pig-headed past self, and feels like a man he's never met deserves a "second chance" despite Fielding's obvious distaste for him. Jesus, can you imagine what his reaction might have been had a ten year old girl run out to greet him at the end?

Β 

Β 

nooooooo_elf.gif

Β 

Huh looks like you guys took care of my week in feminism for me ;)

Β 

(Except I still have issues with Fielding dying)

• Like 5

Huh looks like you guys took care of my week in feminism for me ;)

Β 

(Except I still have issues with Fielding dying)

Fell free to rant about Fielding dying! We're all ears!

• Like 4

(Some of) My notes...

Β 

(Better late than never... Sorry if there is overlap in info because I skimmed some of the 11 pages :P;) )

Β 

* (In the episode)When Paul talked about the JCVD erection video I thought he would also mention the famous Volvo Ad https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7FIvfx5J10

Β 

* (Some spoilers from the end of Season 1 ep. 8)

Β 

* The Timecop logic is broken... But only if you think about it ;)

Β 

* 10 years after JCVDs house blows up and he has no extra security???

Β 

* I.A. Cop lady's birthday and house blow up happen ON THE SAME DAY... What a coinkidink :o

Β 

* Cool camera tracking and railing/scaffolding slide

Β 

*Trump's campaing plan to win also in the movie during the peanut eating scene

Β 

* "Chill out after the election" would of been a better line/pun

Β 

* "Have a nice day" vs. "Have an Ice day" Was an honest mistake IMHO Just change the possition of the letter N ;)

Β 

* I'm having Austin Powers 2 flashbacks... "I'm Max 10 years from now"

Β 

* Pervert tech guy "Ricky" changes to clean cut, well dressed/groomed, hair pull back and soft spoken "Richard" in alternate 2004

Β 

* Dayumm... Dailup internet in a phonebooth in '94... Some old school stuff right there son!

Β 

* "Here is the blood of the whitness, Do you believe me now?" (If the scar appears then the blood would dissapear if they kill younger Gloria right???)

Β 

* The same accent as her husband and she still does not buy it :S

Β 

*Is saliva considered "same matter"??? Guess not cuz that kiss did not made 94 JCVD's lips dry up immediately

Β 

* '94 JCVD sends his pregnant wife outside in the pouring rain to a slippery roof as bait???!!! But

shes so awesome cool that she saves his ass shooting the baddie later

Β 

* The baddie blew his chance of fusion evaporate two JCVDs at the last minute and instead tossed 2004 asidde and jumped through the window on top of 94 jcvd... IDIOT!!!

Β 

* My italian TIMECOP DVD is rated G for general audiences :S

Β 

*Actor/activist Ron Silva (Senator Mc Comb) fusion evaporation probabbly creates a paradox and the TEC is never created because he or anybody else for that matter doesn't go back to steal gold or money in the past so the red flags are not raised and Van Damme and wife get foreclosed cuz he does not get the TEC job

• Like 3

Every time i see this part...

Β 

post-19567-0-12102500-1500505880.jpg

Β 

giphy.gif

post-19567-0-12102500-1500505880_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Catching up with Maximiliano as well. My biggest problem with this movie and given how batshit crazy this movie is my criticism seems silly but when the senators were discussing who was going to lead the new time travel division and they describe Mcgill's character as being a Chief of Police or something along those lines.

Β 

For the entire movie all that was running through my mind is why in gods green earth would they have basically a beat cop be leading the most scientifically advanced police agency in existence? Really its not someone from like D.A.R.P.A or a high ranking military officer.

Β 

They're like "Yeah were going to put together a police force thats going to based around bleeding edge science and technology and the man heading it will thankfully have extensive experience in inner city crime". Because those are the necessary skills and background your going to need when dealing with criminals who will potentially be altering the fabric of time and space.

Β 

It makes Bruce McGills confusion as to what the hell JCVD is talking about when he time travels to the alternate timeline all the more plausible. Of course he doesnt understand, his last job was basically screaming at McNulty if i'm to believe anything of The Wire.

• Like 4

Catching up with Maximiliano as well. My biggest problem with this movie and given how batshit crazy this movie is my criticism seems silly but when the senators were discussing who was going to lead the new time travel division and they describe Mcgill's character as being a Chief of Police or something along those lines.

Β 

For the entire movie all that was running through my mind is why in gods green earth would they have basically a beat cop be leading the most scientifically advanced police agency in existence? Really its not someone from like D.A.R.P.A or a high ranking military officer.

Β 

They're like "Yeah were going to put together a police force thats going to based around bleeding edge science and technology and the man heading it will thankfully have extensive experience in inner city crime". Because those are the necessary skills and background your going to need when dealing with criminals who will potentially be altering the fabric of time and space.

Β 

It makes Bruce McGills confusion as to what the hell JCVD is talking about when he time travels to the alternate timeline all the more plausible. Of course he doesnt understand, his last job was basically screaming at McNulty if i'm to believe anything of The Wire.

Β 

In addition, why didn't they invite the guy who invented the time travel contraption to the meeting or at least consult with him regarding the Time Enforcement Commission?

• Like 3

I just had an epiphany re: Timecop theory.

Β 

What Timecop postulates regarding matter occupying the same space is not a scientific theory but rather a philosophical treatise. As several astute posters have already pointed out, the same person at different points of time is not comprised of the same matter. Our cells are constantly turning over, we are constantly replenishing our body with new water and oxygen, and even the components that make up those cells are being decomposed and regenerated, etc.

Β 

All of this fits in with the philosophy of Heraclitus, who famously said that "no man ever steps in the same river twice".

Β 

Timecop, with its insistence on shared matter between the same person at different times, is instead proposing a world that follows the philosopy of Parmenides. In Parmenides' philosophy, nothing ever changes. It is only our faulty senses that deceive us into believing that things change. In this view, the Timecop matter paradox makes perfect sense.

Β 

But getting back to the science of it, what happens when the air inside the Timecop car finds its past self somewhere in the world? Do we get some sort of weird air implosion? Is this a kind of matter-antimatter type collision?

• Like 3

I just had an epiphany re: Timecop theory.

Β 

What Timecop postulates regarding matter occupying the same space is not a scientific theory but rather a philosophical treatise. As several astute posters have already pointed out, the same person at different points of time is not comprised of the same matter. Our cells are constantly turning over, we are constantly replenishing our body with new water and oxygen, and even the components that make up those cells are being decomposed and regenerated, etc.

Β 

All of this fits in with the philosophy of Heraclitus, who famously said that "no man ever steps in the same river twice".

Β 

Timecop, with its insistence on shared matter between the same person at different times, is instead proposing a world that follows the philosopy of Parmenides. In Parmenides' philosophy, nothing ever changes. It is only our faulty senses that deceive us into believing that things change. In this view, the Timecop matter paradox makes perfect sense.

Β 

But getting back to the science of it, what happens when the air inside the Timecop car finds its past self somewhere in the world? Do we get some sort of weird air implosion? Is this a kind of matter-antimatter type collision?

A fascinating conjecture. However, if we are getting into spiritual metaphysics, maybe we can explain the "matter occupying the same space" conundrum of Timecop with the Mind-body dualism of RenΓ© Descartes. Since regular ol' corporeal matter from different times clearly occupies the same space quite frequently in Timecop, from (as you pointed out) air to clothes to vehicles, perhaps the film is positing that the mind or spirit is a separate yet non-physical entity, one that cannot occupy the same physical shell or body as another. This collapse of the mind-body dualism into a singular form is why Ron Silver melts into metaphysical goo at the end, thus dying both physically and spiritually.

• Like 3

reply to joel_rosenbaum & Quasar Sniffer

Β 

Β 

*in Rob Huebel voice* You gave more thought to that "Time Cop" line than they EVER did...

• Like 1

I usually dread the audience participation segment of live shows (thanks to dudes asking dumb questions and trying to one-up the professional comedians) but the people of Austin killed it.*

Β 

Who sang the Second Opinions song? And what song was it a spoof or homage too?

Who sang the Second Opinions song? And what song was it a spoof or homage too?

It was a lovely woman that was from the dirty balcony like I was and I believe it was an homage to the amazing Joni Mitchell's "Both Sides Now"

• Like 3