🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 134 - Can't Stop the Music: LIVE!

I honestly don't care what you are: man, woman, straight, bi, gay, trans, or any of the other dozens of terms that have popped up in the last decade or so that I still don't understand even after reading definitions in online dictionaries or wikipedia, if you aren't clicking for me, you just aren't clicking for me. I liked this episode for the most part though at times it seemed like the rhythm was thrown off for one reason or another, but it got back on track quickly. I also now desperately want Pete Holmes back for an episode for the Lawnmower Man movies. I thought Cameron was good though I did think the women's pay remark in regarding dropping the mic was completely out of left field and stopped the flow, sort of like how Chris Hardwick has gone on rants on At Midnight that take all the fun from the show which had to be edited down in order for his rant to make it on air. Other than that she was good, in my opinion.

Speaking on who gets the most shade thrown their way in regards to comedy, I don't pay attention to what people say because tastes are different, and the internet is such a volatile place so much that it can ruin careers now, if you want proof of that look at what is happening right now to the girl who was runner up on this last season of American Idol regarding her neutral comments regarding recent laws LGTB issues in the South. I have no problem with a comedian's style as long as it's funny. I like Amy Schumer and Nikki Glazer's style because they make it work naturally and it's funny, while on the other hand I cannot stand Sarah Silverman because it seems so forced with what she says. There have been episodes of Doug Loves Movies that I just can't get through because a guest is just either too much of an ass (Pete Holmes and Graham Elwood have fallen into this category when they goes out of their way to be contrarian) or when they are just belligerent (Anthony Jeselnick and Schumer during one of the paid episodes where they were so drunk all they did was scream fuck and dick for the first 25 minutes of the episode).

Basically looking at any comment section for ANYTHING online is enough to cause your hair to turn grey, so I just avoid it unless I've looked through and realized that for the most part it's just a few outlier commentators being dickbags. This forum is the rare oasis in the internet desert that has stayed pretty standard for what is talked about, though episodes like this and a few recommendations on the other forum seem to occasionally bring out the worst in people, on both sides of the argument.

I mean seriously

6c5d6f1b9fbc6c1e458dba54d8cc828cea56185270db86a8c3f0deddf7a715a8.jpg

• Like 3

Why did HDTGM gloss over the fact that a movie comprised of blatant gay male stereotypes is full of instances of those males hitting on women (especially the guy in the sequined native american costumes who kept winking at female characters, etc.)? It almost felt like they were trying to avoid some sort of censorship with a very thin veneer of heterosexuality which just came off as bizarre.

I don't know so maybe you guys can answer this, were all the members of the Village People gay?

• Like 1

I don't know so maybe you guys can answer this, were all the members of the Village People gay?

I wonder if the cop is like "how many girlfriends do I have to bring to set before people stop asking this?"

I can't tell if this is a serious question or not since Paul did address it in the show? But we know for sure that neither the original cop (Victor Willis) nor the cop in the movie (Ray Simpson) are gay. Google says the Leatherman isn't gay but I believe it means the current Leatherman? Glenn Hughes, the Leatherman in the film, passed away. At least 22 people have played the various roles in the Village People over the years so it's a bit difficult to speculate about the sexuality of all of them. But I think the main point is that they were founded by a gay man who purposefully created a group to reflect gay subculture. So it is weird that the film never uses the word "gay" and has fake female love interests for some of the guys. I don't really think HDTGM glossed over that fact, because Cameron and Jason talk about it specifically at about 23 minutes into the podcast, but perhaps not as in depth as the imdb thread.

Why did HDTGM gloss over the fact that a movie comprised of blatant gay male stereotypes is full of instances of those males hitting on women (especially the guy in the sequined native american costumes who kept winking at female characters, etc.)? It almost felt like they were trying to avoid some sort of censorship with a very thin veneer of heterosexuality which just came off as bizarre.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

I totally get what Cameron was saying about dicks being unnecessary for sex. I do think her stance is extremely female centric though, which is understandable from a lesbian feminist. But saying dicks are useless is like saying clits are useless. Both are helpful, not necessary, but helpful for achieving orgasm.

Esposito is clearly a college comedien. UNhumorous to the extreme. Please Mr. Scheer do not subject me to her again. I love your podcast as nd.TV appearance s.

Anyone who thinks that Cameron Esposito was lodging a sincere attack against the existence of the penis needs therapy. Maybe even Color of Night style group therapy.

That being said, this episode is generally why I like the studio episodes over the live ones. Sometimes the guests or even the gang can go a bit overboard playing to the crowd (I'm looking at you Adam Pally in the TMNT2 episode). And its not even a real judgement on them, they're performing to a large audience they have to keep the energy up.

I do think a studio episode would have been a bit more critically received from the earlier posters.

Again THAT being said, some of my favorite episodes are live ones (The Devil's Advocate, Superman 3, Staying Alive, Rhinestone.) So I hope they keep doing both.

• Like 2

I've experienced this before on the forums. I expressed how I thought Cameron Esposito was two-dimensional and unfunny in a Comedy Bang Bang episode, and I was called a misogynist, homophobic, comedy-policing bigot. I've since realized that this isn't the place to express our negative feelings about an episode or a guest, and we should just keep our feedback back-fed to other forums. Earwolf is a place for positive feedback only, unless you want to be tarred and feathered. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, I also enjoy an environment of positivity and support, but I'm just pointing it out because that's the way it is around here.

Personally, I think we should just draw a line under it, and not let this forum descend into two seperate tribes, especially over one guest which holds no baring over the quality of work done by Paul, June, Jason and staff like Avril, Nate and others who I apologise for forgetting, who bring us one of the best podcasts you can get, for free.

The episode has been made, it's been listened to, let's maintain a community that had amazing conversations, like the "LOL" thread in the Bad Movie Recommendations forum, the Mortal Kombat thread and others. We're all here for the same reason, let's just put down our AK's, lay down our Uzi's and just form one massive Massive!

Yes, I did steal that last line from Ali G: Indahouse.

In fact, to raise spirits, here's Eric Stonestreet in a couple of funny vines

https://vine.co/v/hOvpQYQY1QJ

https://vine.co/v/hOg6FHjr0U2

• Like 2

I've experienced this before on the forums. I expressed how I thought Cameron Esposito was two-dimensional and unfunny in a Comedy Bang Bang episode, and I was called a misogynist, comedy-policing bigot. I've since realized that this isn't the place to express our negative feelings about an episode or a guest, and we should just keep our feedback back-fed to other forums. Earwolf is a place for positive feedback only, unless you want to be tarred and feathered. This isn't necessarily a bad thing, I also enjoy an environment of positivity and support, but I'm just pointing it out because that's the way it is around here.

Incidentally this episode was almost unbearable, however I managed to make it through. It felt a little bit like watching the new Ghostbusters trailer on repeat.

Oh man, I long for the days where we would discuss the movie on this thread...I really wanted to stay out of it, but here I go diving back into the shit.

I understand what you're saying, Oddbomb, but we've always tried to be pretty cool on this thread when it comes to criticism. I've called Bullshit on things before, and never had to worry about the threat of being banned from the boards.

The difference really is between offering criticism and just being critical.

I'm not sure how it was on the CBB board, but my problem is when I read multiple comments that read, "I'm not anti-lesbian, but Cameron..." or "I don't want people to think I don't get feminism, but this episode..." When you couch your comments in these types of phrases, you're saying (implicitly) "this does bother me and I can't see passed it." And you know some of these comments are coming from a bigoted, angry place when I can write a post, before even listening to the episode--one that took no sides, just an appeal to "be excellent to another"--and get attacked for trying to censor everyone for being too critical. Again, I had not listened to the episode nor taken a side! How did this person "know" I would be against him/her?

Here's the thing: Cameron Esposito is a human being. She is also a professional comedian. If you don't care for her stuff--fine, say that...nicely. Here's a form letter everyone can use, "Dang, I usually love [blank], but I wasn't too thrilled with [blank] on today's episode. Oh well...better luck next time" (Please note the complete and utter lack of anything that references the person's gender, sexual orientation, religion, or race.)

"But Cameron H," you say, "it was because she talked about those thing that I didn't like it...You can see why I had to create/dust off my account just so I could tell everyone how badly my urethra got all twisted up." Again, this may point to an underlying issue within you, but I'll play ball. You can also bring this stuff up (i.e. "hot button issues"), but only if you're willing to do so in a respectful manner and keep an open mind. If you can't do so, don't waste everyone's time with your negativity. I would like to point out the "Be a Man" discussion back for Temptation. Everyone here had opinions about it, but we all spoke to each other like adults and with respect. In fact, I believe that's where Taylor Anne Photo and I first engaged with each other (on opposite sides) and now she's one of my favorite-est people on the boards.

I also would argue that, based on the reaction to her on this thread, I think that it's more important than ever that Cameron does take a stand on issues regarding feminism and sexuality and include them in her act. Despite what people are saying here, it is obvious we still have a long way to go. Sometimes, it's easier to tackle these issues with laughter rather than vitriol.

94276-be-excellent-to-each-other-and-qgwr.gif

• Like 12

just catching up ... i think this would be the first time that if jason were to actually read any of this he would be legitimately justified in saying ... "whats up jerks!"

i thought this episode was hilarious .. i have no clue what some of ye are talking about ... cameron was spot on ... pete was hilarious ... jason was bouncing off both of them and paul did his usual stellar job as the ringmaster.

i usually enjoy these forums. im not as good as alot of ye at finding quality C&O's but i do enjoy reading your comments and i like posting stupid GIFs and maybe an occasional video.

for me HDTGM is like a 3 course meal every second week.

MENU

Starters:

the movie of the week ... sometimes its a nasty bowl of chowder but usually its a delicious bowl of steaming minestrone soup .. i love me some minestrone

Main:

the episode ... always a wonderful hearty spread of humour and amazing observations

Dessert:

the mini ... where i laugh as paul butchers all our names and then i hold my breath in the hope paul might find one of my GIFs funny and give me a shotout but when he doesn't i have to convince myself he's probably old school and he prefers to read from printouts rather than a screen

but this week ... i think this week we will be very fortunate if paul doesn't send us all to bed without any dessert ... dumdums ... i loved the madness

but anyways ... look at this guy ... eat your heart out kylie minogue ,... "i'm spinning around ... in my gold pants ..."

goldpants.gif

• Like 13

Oh man, I long for the days where we would discuss the movie on this thread...I really wanted to stay out of it, but here I go diving back into the shit.

I understand what you're saying, Oddbomb, but we've always tried to be pretty cool on this thread when it comes to criticism. I've called Bullshit on things before, and never had to worry about the threat of being banned from the boards.

The difference really is between offering criticism and just being critical.

I'm not sure how it was on the CBB board, but my problem is when I read multiple comments that read, "I'm not anti-lesbian, but Cameron..." or "I don't want people to think I don't get feminism, but this episode..." When you couch your comments in these types of phrases, you're saying (implicitly) "this does bother me and I can't see passed it." And you know some of these comments are coming from a bigoted, angry place when I can write a post, before even listening to the episode--one that took no sides, just an appeal to "be excellent to another"--and get attacked for trying to censor everyone for being too critical. Again, I had not listened to the episode nor taken a side! How did this person "know" I would be against him/her?

Here's the thing: Cameron Esposito is a human being. She is also a professional comedian. If you don't care for her stuff--fine, say that...nicely. Here's a form letter everyone can use, "Dang, I usually love [blank], but I wasn't too thrilled with [blank] on today's episode. Oh well...better luck next time" (Please note the complete and utter lack of anything that references the person's gender, sexual orientation, religion, or race.)

"But Cameron H," you say, "it was because she talked about those thing that I didn't like it...You can see why I had to create/dust off my account just so I could tell everyone how badly my urethra got all twisted up." Again, this may point to an underlining issue within you, but I'll play ball. You can also bring this stuff up (i.e. "hot button issues"), but only if you're willing to do so in a respectful manner and keep an open mind. If you can't do so, don't waste everyone's time with your negativity. I would like to point out the "Be a Man" discussion back for Temptation. Everyone here had opinions about it, but we all spoke to each other like adults and with respect. In fact, I believe that's where Taylor Anne Photo and I first engaged with each other (on opposite sides) and now she's one of my favorite-est people on the boards.

I also would argue that, based on the reaction to her on this thread, I think that it's more important than ever that Cameron does take a stand on issues regarding feminism and sexuality and include them in her act. Despite what people are saying here, it is obvious we still have a long way to go. Sometimes, it's easier to tackle these issues with laughter rather than vitriol.

94276-be-excellent-to-each-other-and-qgwr.gif

I have no problem discussing social issues. But I come to this podcast to laugh. And this particular show was short on comedy because it's hard to maintain a comedic flow when we stop every few minutes for the audience to uncomfortably shrug cause there not sure what is happening.

• Like 3

Loved the episode:

Paul brings an enthusiasm and humour to the film that cannot be overstated.

Pete's tongue-in-cheek quirky tone helps us see the movie in a more comedic light.

Cameron's informative, articulate approach demonstrates the undertones and truth behind the film.

Lose the Douchebag

I have no problem discussing social issues. But I come to this podcast to laugh. And this particular show was short on comedy because it's hard to maintain a comedic flow when we stop every few minutes for the audience to uncomfortably shrug cause there not sure what is happening.

But that's the issue, isn't it? Obviously, her comedy didn't do anything for you, and by the looks of it, many others, but I did enjoy it. Now, I don't want this to devolve into a case of "my comedy is better than your comedy," it's just a matter of taste. I don't want to hear strangers tell me I'm wrong for finding something funny any more than you want to hear me tell you that you're wrong for not finding it funny. So you don't want social issues in your comedy? Then don't listen to this one episode, it's not for you--there are 133 others and (hopefully) many more to come. However, just because a group of people didn't like it doesn't mean it's time to grab the pitchforks and light the torches--they weren't wrong for releasing it nor is Cameron "not funny," she's just not funny to you. If you feel the need to comment on it (although, I generally take the "if you don't have anything nice to say" approach to these things myself) then do so, just don't be a jerk about it.

I mean, I get it. We all have our ideas of what "funny" is. If you want to get on my bad side, make a rape or pedophilia joke. You're going to lose me real quick. But you have every right to make that joke, just as I have the equal right not to listen to it.

So, to the people who didn't like the episode--I'm sorry. I'm sorry that it wasn't your cup of tea. You've made your point, but that doesn't mean you're right. It doesn't even mean that I'm right. It just means we're all different and we just need to accept that--which is kind of the point of the jokes Cameron was making anyway...

• Like 5

But that's the issue, isn't it? Obviously, her comedy didn't do anything for you, and by the looks of it, many others, but I did enjoy it. Now, I don't want this to devolve into a case of "my comedy is better than your comedy," it's just a matter of taste. I don't want to hear strangers tell me I'm wrong for finding something funny any more than you want to hear me tell you that you're wrong for not finding it funny. So you don't want social issues in your comedy? Then don't listen to this one episode, it's not for you--there are 133 others and (hopefully) many more to come. However, just because a group of people didn't like it doesn't mean it's time to grab the pitchforks and light the torches--they weren't wrong for releasing it nor is Cameron "not funny," she's just not funny to you. If you feel the need to comment on it (although, I generally take the "if you don't have anything nice to say" approach to these things myself) then do so, just don't be a jerk about it.

I mean, I get it. We all have our ideas of what "funny" is. If you want to get on my bad side, make a rape or pedophilia joke. You're going to lose me real quick. But you have every right to make that joke, just as I have the equal right not to listen to it.

So, to the people who didn't like the episode--I'm sorry. I'm sorry that it wasn't your cup of tea. You've made your point, but that doesn't mean you're right. It doesn't even mean that I'm right. It just means we're all different and we just need to accept that--which is kind of the point of the jokes Cameron was making anyway...

Your middle paragraph reminded me of the late, great Patrice O'Neal, who basically said "You should be able to make whatever joke you want, it might not be funny to some people, you might get in trouble for it, but you have to defend the ATTEMPT at making a joke".

• Like 4

Your middle paragraph reminded me of the late, great Patrice O'Neal, who basically said "You should be able to make whatever joke you want, it might not be funny to some people, you might get in trouble for it, but you have to defend the ATTEMPT at making a joke".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cwk-BQ4Mc0Y

That man was a goddamn genius. The woman though perfectly encapsulated the mindset of a lot of people online today where she basically said "you have the right to say whatever but..." and went on how she felt Patrice really didn't have that right and then proceeded to name call. It reminds me of when Patton Oswalt did the butter man joke breakdown on Twitter revealing how no matter how much you cleanse something, someone will always find a way to be offended and it's unfortunate that it is to the point where most just don't say anything out of fear or reprisal.

• Like 5

It was really cool how Esposito made a big deal about what pronoun to address Jenner with, only to flip-flop and change the pronoun to the other side in the middle of the episode. Very progressive. You can really feel the tenderness and care.

I also liked when she undercut the dicks being useless conversation by acting like the guys started it, except she did.

Oh and the super fun part where the fan came up with the fairly interesting Gemini/two personalities comment and she immediately no-butted it by saying 'that's not how transgender works'.

• Like 3

That man was a goddamn genius. The woman though perfectly encapsulated the mindset of a lot of people online today where she basically said "you have the right to say whatever but..." and went on how she felt Patrice really didn't have that right and then proceeded to name call. It reminds me of when Patton Oswalt did the butter man joke breakdown on Twitter revealing how no matter how much you cleanse something, someone will always find a way to be offended and it's unfortunate that it is to the point where most just don't say anything out of fear or reprisal.

Yeah, that was one of the starting off point of one thing that REALLY pisses me off that's happening right now:

- Somebody creates something, with their own hard work and imagination

- A subset of people, who have no interest in the creation say "Hey! That's problematic, you better change that shit"

- The creator apologises, changes it, because they either don't want to offend anyone, or they think that's what the paying public wants

- The people who are interested in it then say "What the fuck?! Why did you change it?!"

- The original people who made a big deal about it in the first place then say "Oh my god, look at them getting all upset about it, why are you making such a big deal about it?! It's only..."

Ah, who am I kidding. I just want to watch the forum burn.

tumblr_n0oadkqY4z1szq987o3_500.gif

• Like 6