🔒 The Earwolf Forums are closed Read more... ×
JulyDiaz

Episode 134 - Can't Stop the Music: LIVE!

What is my mission "job", exactly? I am a glorified janitor who spends too many hours a day on this site, deleting torrents of spam from Korean robots and merging Bad Movie Recommendation threads. Occasionally, I must tolerate a two-week-long spate of people spewing hate about a particular guest, only removing one or two comments that stray into outright personal attacks. And for this, I am paid the staggering sum of $0.

And this, my friend, is why we are your fans too.

giphy.gif

• Like 5

Oh I go away for awhile and miss actual good posts. Congrats!!

My mom chose a name from a fictional character that she liked thought I wouldn't say I am named after that person; she just thought "oh that's a nice name." So, though I like the literary allusion of Hunter, I think you should name him after your favorite Village Person. Or maybe Gute. Think about it. "the Leatherman H."

Also I was a multiple birth and a dumb nurse thought there were three of us instead of two so my mom came up with a third name. So now she jokes my ass is called Mary Ann.

• Like 4

I honestly hope Scott books Cameron on as many podcasts as possible just to piss everyone here the fuck off. It would be so fucking funny to see all these soft hearted bitches be "offended" to the extreme. Earwolf can start an Oppression Olympics podcast.

• Like 3

I enjoyed the episode and then I did a stupid thing: I read the posts in this forum for the first time and could not stop reading until I found my self here, posting for the first time (and last).

This is a warning for all those who enjoy the show: Don't read the forums.

It's a waste of time and will leave a bad taste in your mouth. Seriously...I went through so many posts and it's all useless.

I realize this is neither clever or confrontational...just an impotent gesture before bed to 'justify' the time and energy I spent sifting through other people's opinions. And not even real people...internet people (really...just a useless waste of time).

So to sum up: Great podcast, one of my favs. Forums? No, absolutely not. Never again in fact.

and with that said I am now born/deceased in one fell swoop (without ever including a gif or meme or whatever new term someone has coined for basically a picture)...

Just like the "Dirty Jobs" motto. Making civilized life possible for the rest of us.

I salute you.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-13219-1370278550-36.gif

And this, my friend, is why we are your fans too.

giphy.gif

tumblr_m8vnwpPL9r1qhd14co1_500.gif

• Like 2

This is a warning for all those who enjoy the show: Don't read the forums.

Huh...What an odd thing to write in the forums...

mikerowe_uh-huh.gif

If it's any consolation, I'd say we're the ones really missing out.

• Like 3

"Don't read the forums"... which they posted on the forums?!

• Like 1

A belated Congratulations to Mr. Cameron H on the upcoming birth. Huzzah and good tidings!

And if the name "Poe" is off the table, then I must make the all-to-obvious alternative suggestion of Star Wars references in "Finn." They are, as we all know, Connected at the cosmic level...

giphy.gif

• Like 3

As promised, we're going to start talking about this movie today. I only had a chance to re-watch the beginning of it though, so I may have some more stuff tomorrow.

For now, I'm just going to post this:

image.jpg

For those who can't read it, "Can't Stop the Nuts" Ice cream was: coconut and nut flavored ice creams with both chocolate and candy covered almonds and a milk chocolate ribbon. My biggest issue is with the ice cream flavors. First of all, I find the term "nut flavored" ice cream to be distressingly vague. Also, coconut flavored ice cream? Gross. The fact that they didn't go with a Sweet Cream flavor feels like a huge oversight on Baskin-Robbins' part...

• Like 5

As promised, we're going to start talking about this movie today. I only had a chance to re-watch the beginning of it though, so I may have some more stuff tomorrow.

For now, I'm just going to post this:

image.jpg

For those who can't read it, "Can't Stop the Nuts" Ice cream was: coconut and nut flavored ice creams with both chocolate and candy covered almonds and a milk chocolate ribbon. My biggest issue is with the ice cream flavors. First of all, I find the term "nut flavored" ice cream to be distressingly vague. Also, coconut flavored ice cream? Gross. The fact that they didn't go with a Sweet Cream flavor feels like a huge oversight on Baskin-Robbins' part...

Could it have been vague on purpose? I'm sure we're all familiar with the term busting a nut. I graduated high school in 2005 and at that time semen was referred to almost exclusively as jizz and nut. It feels weird to have wrote that...

• Like 2

Could it have been vague on purpose? I'm sure we're all familiar with the term busting a nut. I graduated high school in 2005 and at that time semen was referred to almost exclusively as jizz and nut. It feels weird to have wrote that...

Nothing weird about that at all...

So we're both agreed that the ice cream flavors should have been "Bust a" Nut and Sweet Cream then, right?

Here's my over sharing bit, the reason I'm not fond of coconut anything--especially shredded coconut--is because the mouth feel of that stringy shit always feels like I have a mouth full of pubes. It's like going down on someone who doesn't maintain that area after they've been to the beach all day and slathered themselves in tanning oil. Anyone else? Just me? Okay.

• Like 3

Never fails, every time I try to read that my brain goes "heh. Can't stop deez nuts."

Here's my over sharing bit, the reason I'm not fond of coconut anything--especially shredded coconut--is because the mouth feel of that stringy shit always feels like I have a mouth full of pubes. It's like going down on someone who doesn't maintain that area after they've been to the beach all day and slathered themselves in tanning oil. Anyone else? Just me? Okay.

I can understand that. I'm not a fan of the fake coconut smell, especially tanning oil, and that's because I spent a lot of time in a video rental place in a small town when I was a kid called "Video shack" that was a video rental/tanning salon. Yup. It was either that place or another video store down the street (there were only two in that town, no blockbuster) that was more dimly lit, but I had to walk through the horror section to get to the video games, and the Childs play movies were right at my sightline, so I tried to avoid that place at all possible.

• Like 2

CORRECTION:

Okay, I'm coming after Esposito.

In the episode she says, "Are you trying to tell me that men didn't wear, like, full Native American costumes to work at a straight bar."

Now, I don't blame Cameron for missing this as I didn't catch it until this morning, but the bar they are working at, Gute, the Native American, and the Cowboy, is a place called "Saddle Tramps." I'm thinking that their outfits are to keep in line with the club's aesthetic and theme. I think the Indian and Cowboy mix it up and dance all sexy like with the customers to hype up the crowd. Now, I admit, the Cowboy doesn't directly say he works there, but if you look closely during the "S-s-s-Samantha" song (My favorite song in the movie, btw), you can see another (schlubbier) cowboy struggling with a lasso on the side of the dance floor.

He appears at about 1:08.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35Yi53XJvqk

So given that their wardrobes are less of a costume and more like work uniforms, I think it is entirely possible that you would find someone dressed like that at a bar--straight, gay, or whatever.

As for the Construction worker...I'm not exactly sure what his deal is. Everyone else seems to be dressed for their profession, but during the opening, rollerskating-bliss scene, The Construction Worker peeks out of a manhole cover. Later, he is at the club with everyone else dancing with all the hot ladies. And finally, we come to find out that he's a commercial actor. My problem with him is that he never changes his clothes! Does he have a closet just bursting with denim, or is he wearing the same shit-soaked clothes everywhere he goes? Because, wash them as much as you want, dude, you ain't getting that sewer stank out of those duds. Is it possible he's going "method" for his commercial and really want to experience what it's like to be in the shit?

And lastly (for now), for a music composer, The Gute sure does dance like he borrowed his legs from an seven toed, chimpanzee with a inner ear infection.

88ccc4908b6fd9f9effc29d687464143.gif

I get that dancing is not exactly his thing, but you'd think he'd have some rhythm given his dream to write dance songs for a living...

• Like 2

I honestly hope Scott books Cameron on as many podcasts as possible just to piss everyone here the fuck off. It would be so fucking funny to see all these soft hearted bitches be "offended" to the extreme. Earwolf can start an Oppression Olympics podcast.

Well no, it wouldn't be 'funny', and the people getting offended aren't the ones saying "I didn't think this was very funny", its the ones who can't stand anyone sharing an opinion that isn't effusively positive if it is said about someone who is not a white man. They're offended that someone could possibly have anything but praise and that someone would dare share said opinion

Scott can book Cameron all he wants, and myself and others will share our thoughts on the episodes, so in conclusion nothing will change

• Like 2

Does anyone else feel that eating a hefty plate of lasagna is possibly the worst thing to eat prior to a full evening of patio sing-dancing? I feel like the the cheese would make me phlegm up, the carbs would feel like there were a ton of bricks in my stomach, the salt would cause me to bloat, and all that bouncing around would result in a lot of disgusting, marinara and garlic scented burps. It would be like eating sashimi before bedding your best friend's wife--and as Hulk Hogan has taught us--that's never a good idea.

According to VoiceLessons.com she should have been serving:

...a healthy “singers meal” about 2 hours prior to a performance. A singer’s meal would be balanced in 1) lean meat, chicken, fresh fish, eggs, or a high quality vegetable protein such as tempeh or tofu; 2) a complex starchy carbohydrate such as whole grain bread, brown rice or potato (not much butter, and no sour cream); and 3) plenty of fresh vegetables and/or fruits (citrus fruits however seem to cause mucous or dryness in some singers). Make sure to never stuff yourself, especially before a performance.

Or as ballerina, Michaela DePrince says on refinery29.com:

...it’s hard to dance on a stomach filled with lasagna...

It's like Samantha cares more about breaking her diet than her singers turning in a good performance. Not cool, Sam!

Also, do you think there was any animosity between The Village People when the Police Officer was brought in? I can't imagine that conversation was easy. The Native American, Construction Worker (who said this was his dream), and the Cowboy, all signed up for the evening as a trio, and suddenly, this other dude shows up (who nobody knows), waltzes in, and takes over as the lead singer. I don't know about you, but I'd be piiiiiiiiiiiiissed.

Construction Worker: "Hey Jack, um, who is this guy? I thought it was just the three of us?

Jack: "I have no idea, but I'm glad he's here, because you guys suck. Besides, I think he might know I'm high, so just be cool."

Lastly, and I can't believe it hasn't been brought up before this, but who is everyone's favorite Village Person? Mine is the Cowboy, and I'll tell you way. He has kind of this folksy charm that I find endearing, super kind eyes, and gives off a real Donny Osmond vibe. I feel like he would be the best friend you would ever have.

ETA: I'm doing my best here, guys :)

• Like 2

Why does Jason take issue with Paul's love of the Gute at the end of the episode? You gotta love the Gute! We have a podcast dedicated to celebrating his whole catalog in chronological order called Gotta Love the Gute. Our episode 3 is all about Can't Stop the Music. We were pretty hard on that movie, but in episode "05 - The Man Who Wasn't There" we realized the error we had made.

If you are like Paul and love the Gute, check out our podcast!

• Like 2

Does anyone else feel that eating a hefty plate of lasagna is possibly the worst thing to eat prior to a full evening of patio sing-dancing?

I used to be a hardcore singer. Now I'm not so much. (I've done some musical theater and sang opera in high school.)

dairy is AWFUL! Not just for the phlem, but 30 minutes to an hour later you're feeling nauseous and gassy.

My go to was iced tea and fatty meat before a performance, but I was a little bit of a rebel. ha!

• Like 3

Not just you. I hate coconut. I also don't really like the flavor but the consistency is what kills it. "Can't Stop the Nuts" kind of sounds disgusting to me. This is why Ben and Jerry are more famous, Baskin Robbins.

the "S-s-s-Samantha" song (My favorite song in the movie, btw), you can see another (schlubbier) cowboy struggling with a lasso on the side of the dance floor.

He appears at about 1:08.

Random fact! Wikipedia told me that "David London" is a stage name for Dennis Frederiksen, who also sang with Survivor ("Eye of the Tiger") and Toto ("Africa"). https://en.wikipedia...nis_Frederiksen He did sing backup on the "Eye of the Tiger" album so maybe it's him doing the BLAM. BLAM. BLAM. BLAMs?

He also performed as "Fergie" for awhile before Stacy Ferguson ruined that for him with her obsession with spelling.

Also, did anyone else expect all the Village People to show up in the roller skating opening? Because the Construction Worker does. So I was like, "Oh the cop will be directing traffic at one point.... but how will they fit the Native American in...?" NOPE. Just the Construction Worker. Why did he get placement in that and no one else? Or did I miss them?

(Thanks to Gotta Love the Gute for the video!)

• Like 3

I've totally had Milkshake pop into my head randomly for the past couple of days.

• Like 3

Not just you. I hate coconut. I also don't really like the flavor but the consistency is what kills it. "Can't Stop the Nuts" kind of sounds disgusting to me. This is why Ben and Jerry are more famous, Baskin Robbins.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. Who would go into a Baskin-Robbins and order that when--from what I hear--they have something like 29 other (better) flavors to choose from?

And since I really want this thread to implode with a shared hatred for coconut, aside from the consistency (which we both agree is gross) it's also one of those foods that, based on the scent, promises one flavor, but delivers something totally different. I don't mind the smell of coconut, but goddammit it lies to you! It's kind of like how I felt when I initially tried coffee. I used to love the smell of coffee, but it always tasted like hot, rancid, stink water. Of course, I've since learned the errors of my ways, and learned that by adding every sweetener under the sun and plenty of cream, coffee is about the best thing in the world. Basically, my coffee drink of choice would be if you just let a scoop of coffee ice cream melt and poured it into a cup, I'd be in Heaven.

A lot of food talk today...

• Like 3